Handling concurrent access with excel spreadsheets

We have a scenario in my group where one user may be
updating a spreadsheet, and 3 or 4 others may be
accessing it in read-only mode at the same time.   When
all is said and done, it is not uncommon for nobody to be
able to get into the sheet in update mode, even after all
users who had been in the sheet have exited.   This
seemed to become an issue with the introduction of
Windows XP.

Short of trying to convince people to only go in one at a
time, does anyone have any concurrent access tips to
offer?   Or, is there a way to inquire on all enqueues
against a given sheet and then be able to release those
enqueues?  We're running Excel 2002 on XP Professional
5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.021108-1929:Service Pack 1)

0
anonymous (74717)

A potentially similar problem I've experienced involved an Excel file
that was set up for sharing, although I don't think that had anything
to do with the issue itself. (Note that if you have sharing turned on,
you can get a list of all users who currently have the file open.)
There seems to be a bug that only affects Excel files stored on Windows
file servers when you access them from an XP client. I'm no server
techie, but here's my limited (and probably flawed) understanding...

The server does not properly register the status of the file and make
it available for other users to access (not even for our shared file).
We would get various error messages, including the file being in used
by other user, being "unable to access the file", or even unable to
locate the file (despite that I double-click on the file itself to open
it!).

Our IT department had a MS Hotfix which seems to have corrected the
problem. I want to say the Hotfix was KB825760, but I can be certain.
That might be something to look into.

---

Reports: Excel?
Can great plains generate reports in Excel file format? Or do you have to save it as a CSV or Txt (Tab) file first and then open it in Excel? Generally if you are using the report writer in Great Plains you have to use CSV or Txt as you suggest. Look at Smartlist to see if you can get the same information there. "spraycan77" wrote > Can great plains generate reports in Excel file format? Or do you have > to save it as a CSV or Txt (Tab) file first and then open it in Excel? > > If you look at what they are doing around the product, you might get the idea that ...

accessing hotmail
grettings all Is there a way to access my hotmail or yahoo mail from outlook 2000 -- Cash With a third party tool like Hotmail Popper you can. Don't know about Yahoo. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "Cash" <Cash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31143CAB-37D4-46AD-A374-D45BA6843F94@microsoft.com... > grettings all > > Is there a way to access my hotmail or yahoo mail from outlook 2000 &...

access reports automation
can some one guide me how to open an access repot 97 using office object model and read the variables in the report using VB.NET thanks sri There are instructions for how to do it from VB in the following KB articles: ACC: How to Use Automation to Print Microsoft Access Reports: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];145707 ACC: Using Microsoft Access as an Automation Server (Q147816) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];147816 Hopefully you'll be able to translate those instructions to .Net. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougS...

Saving in Excel #3
I have a problem that just started last week. When I modify a cell with new text I cannot save the file until I click off the cell. I used to be able to click save without clicking off the box. Can someone tell me how to fix this? The save icon is still enabled for me when I'm editting a cell. (I use xl2003.) You could try resetting the standard toolbar: tools|customize|toolbars tab select the Standard toolbar click reset be aware that any customized changes you've made to that toolbar will have to be recreated. ====== If that doesn't help, how about a test: Close excel wi...

Exchange 2K to 2K3 migration
I'd like to get some advice on the best approach to handle the STM file during an Inter-Org mailbox move. The Exchange migration wizard will handle the the mailbox but how do you handle the content in the STM file? Thanks. You don't need to worry about it. Mailbox data is stored in both the EDB and STM files. Typically, message content from the Internet will be in the STM file. I'd suspect that when you migrate the mailboxes, all data will be converted to native MAPI format (moved to EDB file) and will then be moved to the new mailbox. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP Me...

Illegal Error Mess when i open spreadsheet
hello i get the following windows based error message when i open a office 2k spreadsheet. i get the message with the white screen. excel the program has performed an illegal operation, if this contines please contact your vendor EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 0167:308d0b99. Registers: EAX=00629c74 CS=0167 EIP=308d0b99 EFLGS=00010212 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00628684 EBP=0062868c ECX=00000002 DS=016f ESI=00000000 FS=593f EDX=00000008 ES=016f EDI=00629c74 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: f3 a5 8b ca 83 e1 03 f3 a4 5f 5e 5d c3 8b 4d 10 Stack dump: ffffffd8 00000000 00629db...

Handle to an ActiveX control
Hi... What if I use GetModuleHandle(L"abc.ocx") in the InitInstance() of the of the App class derived from 'COleControlModule'...of the ActiveX control "abc.ocx" ? Will I get the Handle or it will return NULL....? I have encountered controls, in some of them..handle is found and in others its NULL... Wat is the reason behind this behavior..? Can any one explain? "Abby++" <asthana.abhinav@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174308443.062622.51500@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > What if I use GetModuleHandle(L"abc.ocx") in the InitI...

cmdReset on Access 2000
Hello Forum Members: I have setup the following using Access 2000: 1) cmdFilter button on the Form Header on the Main Form 2) cmdReset button on the Form Header on the Main Form 3) Sub Form inside the Main Form cmdReset button is working as far as I am on the Main Form to just reset (clear) the words that I typed on the unbound text box. What I want to accomplish is that on the filtered Sub Form, when I hit the cmdReset button, I want the screen to go back to the original non-filtered Main Form. The code below just resets (clears) the words on the unbound text box and it does not allow m...

invalid handle
hi frds i m very new in vc++ and i m founding too much difficulty in this so plz can any one solve this problem .... actully i m inserting a image in list box using this code ........ everything is returning write thing still it is saying invalid handle after ImageList_Add(hList,m_hBmpNew,0); when i m going to dibug it plz help me BOOL Fun() { // Create 256 color image lists HIMAGELIST hList = ImageList_Create(32,32, ILC_COLOR8 , 8, 1); HBITMAP m_hBmpNew = (HBITMAP) LoadImage( AfxGetInstanceHandle(), // handle to instance "c:\\img.bmp", /...

Cannot access OMA page
I've read through a number of the threads here, but haven't been able to find an answer. Apologies in advance if this has already been solved. Would appreciate a pointer to a thread if so. Environment: Windows Server 2003 Advanced SP1, up-to-date (DCSRV) Exchange Server 2003 SP2, up-to-date (EXCHSRV) Basically I can't get ActiveSync/OMA to work, so I started by trying to access the OMA page through a browser. I'm seeing the following behavior when I try to access OMA: Browser (IE6) displays: "Unable to connect to your mailbox on server EXCHSRV. Please try again ...

Excel 2007 Pivot charts, any way to display filters on the chart?
New to 2007, searched, no joy. In prior versions, when building a pivot chart, one could see the filters and their values on the actual chart; page filter, categories, and X axis. in 2007, I don't see this as an option; filters are in their own dialog box and are not displayed on the actual chart. This is problematic especially for page fields because I used the displayed filters as proxies for chart titles; you could easily see if the displayed chart was filtered for a data subset or for all data. Now, I need to remember to add the filter information to the chart title...

excel histograms
trying to create a histogram in excel have my class intervals in one column like this 449.5 - 474.5 474.5 - 499.5 499.5 - 524.5 524.5 - 549.5 549.5 - 574.5 574.5 - 599.5 I have no idea what goes where on the next page thats opens up (the data analysis histogram tool) there is "input range" what goes here? Bin range.. what goes here? i have this set of data in this table layout Class Int Midpoint (x) Freq (f) Rel Freq Culm fx fx� 449.5 - 474.5 462 3 0.15 3 1386 1920996 474....

Access information sharing
I was wondering if there was a way to send information to another computer in a form or anywhere else for that matter. I have a database and I need to send a copy of each form to another person everytime a new record is created. Idealy it needs to be easy so non-computer-savy people can do it. Why not just use the database as it was designed, and simply put the data on a server and connect a front-end (forms, reports, etc.) to it from each workstation? -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "mpdpilot" <mpdpil...

Sorting Columns on HTML file created in Excel
Hi.. I'm not sure if I'm just searching for the wrong words, but can't find the answer to this.. I've created an excel file, about 15 columns.. In excel, I can sort the columns easily, but, I've saved the file as HTML now. How can I make it that those columns can still be sortable on the internet? Is there special code I need to put somewhere? I've seen javascript codes that can do this, but I would like to do it all via excel if possible. Any help appreciated! Thanks, -- Rob Hi Terri and Rob, You could include the JavaScript (Bookmarklet) within your HTML cod...

Opening files in Excel 2003
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark ...

Thunking a 32-bit HANDLE to a 64-bit HANDLE
Currently I am converting a 32-bit WDM driver to a 64-bit KMDF driver that will continue to work with our 32-bit DLL and our customer's 32-bit applications. The sample code for thunking 32-bit items shows the following Buffer->Handle = (HANDLE)Buffer32->Handle; see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa489604.aspx Buffer32->Handle is declared as UINT32 Handle The driver compiler issues error number C4312 for this cast. The code that I have adopted (to get it to compile) is: handlerInputs.hEvent = (HANDLE) (ULONG_PTR) p_handlerInputs3...

axis font excel chart?
how can I change the font of the scale in an excel chart? Right-click on the relevant axis. Format Axis/ Font/ Size: -- David Biddulph "ColinB" <ColinB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B1096F8-87B3-4642-BCC8-0EEE11FE0DED@microsoft.com... > how can I change the font of the scale in an excel chart? ...

Access 97 to Access 2002 conversion
Hi all, I have an app in VB which contains Acc97 as backend. I need to convert this to Acc2002. I think there are some data type differences in the two formats, and their sizes also. Will it affect my app then? Do all data types of Acc 97 exist in Acc 2002 ? Are a few deleted in the later version? Also my app uses SQL queries to pull data from Access tables. Will it be affected in any manner ? Are there any such known conversion issues ? Please suggest. Thanks, KK You will find some tips on converting here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html Access 2002 will support...

Format several pages at once w/o data changing (Excel).
I have a user that used Lotus 123 to format several pages at once; however, not changing the data within the cells amongst these pages. So whenever you format the sheet, the other sheets format as well. And if you change a number, it will only change on that sheet and not the rest. We are now using Excel 2003 and was wondering if it had the same capability as Lotus 123. I was unsuccessful in finding a way to do this. You can group sheets by holding down the CTRL key as you click the sheet tabs. Any changes made to one sheet will be made to all grouped sheets. Right-click a sheet an...

access to attachments #3
Dear Guys, I am unable to view any attachments emailed to me as Outlook Express is blocking it: I am getting a "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail" Secondly I got a technician to set up Outlook as my default email, but all emails received are going to my Outlook Express. Any help most appreciated Yours sincerely Craig For Outlook Express: Tools > Options > Security tab > uncheck second box from the top concerning attachments. Microsoft Outlook 2000 SP3 (part of Office) and newer can use the steps mentioned at http://www.sliptick.com...

opening an excel file from a form
Hello, i want to open a specific excel file from a form that is part of a database that i have designed. Sggestions as to how this can be acheived will be greatly appreciated. Regards. How to determine where the file lives is impossible to say without more info, but if you already have that in the database, then: Application.FollowHyperlink "full path to file" ie, Application.FollowHyperlink "\\Server\share\file.xls" Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\Excelfiles\file.xls" -- hth, SusanV "Alylia" <Alylia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Daily Bank Sweep
New GP Client that is reconciling for the first time their operating account. We have entered the last reconciled balance and dates as of 12/31/08. Operating account gets swept every night and redeposited the next day. With each sweep interest is calculated. My question is how to handle the last sweep of the month, which is a sweep in transit. We have tried entering as a decrease adjustment (not posting to GL as it should not effect the GL balance). We have also tried entering as an adjustment to see what the effect is. We don't even come close to the bank ending balance. Pl...

Converting files to excel
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to convert a .bsf file to an excel file??? I don't know what a .bsf file is, but someone is trying to get me some information and we keep having to use the fax. Email is so much easier, but I can't open the file. Any insite would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day... creativeamy Are you sure that is not .csv file? Do you data for cells separated by a comma, semi-colon or a TAB (which you won't see) One line of data per table row. Check these http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=BSF http://www.quartus.com/software/i...

Excel 2002 #5
Is there a way to set an excel file to open to the same worksheet regardless to where it was last saved? Trip, In the ThisWorkbook code module, put the following code. Change "Sheet1" to the desired worksheet name. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Select End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Trip Levert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:095401c3bdaa$69673f90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to set an excel file to open to the s...

Is It Possible to Control Access Warning Pop-Up Message Boxes?
When running an update query, Access displays a warning message box and prompts for a response ("You are about to run an update query that will modify data in your table"). I have a macro that runs a series of update queries. Right now, I get the message box/response for each query. In this case, there is no need for the message box at all. Is there a way to (ideally) turn off this message for the duration of the query) or to answer it once for all of the queries? Thanks TerryoMSN It is possible to turn the warning off ... WARNING!!! If you forget to turn it bac...