Formula that will recongize text

I have a spreadsheet with one page for my report and another page that holds
my data that is updated on a regular basis so I automated it.

The problem is my formula only recognizes numbers and the data contains
numbers and text.  I use sumif because there is not any repeated data.

Here is my formula:

=SUMIF('Morning Star '!$A$1:$A$25,$N$3,'Morning Star '!B$1:B$26)

> =SUMIF('Morning Star '!$A$1:$A$25,$N$3,'Morning Star '!B$1:B$26)

> The problem is my formula only recognizes numbers and the data contains
> numbers and text.

You can't SUM text so I do not understand what it is that you are trying to
do.  Can you describe what it is gthat you want to do in other words?

--
Regdads

Sandy
sandymann@mailinator.com
Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

"sweetsue516" <sweetsue516@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a spreadsheet with one page for my report and another page that
>holds
> my data that is updated on a regular basis so I automated it.
>
> The problem is my formula only recognizes numbers and the data contains
> numbers and text.  I use sumif because there is not any repeated data.
>
> Here is my formula:
>
> =SUMIF('Morning Star '!$A$1:$A$25,$N$3,'Morning Star '!B$1:B$26)

0
sandymann2 (1054)
8/30/2005 8:01:26 PM
Sandy,

I need the formula to tell me what is in the cell.

Example:

On sheet one Column A1:25 list my funds.  Column B1:25 list their
performance for the past month.

On sheet two I download the information to update the performance on a
regular basis.

The sumif formula looks up my fund on sheet one then looks it up on sheet
two to load the performance on sheet one.

Let me know if I explained this well enough or not and thank you for your
help.

"sweetsue516" wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet with one page for my report and another page that holds
> my data that is updated on a regular basis so I automated it.
>
> The problem is my formula only recognizes numbers and the data contains
> numbers and text.  I use sumif because there is not any repeated data.
>
> Here is my formula:
>
> =SUMIF('Morning Star '!$A$1:$A$25,$N$3,'Morning Star '!B$1:B$26)

Hi sweetsue,

Mmmm......   I am not posh enough to have a list of funds <g> but let us
see:

I am assuming that:
sheet two is named "Morning Star"

the list of fund names in sheet one is in A1:A25
the list of transferred updates is in sheet one in B1:B25

'Morning Star' also has a list of funds in A1:A25
'Morning Star' has the downloaded updates in B1:B25
the updates are text values like +30  or -50 etc

You wish to transfer the latest updates from 'Morning Star' B1:B25 to sheet
one B1:B25

I the above is correct then I would use INDEX/MATCH in sheet one:

=--INDEX('Morning Star'!$B$1:$B$25,MATCH(A1,'Morning Star'!$A$1:$A$25,0))
and copy it down from B1 to B25

This looks down 'Morning Star' A1:A25 to find a Matching name with sheet one
cell A1, then indexes down 'Morning Star' B1:B25 the same number of cells to
get the update.  The update will be a text value and so to change it onto a
number I have added a double negative at the start to convert the text
number into a number.

If you want the value of the fund B1:B25 to be automatically updated by the
amount of update in 'Morning Star' B1:B25 then set Iteration to 1 and use
the formula:

=B1+(--INDEX('Morning Star'!$B$1:$B$25,MATCH(A1,'Morning
Star'!$A$1:$A$25,0)))
and copy it down B1:B25

If I am completely off the wall then post back and perhapd one of our posh
friend who look after their own funds in Excel will jump in with a better
solution.

--
HTH

Sandy
sandymann@mailinator.com
Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

Oh yes!  Always try something new on a COPY of your spreadsheet.........
just in case!

> Sandy,
>
> I need the formula to tell me what is in the cell.
>
> Example:
>
> On sheet one Column A1:25 list my funds.  Column B1:25 list their
> performance for the past month.
>
> On sheet two I download the information to update the performance on a
> regular basis.
>
> The sumif formula looks up my fund on sheet one then looks it up on sheet
> two to load the performance on sheet one.
>
> Let me know if I explained this well enough or not and thank you for your
> help.
>
> "sweetsue516" wrote:
>
>> I have a spreadsheet with one page for my report and another page that
>> holds
>> my data that is updated on a regular basis so I automated it.
>>
>> The problem is my formula only recognizes numbers and the data contains
>> numbers and text.  I use sumif because there is not any repeated data.
>>
>> Here is my formula:
>>
>> =SUMIF('Morning Star '!$A$1:$A$25,$N$3,'Morning Star '!B$1:B$26)

0
sandymann2 (1054)
8/31/2005 9:09:29 PM
> =B1+(--INDEX('Morning Star'!$B$1:$B$25,MATCH(A1,'Morning
> Star'!$A$1:$A$25,0)))
> and copy it down B1:B25

No! I wouldn't do that because it will update every time that the workbook
recalculates.

I'm not really sure that I understand exactly what it isn you want to do.
Can you explain a bit more please?
Do you want to download the updates and have the value of the funds
automatically change?

--
Regards

"Sandy Mann" <sandymann2@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> performance for the past month.
>>
>> On sheet two I download the information to update the performance on a
>> regular basis.
>>
>> The sumif formula looks up my fund on sheet one then looks it up on sheet
>> two to load the performance on sheet one.
>>
>> Let me know if I explained this well enough or not and thank you for your
>> help.
>>
>> "sweetsue516" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a spreadsheet with one page for my report and another page that
>>> holds
>>> my data that is updated on a regular basis so I automated it.
>>>
>>> The problem is my formula only recognizes numbers and the data contains
>>> numbers and text.  I use sumif because there is not any repeated data.
>>>
>>> Here is my formula:
>>>
>>> =SUMIF('Morning Star '!$A$1:$A$25,$N$3,'Morning Star '!B$1:B$26)

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

IMF v2
Hello, all looks like running fine. Messages will be blocked and stored to the archive folder. But messages which should be moved to the Junk-e-Mail folder are always in the Inbox. Do you have any idea why? Thank you for help Tom Make sure the Junk Email folder is enabled for each mailbox. Check these links: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/015/outlookjunk.htm http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/008/centraljunk.htm cheers, Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Thomas Kie...

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Text to Columns #4
I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field. Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the last 5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines. This Column looks like this: AESGROUPGR123 AESGROUPGR457 AESGROUPGR236 SECTIOGR046 MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123 MSGTYHSYYHGR123 My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns, but I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas? Thanks. Thanks a bunch Pete I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf Pete_UK wrote: > Try this: > > =...

Weekday formula

Why my contents written to a file which is opened in binary is still a text
Hello, I am facing a problem in writing my contents into a file in binary mode. There is no exception or no error. Can any one help me why the following code not able to write contents in binary format to a file ? if (fp.Open("test.dat",CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeReadWrite | CFile::typeBinary | CFile::shareDenyNone)==NULL) return FALSE; else { char buff[20]; strcpy(buff,"hello world"); fp.Write(buff,strlen(buff)); } fp.Close(); I used both CFile and CStdioFile but even them i did not get success. When i open the file i still see my contents in ...

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

Plain Text Emails From Outlook Web Access
Does anyone know how to send plain text emails from Outlook web access? The only options I can find are to send them using different fonts. Any ideas, please email at orlando@cybrzn.com Thanks! Well, considering OWA is HTML... you could configure it on the server - compose in HTML, convert to plain text when it's sent but it would apply to all messages. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google...

TransferText
Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? Please advise. Thank you. "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e0wzJZZ1KHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and > APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? TransferText will always overwrite the target file. If you still want to use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of seve...

"fixed objects will move" warning
Dear experts, I am trying to post this again as I haven't solved my issue yet. I have a long spreadsheet (3000 rows) with columns where many cells contain comments. This causes the spreadsheet to give this warning message "fixed objects will move" whenever I try to autofilter.... and I need to hit escape hundred times to get rid of this message. Can you imagine how bad this can be when the users are going to have to use this and autofilter items in the spredasheet! Can you please help me? Any hint is precious. I have already tried the hint from the previous post t...

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

Genrating text and auto number
How to generate auto number but i want it to be combination with text Example L0001, THEN L0002 and so on..how? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Emily, What does the 'L' stand for ? Will this field contain other series of numbers that start with some other letter but which must also start sequencing at 00001? By storing more than one piece of information in a single database field, you are violating the first normal form of database design. I would recommend you store the letter designator in a separate field. Assuming that you have other letters, that mu...

Read text file problem (CStdio::ReadString())
I have created a function that reads a text file containing a list of servers. The code for this function is below but for some reason it doesn't retrieve any data from servers.pdd. My code below shows that ReadString() is returning 0. Any ideas? void CServersDlg::GetServerList() { TRY { CStdioFile f; CString s; CString output; if(f.Open("servers.pdd", CFile::modeRead | CFile::shareExclusive | CFile::typeText)) { BOOL retval; while(retval = f.ReadString(s)) // retval = 0, so does no iterations { output += s; //never occurs ...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Check Names Will Not Let Me Send Email
Hello, I am trying to send an email. I have entered an email address in the to section that I do not want to save to my contacts file. Outlook will not let me send unless I do. This was not happening before last week when my computer crashed and was fixed. How do I get Outlook to let me send my email without saving the contact? My contacts files will become huge if I have to save the email address of every single person I write to. Please help. And thanks in advance. Candy "Candy" <Candy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1841587...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...