Formula to Convert Numbers to Words

What is the formula to convert numbers to words?

Example:

Number                Words
568                      Five Hundred Sixty Eight
-2

There is no direct functions to convert this. For a VBA solution check out
the below links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213360
http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm

Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Kiley" wrote:

> What is the formula to convert numbers to words?
>
> Example:
>
> Number                Words
> 568                      Five Hundred Sixty Eight
Never mind - it's the second link in Jacob's response!

Here is some VBA code to do what you want.  Use the first function in the
cell where you want the number spelled out (=SpellNumber(A1), etc).  I can't
remember where I found this code...

'Main Function
Function SpellNumber(ByVal MyNumber)
    Dim Dollars, Cents, Temp
    Dim DecimalPlace, Count, NegativeSign
    ReDim Place(9) As String
    Place(2) = " Thousand "
    Place(3) = " Million "
    Place(4) = " Billion "
    Place(5) = " Trillion "
    ' String representation of amount.
    MyNumber = Trim(Str(MyNumber))
    ' Position of decimal place 0 if none.
    DecimalPlace = InStr(MyNumber, ".")
    ' Convert cents and set MyNumber to dollar amount.
    If DecimalPlace > 0 Then
        Cents = GetTens(Left(Mid(MyNumber, DecimalPlace + 1) & _
                  "00", 2))
        MyNumber = Trim(Left(MyNumber, DecimalPlace - 1))
    End If
'
    If (Left(MyNumber, 1) = "-") Then
        MyNumber = Right(MyNumber, Len(MyNumber) - 1)
        NegativeSign = "Negative "
    Else
        NegativeSign = ""
    End If
    Count = 1
    Do While MyNumber <> ""
        Temp = GetHundreds(Right(MyNumber, 3))
        If Temp <> "" Then Dollars = Temp & Place(Count) & Dollars
        If Len(MyNumber) > 3 Then
            MyNumber = Left(MyNumber, Len(MyNumber) - 3)
        Else
            MyNumber = ""
        End If
        Count = Count + 1
    Loop
    Select Case Dollars
        Case ""
            Dollars = "No Dollars"
        Case "One"
            Dollars = "One Dollar"
         Case Else
            Dollars = Dollars & " Dollars"
    End Select
    Select Case Cents
        Case ""
            Cents = " and No Cents"
        Case "One"
            Cents = " and One Cent"
              Case Else
            Cents = " and " & Cents & " Cents"
    End Select
    Dollars = NegativeSign & Dollars
    SpellNumber = Dollars & Cents
End Function

' Converts a number from 100-999 into text
Function GetHundreds(ByVal MyNumber)
    Dim Result As String
    If Val(MyNumber) = 0 Then Exit Function
    MyNumber = Right("000" & MyNumber, 3)
    ' Convert the hundreds place.
    If Mid(MyNumber, 1, 1) <> "0" Then
        Result = GetDigit(Mid(MyNumber, 1, 1)) & " Hundred "
    End If
    ' Convert the tens and ones place.
    If Mid(MyNumber, 2, 1) <> "0" Then
        Result = Result & GetTens(Mid(MyNumber, 2))
    Else
        Result = Result & GetDigit(Mid(MyNumber, 3))
    End If
    GetHundreds = Result
End Function

' Converts a number from 10 to 99 into text.
Function GetTens(TensText)
    Dim Result As String
    Result = ""           ' Null out the temporary function value.
    If Val(Left(TensText, 1)) = 1 Then   ' If value between 10-19...
        Select Case Val(TensText)
            Case 10: Result = "Ten"
            Case 11: Result = "Eleven"
            Case 12: Result = "Twelve"
            Case 13: Result = "Thirteen"
            Case 14: Result = "Fourteen"
            Case 15: Result = "Fifteen"
            Case 16: Result = "Sixteen"
            Case 17: Result = "Seventeen"
            Case 18: Result = "Eighteen"
            Case 19: Result = "Nineteen"
            Case Else
        End Select
    Else                                 ' If value between 20-99...
        Select Case Val(Left(TensText, 1))
            Case 2: Result = "Twenty "
            Case 3: Result = "Thirty "
            Case 4: Result = "Forty "
            Case 5: Result = "Fifty "
            Case 6: Result = "Sixty "
            Case 7: Result = "Seventy "
            Case 8: Result = "Eighty "
            Case 9: Result = "Ninety "
            Case Else
        End Select
        Result = Result & GetDigit _
            (Right(TensText, 1))  ' Retrieve ones place.
    End If
    GetTens = Result
End Function

' Converts a number from 1 to 9 into text.
Function GetDigit(Digit)
    Select Case Val(Digit)
        Case 1: GetDigit = "One"
        Case 2: GetDigit = "Two"
        Case 3: GetDigit = "Three"
        Case 4: GetDigit = "Four"
        Case 5: GetDigit = "Five"
        Case 6: GetDigit = "Six"
        Case 7: GetDigit = "Seven"
        Case 8: GetDigit = "Eight"
        Case 9: GetDigit = "Nine"
        Case Else: GetDigit = ""
    End Select
End Function

Function GetOrdinalDates(theDate As Date, Optional theStyle As Integer) As
String
    Dim daySuffix As String, theDateStr As String

    If (IsMissing(theStyle)) Then
        theStyle = 1
    ElseIf (theStyle < 1 Or theStyle > 3) Then
        theStyle = 1
    End If
'
    On Error GoTo errhandler
    If Not IsDate(theDate) Then
        GetOrdinalDates = "Oops!"
        Exit Function
    End If
   ' Determine date format.
   Select Case Day(theDate)
      Case 1, 21, 31
         daySuffix = Day(theDate) & "st"
      Case 2, 22
         daySuffix = Day(theDate) & "nd"
      Case 3, 23
         daySuffix = Day(theDate) & "rd"
      Case Else
         daySuffix = Day(theDate) & "th"
   End Select
   ' Use ONE of the following formats.
   ' Remove the remark(apostrophe) from the
   ' command lines that produce the desired format.
   ' -----------------------------------------------
   ' - Format example: 24th day of February, 1999
   Select Case theStyle
   Case 1
        theDateStr = daySuffix & " day of " _
           & Format$(theDate, "mmmm, yyyy")

    ' - Format example: February 24th, 1999
    Case 2
        theDateStr = Format$(theDate, "mmmm") & " " & _
            daySuffix & Format$(theDate, ", yyyy")

    ' - Format example: Tuesday the 24th, 1999
    Case 3
        theDateStr = Format$(theDate, "dddd") & " the " & _
           daySuffix & " day of " _
           & Format$(theDate, "mmmm, yyyy")
    End Select

    GetOrdinalDates = theDateStr
    Exit Function
'
errhandler:
    GetOrdinalDates = "Oops!"
End Function

HTH,

Eric

"Kiley" wrote:

> What is the formula to convert numbers to words?
>
> Example:
>
> Number                Words
> 568                      Five Hundred Sixty Eight
Bernie Deitrick's UDF doesn't seem to handle negative numbers...

"Kiley" wrote:

> What is the formula to convert numbers to words?
>
> Example:
>
> Number                Words
> 568                      Five Hundred Sixty Eight

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Missing Contacts in Word 2002 compared to contacts in Outlook 2002
When I try to print an envelope in Word using the Outlook contacts, those contacts without a fax number or email address don't show up. I need all of them to show up. The address book in Word will show all of your Contacts. How are you invoking the address book? How did you configure it? -- Russ Valentine "Paul Johnson" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:uKiYg26pKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > When I try to print an envelope in Word using the Outlook contacts, those > contacts without a fax number or email address don't show up. I need all ...

Can I Increase The Length Of The Serial Number?
Is it possible to increase the length of the serial number field? We use some very long serials and the software will not accept the whole of the serial number. Thanks. You can try testing on a demo database but I am pretty sure that RMS will not like your changes. I know from experience that if you did the same thing with the ILC or Description fields this will cause RMS to crash. Rob "El Preisdente" wrote: > Is it possible to increase the length of the serial number field? > > We use some very long serials and the software will not accept the whole of > the s...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

calculate per day usage with a number range
I have the check in date and the check out date for a large group. I would like to see how many rooms are used per day for the period. Column A = Check in date (ex: 2-feb) Column B = Check out date (ex: 10-feb) How can I tell how many rooms were used on 6-feb, how many on 7-feb, etc? Thanks so much for your help! Put the date of interest (e.g. 6-feb-2008) in D2 then in E2 use this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A$100<=D2)*(B$2:B$100>=D2)) You can copy the formula down to calculate for more date in column D "peabody" wrote: > I have the check in date and the check out dat...

To find out number of sundays and saturdays in january month
Hai all, How I can find out the number of saturdays and sundays in January For example in A1 and B1 cell represents Saturdays and Sundays. How I can find out the number of saturdays and sundays in that month and to write in corresponsing A2 and B2 column . Please help with thanks and regards Pol =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(DATE(2008,1,1)&":"&DATE(2008,1,31))),1)=1)) Would tell you the number of Sundays in January of 2008. =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(DATE(2008,1,1)&":"&DATE(2008,1,31))),1)=7)) Would tell you the number of Saturd...

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

Random number generator expression used
My final year (Statistics degree) project is concerned with the PRNG in MS Excel. It was stated by the lecturer in Simulation Studies that this PRNG was no good for simulation purposes .. the cycle length is not long enough. So that I can test this statement I need to be able to run the in-built PRNG so that it repeats the sequence of generated random numbers. This cannot be done in situ as there are not enough cells available (max 16k ?). I would propose to run the PRNG as a VBA macro - or stand_alone in VB6 - but for that I need to obtain the mathematical expression that is used ...

Heading numbers in the left margin
Hi, I'm trying to create outline numbered headings, where the number is located in the left margin. I try to accomplish this using a negative value for "NumberPosition" on the ListTemplate. Initially, this works fine, but as soon as I click on the Heading's number, the whole paragraph, including the number, "jumps in" to the right so that the number is located exactly at the margin instead of to the left of it. I define my styles and ListTemplate in VBA, the relevant portion of which reads: With .ListTemplate.ListLevels(1) .NumberPo...

Word Table into Excel
When I copy a row of text (divided into a number of columns) from a wor table and paste in Excel - it copies down all information from acros the columns down into ONE column (col A) instead of across int seperate columns. Is there any way I can copy over details from table in word to cells into Excel without writing VB -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com you can create a table in Word that is the same size as the excel information that you are trying to move and then simply copy and paste (when pasting make sure that you highlight the entire table though.) >-----Origi...

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

Genrating text and auto number
How to generate auto number but i want it to be combination with text Example L0001, THEN L0002 and so on..how? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Emily, What does the 'L' stand for ? Will this field contain other series of numbers that start with some other letter but which must also start sequencing at 00001? By storing more than one piece of information in a single database field, you are violating the first normal form of database design. I would recommend you store the letter designator in a separate field. Assuming that you have other letters, that mu...

paste to word
How do I paste from excel to word, witout getting the grid lines? I have tried filling whole sheet with white and when I paste to word, I still get the grid lines. Ross In Word - Table|Hide Gridlines -- Ian -- "Ross" <ssor@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:WGzZe.2177$7b6.328@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > How do I paste from excel to word, witout getting the grid lines? I have > tried filling whole sheet with white and when I paste to word, I still get > the grid lines. > > Ross > Thanks Ian, Boy am I thick. I should have known that :) Ross &...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Product "Convert To Kit"
Hello, I am trying to understand how MSCRM 4 uses kitting. We have the need to kit (bundle) multiple products together and present as 1 line on a quote form that shows the total value of the Kit. I see that CRM has some kitting capability, but I can't really figure out how it works. It doesn't appear to automatically add the associated kit products to the opportunity/quote/order etc. Do I need to just add those products seperately on each quote, and then when printing the quote it will know how to associate them as 1 line? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Chris Brown ...