Formula to return a formula

At least I think that's what I'm looking for. here's my situation:
I've got a sheet where there is a variable (X) that changes depending on
what row it is on. So I have a column  (column c) that lists these variables
(X is dependant on things from a different sheet).

X is a muliplier that is utilized differently depending on the value of N. N
is a Picklist selection and can change periodically. Or even be duplicated on
more than one row.
I have a vlookup that checks the value of N (column a) and needs to return a
formula that has X applied if needed on the appropriate row (column b).

Example:
for cells c3, c4, c5, X= 2, 3, 7 respectively.
If N="age", then I need 5*X
If N="both", then I need X/2
If N="cans", then I need 20/X+1

Row 3:
if N (a3) is "age" b3 should return (and calculate) 5*2
if N (a3) is "both" b3 should return (and calculate) 2/2
if N (a3) is "cans" b3 should return (and calculate) 20/2+1

Row 4:
a4 is "age"; b4 should be 5*3
a4 is "both"; b4 should be 3/2
a4 is "cans"; b4 should be 20/3+1

Row 5:
a5 is "age"; b5 should be 5*7
a5 is "both"; b5 should be 7/2
a5 is "cans"; b5 should be 20/7+1

This is looking fairly complex so I hope my question is understandable. I've
been fighting with this for days now and have exhausted every How-To and help
file I can find on Excel. I'm hoping someone can help with this.

Hope i have understand what you trying to say. In B3, copy this formula
=IF(A3="both",C3/2,IF(A3="age",5*C3,20/C3+1)) drag this down to B5.

"Pelldom" wrote:

> At least I think that's what I'm looking for. here's my situation:
> I've got a sheet where there is a variable (X) that changes depending on
> what row it is on. So I have a column  (column c) that lists these variables
> (X is dependant on things from a different sheet).
>
> X is a muliplier that is utilized differently depending on the value of N. N
> is a Picklist selection and can change periodically. Or even be duplicated on
> more than one row.
> I have a vlookup that checks the value of N (column a) and needs to return a
> formula that has X applied if needed on the appropriate row (column b).
>
> Example:
> for cells c3, c4, c5, X= 2, 3, 7 respectively.
> If N="age", then I need 5*X
> If N="both", then I need X/2
> If N="cans", then I need 20/X+1
>
> Row 3:
> if N (a3) is "age" b3 should return (and calculate) 5*2
> if N (a3) is "both" b3 should return (and calculate) 2/2
> if N (a3) is "cans" b3 should return (and calculate) 20/2+1
>
> Row 4:
> a4 is "age"; b4 should be 5*3
> a4 is "both"; b4 should be 3/2
> a4 is "cans"; b4 should be 20/3+1
>
> Row 5:
> a5 is "age"; b5 should be 5*7
> a5 is "both"; b5 should be 7/2
> a5 is "cans"; b5 should be 20/7+1
>
> This is looking fairly complex so I hope my question is understandable. I've
> been fighting with this for days now and have exhausted every How-To and help
> file I can find on Excel. I'm hoping someone can help with this.

automated message returns
How do you setup automated message returns in Outlook and Outlook Express (for things like vacation)? Is it through the program or through the internet provider? Any info would be appreciated! For Outlook, if you are connecting to an Exchange Server you can use the Out of Office Assistant for this purpose. If you're a standalone user, you can spoof the OOA using the Rules Wizard, but Outlook must be kept running in order for the rule to work, and of course the rule will reply to everyone, even spammers. Look here for more information: http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm -- ...

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

try/catch, return from catch ?
Is this baaad? try { m_Database.OpenEx( sDSN ); return TRUE; } catch( CDBException* pxE ) { pxE->Delete(); return FALSE; } or MUST I exist the try/catch clause first before returning to allow some kind of clean up? e.g. BOOL bFail = FALSE; try { m_Database.OpenEx( sDSN ); } catch( CDBException* pxE ) { pxE->Delete(); bFail = TRUE; } return !bFail; Lisa The second method is better method. It will allow cleanup tooo if required. But i think it is not a good idea to write code which includes negations as it can be written without that. In the second c...

Including a formula in a path name.

VLOOKUP returns incorrect data
I am using VLOOKUP to determine addresses from a master list. However I have found that if the Lookup Value is NOT in the Table Array, I will get incorrect information. For example if the Table Array has entries for Schmidt and Schultz, and I attempt to lookup Schnell (which is not in the Table Array), I will get the value for Schultz, which is incorrect. How can this be avoided? Or, how can I get a message saying the Lookup Value was not found - rather than getting incorrect results? You would have missed out the last argument of VLOOKUP() Range_lookup which is a logical...

FORMULA #14

Report returning table ID, not actual table data
I have a table which has First Name and Last Name as fields. I have another table used for problems that references this into 1 field called FullName. The properties for this is a combobox and the row source is: SELECT [EmployeeID], [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] FROM Employees ORDER BY [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName]; Now I am trying to create a report from the Problems table that will only show open problems. I did this by creating a query. The query is correct . My problem is with the actual report. Instead of listing the Name field, it is...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Blank cell return after each data entry
I have a data entry Sheet for loading details to Invoice (sheet 1) and this data entry sheet loads as soon as file opens. It open with the cells still with old datas in, is there a way of either the cells being empty when next data load or actually clearing after use / enter the buttoms (macro) - OK / Next ? Rdgs. Sudipta Maybe you should create a template from your data entry sheet! A new workbook opened from a template shall always have empty cells. -- Regards! Stefi „Sudipta Sen” ezt írta: > I have a data entry Sheet for loading details to Invoice ...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

inserting multiple fonts in default return address

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...