Formula to calculate time

I was wondering if anybody knows of a formula to allow you to do calculations 
based on time. In other words, say I want to put a list of songs on a CD and 
their durations. Then, I want to add up the durations to get the full time of 
the CD, or my specific play list. So for example, using the information below:

Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. --- 5:23 (Just a guess)
Phantom of the Opera Overture --- 3:55 (Another guess)

Instead of 8:78, I'd want to see 9:18

Can this be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-- 
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
  |    |
  |c--OD   
  |    _)
  |    |
  |-.  |
 /   `-#  /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
   ||LJ `m''
ptaylor

0
PaulESI (43)
8/12/2005 2:01:05 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

6 Replies
1030 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 7

Instead of 5:23 and 3:55

write 00:05:23 and the same for 00:03:55

HTH

"Paul (ESI)" wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody knows of a formula to allow you to do calculations 
> based on time. In other words, say I want to put a list of songs on a CD and 
> their durations. Then, I want to add up the durations to get the full time of 
> the CD, or my specific play list. So for example, using the information below:
> 
> Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. --- 5:23 (Just a guess)
> Phantom of the Opera Overture --- 3:55 (Another guess)
> 
> Instead of 8:78, I'd want to see 9:18
> 
> Can this be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
> 
> -- 
> Have a nice day!
> 
> ~Paul
> Express Scripts,
> Charting the future of pharmacy
> 
> ~~~~~~
>   |    |
>   |c--OD   
>   |    _)
>   |    |
>   |-.  |
>  /   `-#  /A
> / /_|..`#.J/
>    ||LJ `m''
> ptaylor
> 
0
8/12/2005 3:11:02 PM
Unfortunately, the following is only helpful if you don't mind putting
the hours and minutes in separate cells.

If this is ok then you could use these formulas to total:

HOURS
=INT((SUM(-[range of hour column]-)*60+SUM(-[range of minute
column]-))/60)


MINUTES
=SUM(-[range of hour column]-)*60+SUM(-[range of minute
column]-)-(-[cell where hours formula, shown above, is located]-*60)

Dan


-- 
Voodoodan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voodoodan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=597
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395311

0
8/12/2005 3:35:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks, that works. You know something? I feel silly now, though. I 
didn't even bother to try first, I just assumed it would need some kind of 
formula to understand time. I found out, though, if I just type it in some 
kind of time format, Excell calculates it as time. It even worked when I just 
typed in 5:23 and 3:55.

-- 
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
  |    |
  |c--OD   
  |    _)
  |    |
  |-.  |
 /   `-#  /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
   ||LJ `m''
ptaylor



"traineeross" wrote:

> Instead of 5:23 and 3:55
> 
> write 00:05:23 and the same for 00:03:55
> 
> HTH
> 
> "Paul (ESI)" wrote:
> 
> > I was wondering if anybody knows of a formula to allow you to do calculations 
> > based on time. In other words, say I want to put a list of songs on a CD and 
> > their durations. Then, I want to add up the durations to get the full time of 
> > the CD, or my specific play list. So for example, using the information below:
> > 
> > Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. --- 5:23 (Just a guess)
> > Phantom of the Opera Overture --- 3:55 (Another guess)
> > 
> > Instead of 8:78, I'd want to see 9:18
> > 
> > Can this be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
> > 
> > -- 
> > Have a nice day!
> > 
> > ~Paul
> > Express Scripts,
> > Charting the future of pharmacy
> > 
> > ~~~~~~
> >   |    |
> >   |c--OD   
> >   |    _)
> >   |    |
> >   |-.  |
> >  /   `-#  /A
> > / /_|..`#.J/
> >    ||LJ `m''
> > ptaylor
> > 
0
PaulESI (43)
8/12/2005 3:35:39 PM
Oops. Nevermind, I spoke to soon. Unless I enter it the way you said, it 
takes it as hours and minutes instead of minutes and seconds. So, I have to 
enter it the way you said or it won't work.

-- 
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
  |    |
  |c--OD   
  |    _)
  |    |
  |-.  |
 /   `-#  /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
   ||LJ `m''
ptaylor



"Paul (ESI)" wrote:

> Awesome! Thanks, that works. You know something? I feel silly now, though. I 
> didn't even bother to try first, I just assumed it would need some kind of 
> formula to understand time. I found out, though, if I just type it in some 
> kind of time format, Excell calculates it as time. It even worked when I just 
> typed in 5:23 and 3:55.
> 
> -- 
> Have a nice day!
> 
> ~Paul
> Express Scripts,
> Charting the future of pharmacy
> 
> ~~~~~~
>   |    |
>   |c--OD   
>   |    _)
>   |    |
>   |-.  |
>  /   `-#  /A
> / /_|..`#.J/
>    ||LJ `m''
> ptaylor
> 
> 
> 
> "traineeross" wrote:
> 
> > Instead of 5:23 and 3:55
> > 
> > write 00:05:23 and the same for 00:03:55
> > 
> > HTH
> > 
> > "Paul (ESI)" wrote:
> > 
> > > I was wondering if anybody knows of a formula to allow you to do calculations 
> > > based on time. In other words, say I want to put a list of songs on a CD and 
> > > their durations. Then, I want to add up the durations to get the full time of 
> > > the CD, or my specific play list. So for example, using the information below:
> > > 
> > > Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. --- 5:23 (Just a guess)
> > > Phantom of the Opera Overture --- 3:55 (Another guess)
> > > 
> > > Instead of 8:78, I'd want to see 9:18
> > > 
> > > Can this be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
> > > 
> > > -- 
> > > Have a nice day!
> > > 
> > > ~Paul
> > > Express Scripts,
> > > Charting the future of pharmacy
> > > 
> > > ~~~~~~
> > >   |    |
> > >   |c--OD   
> > >   |    _)
> > >   |    |
> > >   |-.  |
> > >  /   `-#  /A
> > > / /_|..`#.J/
> > >    ||LJ `m''
> > > ptaylor
> > > 
0
PaulESI (43)
8/12/2005 3:43:57 PM
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:01:05 -0700, "Paul (ESI)"
<PaulESI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if anybody knows of a formula to allow you to do calculations 
>based on time. In other words, say I want to put a list of songs on a CD and 
>their durations. Then, I want to add up the durations to get the full time of 
>the CD, or my specific play list. So for example, using the information below:
>
>Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. --- 5:23 (Just a guess)
>Phantom of the Opera Overture --- 3:55 (Another guess)
>
>Instead of 8:78, I'd want to see 9:18
>
>Can this be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Not sure what your problem is.  Did you try it?

If I put 

A1:	5:23
A2:	3:55
A3:	=A1+A2  =9:18

Of course, Excel is interpreting this as 9 hrs 18 min and not 9min 18sec; but
all you have to do is divide by 60, it it's important.

In the first case, format the result as [h]:mm
If you divide by 60, format as either [m]:ss or [h]:mm:ss depending on how you
want your output.


--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
8/12/2005 3:48:59 PM
"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

>Of course, Excel is interpreting this as 9 hrs 18 min and not 9min 18sec; but
>all you have to do is divide by 60, it it's important.

Yeah, it worked okay except for that. All I had to do was enter in the full 
time (including 0 hours) the way traineeross said and it worked fine. Thanks 
for your suggestion as well, Voodoodan. That actually probably will come in 
handy for a future project, where it will be more beneficial for me to use 
your suggestion instead.

-- 
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
  |    |
  |c--OD   
  |    _)
  |    |
  |-.  |
 /   `-#  /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
   ||LJ `m''
ptaylor



"Voodoodan" wrote:

> 
> Unfortunately, the following is only helpful if you don't mind putting
> the hours and minutes in separate cells.
> 
> If this is ok then you could use these formulas to total:
> 
> HOURS
> =INT((SUM(-[range of hour column]-)*60+SUM(-[range of minute
> column]-))/60)
> 
> 
> MINUTES
> =SUM(-[range of hour column]-)*60+SUM(-[range of minute
> column]-)-(-[cell where hours formula, shown above, is located]-*60)
> 
> Dan
> 
> 
> -- 
> Voodoodan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Voodoodan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=597
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395311
> 
> 
0
PaulESI (43)
8/12/2005 4:46:06 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

help with formula please #2
Can anyone please help with this formula. If Sheet1 Column A = nothing(blank) And Column B = \\\\\\CC\\\\\\ Then Sheet 2 B7 = SumTotal. As a regular formula would be nice or VB code Hi Richard you want nothing at all in the whole of column A in sheet 1? do you want every cell in column B of sheet 1 to have \\\\\\CC\\\\\\ or should this (can this) only appear in one cell? and what range are you summing on sheet 2 in cell B7? Cheers JulieD "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82ce01c477e1$77f0e740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone please ...

Appending or Up-dating a formula
I am using an =Ave function in a formula to average quite a few cell values together. I add new information all the time; sometimes 5 or 6 new cells at a time. How can I append or up-date my formula to include these new cells with out have to type the new cells into the formula? When I make the cell that has the formula in it active/edit, all of the cells that are referenced in the formula have a highlight around them. Is there a key or key combination I can press while clicking on the cells I want to add to the formula? Thanks, john Hi see your post in Excel.misc -- Regards Frank ...

Changing a range of an array in a SUMPRODUCT formula gives a #N/A error
I have a working SUMPRODUCT formula {=SUMPRODUCT(($C$4:$C$4341=z8)*(audittypefm1="Standard"))} that I need to change the 1st array to C5623. When I do I get a #N/A error. I've tried giving the range a name (empnofm2), and I've verified all the data in the C4:C5623 range is formated the same (general, it is all employee numbers from 2 to 5 digits long. I'm using a "trim all" macro which is working great. I am unable to determine what is causing the #N/A and how to fix it. Basically I copied an entire worksheet within the same workbook and changed the name, wh...

help with a formula #5
I have 98 sets of magazines each set has 12 in the set what formula can I use to get a total of issues in all sets have you tried 98*12 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message news:eZ66ZEGHGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have 98 sets of magazines each set has 12 in the set > > what formula can I use to get a total of issues in all sets > =98*12 or =A1*A2 if the numbers are in A1 and A2 -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Just Me" <n...

Outlook 2003 HTML reverts to Times New Roman
This was probably asked and answered but haven't found anything exactly like my problem so here goes. Mail format set to HTML do not use Word as editior Message composed using Arial 12 point. Select Message convert to plain text Select Message convert to HTML and defaults to TNR Have checked every setting in Word and Outlook and modified every possible setting to use any font other than TNR. Is this fixable? -- MichaelIRS http://forums.slipstick.com ...

Formula #29
Hi, What formula should I use if I want it to look at a specific cell and then work out the total number between two numbers. e.g. if cell H6 had 7-4 entered the number 9 would be returned. Thanks in advance I'm not sure how you got 9, but your life would be much easier if you used two separate cells and then subtracted the smaller from the larger (and then added one???). Boenerge wrote: > > Hi, > What formula should I use if I want it to look at a specific cell and then > work out the total number between two numbers. > e.g. if cell H6 had 7-4 entered the number 9 woul...

Can offset be used in this formula?
Can the offset be used in the below formula for the information in column "K"? In column L have the the following formula's L46 =MAX($I46*1000-$K$46*$J46,0) L47 =MAX($I47*1000-$K$46*$J47,0) .... L99 =MAX($I99*1000-$K$46*$J99,0) What I'd like to do is to copy the fomula into columns M, N, O, ... M47 =MAX($I47*1000-$K$47*$J47,0) M48 =MAX($I48*1000-$K$47*$J48,0) M49 =MAX($I49*1000-$K$47*$J49,0) .... N48 =MAX($I48*1000-$K$48*$J48,0) N49 =MAX($I49*1000-$K$48*$J49,0) .... O50 =MAX($I50*1000-$K$50*$J50,0) O51 =MAX($I51*1000-$K$50*$J51,0) .... How abou...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.
I have a report that must be turned in the night before for tomorrow's date. Is ithere a date formula that will return tomorrow's date to a cell in Excel? One way: =TODAY() + 1 In article <668782AC-774A-475F-9821-8A4C3B14A983@microsoft.com>, "Shadyhosta" <Shadyhosta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a report that must be turned in the night before for tomorrow's date. > Is ithere a date formula that will return tomorrow's date to a cell in Excel? I assume that you want the date to remain static after entry. Easiest way, use 2...

Weekday formula
Can anyone help with the weekday formula. What I want to do is enter the date in say A1 11/20/2003 and have B return the answer of Thursday. Currently I use the weekday formula bu only returns the number of the day. Thanks in advance B ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com There are several ways to do this. One is to enter =A1 and format the cell with a custom number format of dddd. Another way is to use the function =TEXT(A1,"dddd"). -- Cordiall...

calculate per day usage with a number range
I have the check in date and the check out date for a large group. I would like to see how many rooms are used per day for the period. Column A = Check in date (ex: 2-feb) Column B = Check out date (ex: 10-feb) How can I tell how many rooms were used on 6-feb, how many on 7-feb, etc? Thanks so much for your help! Put the date of interest (e.g. 6-feb-2008) in D2 then in E2 use this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A$100<=D2)*(B$2:B$100>=D2)) You can copy the formula down to calculate for more date in column D "peabody" wrote: > I have the check in date and the check out dat...

time out error
I'm using a D-link router not a Linksys my out-going e- mails with attachments always time out. Using Outlook 2002 on XP. Can anyone help? ...

How to calculate how many cells have a value of less than 3?
What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be anywhere from 1-10) and want to be able to easily get the total number of entries that are either 1,2, or 3. Thanks... =countif(a1:b99,"<=3") is one way. FISH wrote: > > What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a > range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? > > I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be any...

Formula to return a formula
At least I think that's what I'm looking for. here's my situation: I've got a sheet where there is a variable (X) that changes depending on what row it is on. So I have a column (column c) that lists these variables (X is dependant on things from a different sheet). X is a muliplier that is utilized differently depending on the value of N. N is a Picklist selection and can change periodically. Or even be duplicated on more than one row. I have a vlookup that checks the value of N (column a) and needs to return a formula that has X applied if needed on the approp...

Count formula within a named range.
Hi, How do I change the following formula =SUMIF($F$39:$F$79,"PW Shopfitters",$D$39:$D$79)/COUNTIF($F$39:$F$79,"PW Shopfitters") to count within a named range (PW Shopfitters). Any help would be great. Cheers, Phil Hi A range name cannot have spaces, maybe that's your problem. Name your range PW_Shopfitters. Then replace your cell references with PW_Shopfitters, eg =Sumif(PW_Shopfitters,"PW Shopfitters",............ -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "PW11111" wrote: > > Hi, > &g...

How to use a text formula as code formula
Hello. I have this formula loaded from a text field on a form: val([field10])+val([field20]) and I would like to use this as a code formula. I mean, if I use that in VBA code it works, but If I load from a text field it doesn't work. I need that my form use that formula stored in a text field to calculate values. Regards in advance, Marco responded to in another newsgroup. It's rarely necessary to post the same question to more than one group. If it is necessary, select all the relevant newsgroups in the "To:" or "Newsgroups:" field. That way, folks who...

Including a formula in a path name.
Dear MS, How about a new function for this one. I'm sure MANY users have the same problem as me. The research below seems quite comprehensive and has effectively come up against a brick wall. Thanks Peter Harlan Grove posted this UDF: http://www.google.com/groups?selm=hkQVb.2432%24_4.259%40www.newsranger.com Peter wrote: > > Very Helpful Papou - thank you! > Do you know of an additional / alternative method where you achieve the same tihing but are not required to have all the relevant work sheets open? > Many thanks > Peter > > "papou" wrote: > ...

Run-time error on setting textbox
I am trying to set a value to a textbox on a subform from a selection in a popup form. The textbox is bound to a table field (which is a foreign key / number field). The listbox on the popup returns a number. When I do: Forms!frmMainform!frmSubform.Form!txtNumber = Me.lstbox I get the following error: Run-time error 2448 You can't assign a value to this object I have another very similar form where I am able to set a value into a bound textbox. Why, then, can't I do it on this form? Is there some property that is set wrong or something? I need to be able to set this valu...

FORMULA #14
What formula in access can do =COUNTIF(CAF!D:D,A3) Basicly I have 2 tables I want the 2nd table to count how many times a number is listed in the 1st table. I am trying to do this with a query and the count expression but keep getting errors. Dont bother with this one guys just figured it out AMDGUY [MCP] wrote: > What formula in access can do > =COUNTIF(CAF!D:D,A3) > > Basicly I have 2 tables > > I want the 2nd table to count how many times a number is listed in the > 1st table. I am trying to do this with a query and the count expression > but keep getting e...

What does the $ symbol mean in a formula?
What does the $ symbol mean in a formula? example: =G8*($A$14*2)*100 thanx The $ is used for absolut referencing. For e.g lets take your formula =G8*($A$14*2)*100 suppose you enter this formula in cell B2, now simply copy this formula one cell to the right (C2) by and one cell down (B3). C2: =H8*($A$14*2)*100 B3: =G9*($A$14*2)*100 So you see that The original G8 has changed, whereas $A$1 remains the same in both the new formulae because of the dollar signs. Mangesh "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D86597A4-C0A1-46AF-9DA6-FE06AB9C1FA0@mi...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Simple calculated field problem
Hi, I am very new to Access and am trying to do something I think should be reasonably simple, but can't work out the syntax I need. My database is to track weight loss. I have only one table at the moment (this will grow but my problem only involves a single table), which is called 'Measurements'. The table has only 3 fields, 'Date', 'Weight' and 'Fat%'. I would like to be able to track weight loss from one day to the next, so am trying to make a query that shows, for each day, the values in the Weight and Fat% fields, and a calculated field tha...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...