Formula to total items from a drop list with values in several col

I am trying to create a formula for the following:

Have spreadsheet locate all columns matching "name" and total those columns
total and provide grand total, please see example listed below

Column A  Column D Column G Column H
Dog           10                           35
Cat            15            10
Mouse        19                           48
Cat             10            2             7
Cat            15             1            19
(All other colomns have various other information listed)
Grand Totals:
Dog = ? (answer: 45)
Cat = ? (answer: 79)
Mouse = ? (answer: 67)

Thanks!!
MD

0
Mittens (1)

you could sumif each column using a sumif formula and then sum the respective
rows.Or are you wanting a drop down box to select say cat and get the
appropriate sum....sumproduct maybe?(I am not quite up with the play on that
function......:) )
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Rescues Mittens" wrote:

> I am trying to create a formula for the following:
>
> Have spreadsheet locate all columns matching "name" and total those columns
> total and provide grand total, please see example listed below
>
> Column A  Column D Column G Column H
> Dog           10                           35
> Cat            15            10
> Mouse        19                           48
> Cat             10            2             7
> Cat            15             1            19
> (All other colomns have various other information listed)
> Grand Totals:
> Dog = ? (answer: 45)
> Cat = ? (answer: 79)
> Mouse = ? (answer: 67)
>
> Thanks!!
> MD

help with formula please #2

Value from a closed workbook
Hi How can I extract a value from a closed workbook? I've tried with the 'Indirect' function but have since learnt that this doesn't work when the wookbook is closed i need something like A1="C:\folder\<filename> TIA Hi Anthony I have examples on my site http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony Slater" <AnthonySlater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3790E107-1BA5-40F2-853A-B31BC04FECF3@microsoft.com... > Hi > > How can I extract a value from a closed workbook? &...

Counting List Box Items
I have a form with several list boxes. One is for services provided, another is for county call received, another for referred by, and etc. I need to be able to count the results of these categories. When I run my report, these fields are included and I get a long ... cell of "0"s and "1"s. I realize "0" indicates the first item in the list box was not selected and the "1" indicates items that were selected. (In some cases, more than one item can be selected such as services provided.) But, I have to count over the intergers to see where it i...

Appending or Up-dating a formula

drag and drop to/from MacJournal
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I used to be able to do this but now cannot. Had an unrelated problem which caused me to repair hard drive, to reload word programs, and update them - I have both 2004 and 2008 and neither give me this functionality any more - it is sorely missed. I used to be able to work on a .doc or .docx on my desktop and drag it back and forth into Macjournal as needed. Hope I just have a wrong box checked somewhere. I am still able to do this with Excel, btw. Much obliged for any help. Rita The operation of dragging files ...

Dynamically change Icon of List control
Hello all I want to change the icon of the list control dynanically ?? Regards use SetImage function of the CListCtrl Mathieu "Aftab Alam" <aftab.alam@ascertia.com> wrote in message news:%23IT0LQunDHA.644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello all I want to change the icon of the list control dynanically ?? > Regards > > > ...

help with a formula #5

Running Total from a Subform
I have a unbound control box (called textbox 20) in the details section on my subform that calculates unit price and units orders. The data source looks like this ...=[UnitPrice]*[UnitsOrdered] I want to get a running total set up on my main form. Before I do that I'm pretty sure I need to set up my header on the subform. In my subform, I entered another unbound textbox (called textbox 26) on the header with a datasource that looks like this =sum([textbox20]). Both of these control boxes are set to currency and when I try to preview the form, my header gives me a #...

Problem getting values in iframe
Hi, I have placed an iframe to the account form. This iframe calls an .aspx page that is also placed on the same server as the CRM. I am trying to get an value from the CRM form to the .aspx page in the iFrame. my function that I call upon "onLoad": <script language="javascript"> function GetSomeValues() { document.getElementById('TextBox1').value = parent.document.forms[0].all.name.DataValue; } </script> This fails! I get the message: "Access denied!" Is there any setting in the CRM I have forgotten to turn on or off?? Can a...

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Determine subform total before code runs
I asked this question before, but it was in another thread. The only person replying in that thread did not post in response to my follow-up question after several days, so I am posting again. I have a typical Purchase Order database (Access 2003) in which the main PO information is in the PO record (and on the main PO form) and the line items are in a related table (and appear on a continuous subform). There is more, such as a Products table, but it is not relavant to the question at hand. Every PO is approved by several departments. When the line items total for a single purchase ...

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

Including a formula in a path name.

Inventory Values Copied from Old into New Items
Guys, When I use the Copy function to create new items from older items, the invenory values are carried over. In other words, the On Hand, Committed... field values under the Inventory tab are the same as the source item. Now, this cannot be correct behaviour, since a new item is independent onto its own, with its inventory quantities totally unrelated to the item from which it was originally copied. Anybody has come across this before? How can I set this right? Thanks, This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C92EF5.0E1EBB10 Content-Type: text/plai...

FORMULA #14

How to search and add a value from sheet1 to sheet2
Hi, Let's say you have one sheet with a list of products. Column1 = product name Column2 = product number I would like to have a cell on Sheet2, where I can start typing something, and it would let me see a list based on what I typed so far. E.g when I type "Volks" it should show a list of all Volkswagen Cars. If I then choose the value, it should use this value and add the product number in the cell next to it. What function should I use, or how can I do this? Thanks, Roel Roel You could use Data Validation drop-down list for the selecting the product name and VLOOKUP ...

Pull Unique Values From a List/Table
How can I pull unique values from a table? I track vendors who might sell multiple items, but I only need to show the vendor once so I can pull other information. There are also may be blanks in the rows if the vendor is inactive. Thanks! Let me add one more twist to this problem: The unique values also need to filter out where it may be 'VendorA - West' and 'VendorA - East' and combine them into one record. I only need it to show VendorA and not both records East and West (same company, just different drop ship location). Thanks! "Karl Burrows" <kfb1@spa...

Clearing the recently used list of other users folders
Hi Does anyone know how to clear the list of previously opened 'other user's folders' under File/Open. I have a user who only needs to open the calendars of a couple of people but has four on her list. She keeps clicking on the wrong one as the names are similiar. I've tried going to 'Customise' to drag them off to no avail and can't find anything in Tools/Options to clear the list. My only other last resort 'solution' is to open the calendars of two completely different names so that she doesn't get confused anymore! But would love to kn...