freezing formatting

I would like to be able to "freeze" the formatting for the number of decimal places in cells - some will need to be integers, some will need three decimal places, etc. The problem comes when I paste in information; the number of decimal places I have formatted the cell for is overridden by the pasted-in data.  Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74719)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:31:05 -0700, "H"

>I would like to be able to "freeze" the formatting for the number of decimal places in cells - some will need to be integers, some will need three decimal places, etc. The problem comes when I paste in information; the number of decimal places I have formatted the cell for is overridden by the pasted-in data.  Any ideas?

The most obvious one is to paste special -> paste as values rather
than simply pasting the new data. That will leave your original
formatting in place. You can customise your standard toolbar to
include an icon for doing that.

Hank Scorpio
- FINALLY back with a working computer!
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
0
ApolloXVIII (173)

Upload customer info stored in CSV format directly to RMS
We are undertaking a drop ship program. We receive order notification through a program called VendorNet. We also submit tracking info and invoices through VendorNet. We want to automatically dump customer info from VendorNet to RMS. We need to be able to upload a .csv file into RMS, and provide a map of the layout of the order of the fields that the .csv file needs to have to successfully sync with RMS. Any suggestion or a lead to a third party program is very well appreciated. Krish Krish, If you have SQL Server, DTS packages are well suited for this type of thing. - Evan Culver...

Email format #4
Something happened to all of my outgoing emails yesterday when I tried to reply to an email received. Either in the reply format or to set up a new outgoing email I am getting these reverse paragraph symbols (sorry, I don't know their actual name), and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this format which is now there on a default basis. Please advise. Thanks Lewis If you're using Word as your email editor see if you've got any of the formatting symbol view options turned on here while in a new mail message: Tools menu > Options > View tab "Lewis Shanks&qu...

Format data Sheet size?
I am working in Excel 2007 (beta) I have created my sheet and was able to remove sheets 2 & 3 which I don't need. I would like to trim the size of the sheet and only print the contents of my data but do not know how to remove the excess columns/rows which mae up a full Excel sheet. Is there a way of saving my sheet with only the cells I have data in compacting my sheet for future reference without the extra cells? Not sure about Excel 2007 but try hitting Ctrl and End to find the last used cell. then delete (not clear contents, delete) all the columns to the right of the last...

CEICW freezes at configuring firewall
Hello, this post in in relation to my other post of the ntbackup not working. I did a restore and the backups works fine, and i was just testing everything out, when i noticed, the CEICW was not working correctly. IT always freezes at configuring firewall and its 1cm away from finishing that. IT causes the computer to lockup. there are no errors in the event log, or in the ICW.log. the log stops with no errors. I even went back 3 months with the backup and it still has the same problem. I found a working backup from 09 but the active directory has changes so much that it is n...

Format an underline for zero in accounting format
I am preparing financial statements on Excel. The bottom number in a column is 0. It's underlined, but only from the left edge to the dash that represents the 0. I think I heard once about a custom format you could use to keep the dash, keep it lined up & have the underline go all the way across the cell. Does anyone know how? Thank you. You could use Conditional Formatting to do this. Assume you want this to apply from A2 to A20 - select those cells so tht A2 is the active cell and bring up the conditional formatting dialogue box. Choose Formula Is rather than Cell Val...

How do I conditionally format a chart?
I need to format a chart in Excel so that values in certain ranges (such as 0-19, 20-39, 40-59...) are shown in different colors. There are too many records to change each one manually, and some also may change, so the formatting would change too. I know how to condionatlly format cells (which works fine), but I can't get that to be shown in the chart. Thanks, M. Hi, You can create conditional charts by using extra data series for each colour required and some worksheet formula. Here are some links on conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.htm...

Outlook 2007 freezes/crashes on startup most of the time
A little more than 50% of the time, Outlook 2007 freezes for me on startup. Usually it is very early on -- according to the task manager, there has been very little I/O when it freezes. When frozen, there is no I/O or change in RAM usage. It appears to be totally dead. After killing the task and restarting a few times, sometimes it will start up fine, other times it will ask me to disable an add-on. The add-on to be disabled appears to be varied randomly. Usually if I disable the add-on, it starts up okay, and then I can re-enable the add-on from the trust center and it works fine from then o...

Message Format in Reply or Forward
Is it possible to use HTML as message format for reply and forward whatever it was HTML or not? I'm running OL2003 with Word as editor. Thanks, Charles You can change the format of your reply to any of the three formats but you have to do it manually while composing the reply "Charles Leung" <charles@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:uCml4thhFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > Is it possible to use HTML as message format for reply and forward > whatever it was HTML or not? I'm running OL2003 with Word as editor. "Charles Leung" <c...

Freezing panes
I wish to freeze the upper left corner of the first 5 cells (A1:A5) so that if I scroll right or down the freezed cells will just stay visible whereever I am in the sheet. But I cannot manage to do so. When I freeze the cells and if I scroll down, then the RHS of the freezed cells stay also freezed which I don't want. I just want to freeze the cells and if I scroll right or down the unfreezed parts should scroll as I do. I tried split but also same problem appears. Any solution? You could open a new window to the same sheet and arrange them so that both are visible on s...

How to preserve Rich Text Format on replies??
Our Exchange server is version 5.5 still. I want to set up the Exchange server such that if a domain user replies to a message that arrived in Rich Text format from another Outlook user on the Internet the reply shall also be in rich text. As it is now our users receive the message in rich text. Then they reply and edit the reply with rich text so they can color code certain parts of it. And they also copy the reply to a user in the same company, i.e. on the same Exchange server. But when the reply is sent out to the original sender he receives the message in plaintext, whereas the internal...

Graph formats after updates
I am trying to keep a set of graphs linked in a document to their excel file. The problem is that I cannot select the option to keep them the same size and format when they are updated. The option is greyed out. Please help me! ...

Formating Data in a Formula
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to format the returned data from a specific section of a formula. What I would like to do is concatenate a date with other data in my spreadsheet. However, when I try and do this - CONCATENATE (C2,C3) where C2 is the date, C2 is displayed in the cell in the numeric value of the date. Is there a way to format C2 as the actual date value within the formula? Is there any other way that I can get the data to display in the format I'm looking for? Thanks. Hi! Try using this CONCATENATE(TEXT(C2,"mm/dd/yyyy",C3) Regards, Rajni <lj@...

Excel Auto Formatting Help
I have a workbook to record orders. I have set data validation for the product codes so that product name, description and supplier are entered. I would also like to set the format on the price field so that if I choose 'X' product the price cell format is � or if I select 'Y' product the cell format is in �. Thanks Try setting up a separate table that contains your prices, then you can do a VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP to find the price that correlates to that code. Another method would be to do an "IF, THEN" statement. IF(C2=X,"$50", IF(C2=Y,"$80",&q...

Freezing
When I delete messages, Outlook freezes and gives the message that Outlook is not responding. ...

install of Office 2004 freezes at User Information screen
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Hi, I'm trying to install Office 2004 on my G5 Mac (using Leopard) and when the installation reaches the User Information screen, it freezes and has to be force-quit. This is true when I use the Setup Assistant or when I do a drag-and-drop installation. I googled and found one person with the same problem- they had solved it by running Autoupdate, so I did that, but it didn't help. Any advice would be appreciated very much! I'm useless without my Excel spreadsheets! Thank you. -Emily Hi Emily - Did your ...

Outlook freezes #15
Outlook freezes when I try to send a file attachment ...

Excel 2002 Date Formatting
Assuming the date entered is "01.27.2005", I want to format as "JAN.2005" (not "Jan.2005") - is this possible? Can you use a helper cell and show the results there? =UPPER(TEXT(DATEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","/")),"mmm.yyyy")) Worked ok with my USA date settings (mdy). substitute() changed the dots to slashes. datevalue() made it a real date text() changed it to Jan.2005 and upper() changed the case. skoladycz wrote: > > Assuming the date entered is "01.27.2005", I want to format as "JAN.2005" > (not &...

Conditional Formatting question #9
I have to color code several cells depending whether they are on target or not. Ex. 100% of Target = Green 90-100% of Target = Yellow <90% of target = Red Any help would be much appreciated. James ...

formatting columns #2
Is there a way to format a column so that no number ever repeats? So if a 3rd party is entering an ID number, and it already exists, it won't let them... Check out this web page of Chip Pearson: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Chris Shearman" <chris.shearman@midwestwireless.com> wrote in message news:ODYdn$C$FHA.215...

Outlook 97 Mail Format
I know this sounds archaic, but I upgraded from Outlook Express to Outlook 97 on my computer. I now am faced with the problem that incoming mail, when opened, is presented in plain text along with the attached '*.html' file. In order to receive the HTML view, I must then double click the HTML attachment. Or as an alternate method, I can right-click the unopened mail in the Inbox and select View Attachments. I find it very odd that this was not necessary in Outlook Express and now that I've "upgraded," I must perform this extra step. I've searched the optio...

freeze pane #2
How do I stop the frozen pane, which in my case is a row, from being included in a sort check the "Header Row" radio button >-----Original Message----- >How do I stop the frozen pane, which in my case is a row, from being included in a sort >. > Select the area you want sorted. Don't include the frozen area. then sort. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "farmwife" <farmwife@hull-o.com> wrote in message news:518E67A8-7E42-42F3-A73B-238196AB95D7@microsoft.com... > How do I stop the frozen pane, which in my case is a row, from being included in a sort ...

Excel to CSV: Formatting Quote Marks
We have an application we use (MAS 500) that imports CSV files. We use Excel to create these files; however, since the last upgrade of our application, we are now required to have the header in each CSV file use the following format: "@HDR","BATCH","20060127","Daily 1/27/2006","" "@HDR","JOURNAL","","1" The problem is getting the quotation marks right. It will look fine in Excel, but no matter what I try, it won't give me the format above. Instead, the CSV file will have either no quote marks o...

IE8 freezes/hangs with video Web sites?
Hello. Is there a known issue with Internet Explorer v8.0, in old Windows XP, freezing/hanging on various video Web sites? My friend and others, on http://www.videosift.com/talk/This-site-keeps-getting-hung-up, say people are having problems there and other video Web sites (e.g., http://www.roblox.com/). Thank you in advance. :) -- "It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant&...

hour format
Guys, What about the hour format. I have 93000 or 181500 and I need it to be 9:30 or 18:15 Thanks and I really tried to find a solution before posting the message -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following formula =TIME(LEFT(A1,1+LEN(A1)=6),MID(A1,2+LEN(A1)=6,2,RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Guys, > What about the hour format. > > I have 93000 or 181500 > > and I need it to be > > 9:30 or 18:15 > > Thanks > > and I really tried to find a solution before posting the message. > > >...

Outlook freezes and freezes my computer
Whenever Outlook sends and receives it freezes Outlook as well as whatever I am working on. It is so frustrating and time consuming work wise. I disabled add ins but it did not help. Please advise. What type of email accounts do you have configured? How many? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@P...