Formula showing in cell as text

This is a new one on me. After entering a formula, instead of seeing
blank cell or the result of the formula in the cell, I'm seeing th
text of the formula as I normally would see it displayed in the formul
bar. I can't seem to get it to calculate or stop showing the formula a
text in the cell.
One additional odd thing, going to TOOLS>FORMULA AUDITING>EVALUAT
FORMULA, everything looks normal, with two exceptions; one a statemen
"The cell currently being evaluated contains a constant", is displaye
in the dialog box and all but the CLOSE button are grayed out.

What I have Tried:
Deleting the entire column and reinserting a new column in it's place

Making sure all NAMED ranges are still pointing to the right stuff.

My conclusion is that I have inadvertantly entered a constant tha
somehow is messing things up, but I have no idea how to get rid of th
constant.

Stats:
Excel 2002
Windows XP Pro

TI

Try checking the numberformat (format|cells|number tab) of the cell.

If it's set for Text, change it to General and reenter your formula.

Do you have a space character before the equal sign?

"Casey <" wrote:

> This is a new one on me. After entering a formula, instead of seeing a
> blank cell or the result of the formula in the cell, I'm seeing the
> text of the formula as I normally would see it displayed in the formula
> bar. I can't seem to get it to calculate or stop showing the formula as
> text in the cell.
> One additional odd thing, going to TOOLS>FORMULA AUDITING>EVALUATE
> FORMULA, everything looks normal, with two exceptions; one a statement
> "The cell currently being evaluated contains a constant", is displayed
> in the dialog box and all but the CLOSE button are grayed out.
>
> What I have Tried:
> Deleting the entire column and reinserting a new column in it's place.
>
> Making sure all NAMED ranges are still pointing to the right stuff.
>
> My conclusion is that I have inadvertantly entered a constant that
> somehow is messing things up, but I have no idea how to get rid of the
> constant.
>
> Stats:
> Excel 2002
> Windows XP Pro
>
> TIA
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
8/23/2004 11:49:14 PM
Dave,
How embarrassing, I can't believe I made such a elementary mistake. M
only defense is that it was at the end of a long day and my overworke
and already under-powered brain experienced a period of flatulence.

Many thanks
Case

Join the club!

Just be glad that no one was looking over your shoulder!

"Casey <" wrote:

> Dave,
> How embarrassing, I can't believe I made such a elementary mistake. My
> only defense is that it was at the end of a long day and my overworked
> and already under-powered brain experienced a period of flatulence.
>
> Many thanks
> Casey
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

help with formula please #2

Removing a date by inputting a newer one in another cell
I have office excel 2007. I am a fairly new user, I have a worksheet which maintains and monitors the movement of various units, and is controlled by quantity and dates. What I would like to do is write a formula that will remove the ordered date when I input the new start date, which would be the newer date. So far I have not been able to make this work. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Many Thanks Mike You could use a worksheet_change event that clearscontents of the original cell. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com ...

how to show addresses, not names in to field
i have outlook 2000, Windows XP-Pro. i just want to have the e-mail addresses from my Contacts show in the "TO" field as e-mail addresses, NOT their names. this is help/about/line 2 "Internet Mail Only - Security Update" PLEASE help THANKS! Read the responses to all your other posts. The answer is still no. IMO provides no access to the Display Name field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "outlook victim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bbe01c425b5$5fde29c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > i have outlook 2000, Windows XP-Pro. > i...

help with a formula #5

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Trying to make part of an output in another cell italicized.
Hello all, I have Excel from Office XP and am using it on Windows XP Home Edition I'm working on a program where users enter text in various cells. Fo example: A B 1 Name: ------ 2 Date: ------ Then the text that they enter is displayed in another cell all togethe using the following formula: =$B$4&", "&$B$5&". "&"("&$B$6&"). "&$B$7&". "&$B$8&" "&$B$9&"("&$B$10&"), "&$B$11&"-"&$B$12&"." I'...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Count formula within a named range.

Plain Text Emails From Outlook Web Access
Does anyone know how to send plain text emails from Outlook web access? The only options I can find are to send them using different fonts. Any ideas, please email at orlando@cybrzn.com Thanks! Well, considering OWA is HTML... you could configure it on the server - compose in HTML, convert to plain text when it's sent but it would apply to all messages. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google...

"Show an envelope icon in the notification area" check mark stay?
Hello How to make "Show an envelope icon in the notification area" check mark stay in "Advanced E-mail Options" on "Preferences" tab? The check mark disappears after my Outlook 2003 sp2 restart. ...

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

Genrating text and auto number
How to generate auto number but i want it to be combination with text Example L0001, THEN L0002 and so on..how? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Emily, What does the 'L' stand for ? Will this field contain other series of numbers that start with some other letter but which must also start sequencing at 00001? By storing more than one piece of information in a single database field, you are violating the first normal form of database design. I would recommend you store the letter designator in a separate field. Assuming that you have other letters, that mu...

Read text file problem (CStdio::ReadString())
I have created a function that reads a text file containing a list of servers. The code for this function is below but for some reason it doesn't retrieve any data from servers.pdd. My code below shows that ReadString() is returning 0. Any ideas? void CServersDlg::GetServerList() { TRY { CStdioFile f; CString s; CString output; if(f.Open("servers.pdd", CFile::modeRead | CFile::shareExclusive | CFile::typeText)) { BOOL retval; while(retval = f.ReadString(s)) // retval = 0, so does no iterations { output += s; //never occurs ...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...