formula result not able to be summed

i have multiple formulas, i want to sum the results of formulas in columns l
to q, then divide them by the total, i.e. L4:L10 divided by L4:Q10. but the
results in those columns are from another column if the result of that other
column falls within a certain category. so if D4 is either a, b, or c then L4
= F which is a number, but the value in L4 isnt formatted as a number
therefore i cannot sum the values in column L. is there a way around this?

Hi

If there is a formula in L4, you'll need to turn the result into a number.
Try something like:
=VALUE(yourformula)
in there.
Hope this helps.

--
Andy.

"Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have multiple formulas, i want to sum the results of formulas in columns
> to q, then divide them by the total, i.e. L4:L10 divided by L4:Q10. but
> the
> results in those columns are from another column if the result of that
> other
> column falls within a certain category. so if D4 is either a, b, or c then
> L4
> = F which is a number, but the value in L4 isnt formatted as a number
> therefore i cannot sum the values in column L. is there a way around this?

0
Andy
5/23/2005 7:40:15 AM
i tried that but it they said a value error
e.g.
=IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4)
become
=VALUE(=IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4))
?????
thanks

"Andy B" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If there is a formula in L4, you'll need to turn the result into a number.
> Try something like:
> =VALUE(yourformula)
> in there.
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Andy.
>

> "Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have multiple formulas, i want to sum the results of formulas in columns
> > to q, then divide them by the total, i.e. L4:L10 divided by L4:Q10. but
> > the
> > results in those columns are from another column if the result of that
> > other
> > column falls within a certain category. so if D4 is either a, b, or c then
> > L4
> > = F which is a number, but the value in L4 isnt formatted as a number
> > therefore i cannot sum the values in column L. is there a way around this?

Sorry, I wasn't precise enough!! I meant to drop your = sign and wrap it in
the VALUE!

>i tried that but it they said a value error
> e.g.
> =IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4)
> becomes
> =VALUE(=IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4))
> ?????
> thanks
>
> "Andy B" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If there is a formula in L4, you'll need to turn the result into a
>> number.
>> Try something like:
>> =VALUE(yourformula)
>> in there.
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Andy.
>>

>> "Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >i have multiple formulas, i want to sum the results of formulas in
>> >columns
>> > to q, then divide them by the total, i.e. L4:L10 divided by L4:Q10. but
>> > the
>> > results in those columns are from another column if the result of that
>> > other
>> > column falls within a certain category. so if D4 is either a, b, or c
>> > then
>> > L4
>> > = F which is a number, but the value in L4 isnt formatted as a number
>> > therefore i cannot sum the values in column L. is there a way around
>> > this?

0
Andy
5/25/2005 9:25:53 AM
Hi

I've had another look at your formula and what I've sent you is rubbish! Can
you send me your sheet to have a look at? It'll make it easier to understand
where you're aiming!
My address is:
andyb at dawsons dot co dot uk

--
Andy.

<Andy B> wrote in message news:OqcfzuQYFHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, I wasn't precise enough!! I meant to drop your = sign and wrap it
> in the VALUE!
> =VALUE(IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4))
>
> --
> Andy.
>

> "Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1D7752B9-A183-4E22-8844-76DC3A9A053E@microsoft.com...
>>i tried that but it they said a value error
>> e.g.
>> =IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4)
>> becomes
>> =VALUE(=IF(OR(LEN(A4)<=3,SUM(COUNTIF(A4,{"*cmt*","*divs*","*fund*"}))>0),"",I4&J4))
>> ?????
>> thanks
>>
>> "Andy B" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> If there is a formula in L4, you'll need to turn the result into a
>>> number.
>>> Try something like:
>>> =VALUE(yourformula)
>>> in there.
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andy.
>>>

>>> "Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

0
Andy

KB Articles should be able to be tied to an organization 07-05-07
The articles created by the KB only allow a title, subject, and keywords. I should be able to attatch an organization to this set and therefore make it searchable by the organization to which my article is related. Is this a possibility? CRIS, This is a good idea, I suggest posting it as a suggestion. "CRIS" wrote: > The articles created by the KB only allow a title, subject, and keywords. I > should be able to attatch an organization to this set and therefore make it > searchable by the organization to which my article is related. Is this a > possibility? ...

help with formula please #2

Storing a Rand result
Hi I am trying to simulate a dice roll with: =RAND()*(6-1) which works fine. I.E. in Cell A1: =RAND()*(6-1) The problem I have that I want to store the first result in the next cell I.E. in cell A2 result of A1 but every time I click on the button to roll the dice A1 changes which is ok - but A2 does not keep the result of the first roll. This is my problem. Is there any way round this? I hope you get my drift. Thanking you all in anticipation. Paul First, I would think your formula would look more like: =INT(RAND()*(6-1+1)+1) VBA's help for the RND function shows this to ...

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

error message with sum
(New user) In my spreadsheet, I have four columns, each with a 0 or a 1 in each cell. The last cell in each column is "total" with formula =SUM(A3:A68), with appropriate column letters for each particula one. The columns get totalled correctly, but each of the "total" cells has a green triangle. The error message is: "the formula in this cell refers to a range that has additional numbers adjacent to it." I'm not sure what this means. I can't seem to get anything from the help screens. If by "adjacent" Excel means the columns next to each other,...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

Including a formula in a path name.

select statement results msgbox
I would like to do a select count statement and display the results in a msgbox. Is that possible? ex SQL = " Select count(StoreNum) " & _ "FROM GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC INNER JOIN TRANSFER_MEMBER " & _ "ON GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum = TRANSFER_MEMBER.CMCUNO " & _ "WHERE (((GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum)<>'0266' " & _ "And (GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum)<>'0673' " & _ "And (GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum)<>'0306' " & _ ...

FORMULA #14

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

Can't get text string to recognize query result
Private Sub cmdConfirm_Click() Dim strMsg As String If Me.cboApproval = "Approved" Then strMsg = "Your meeting request has been approved." & (Chr(13)) strMsg = strMsg & "Meeting Date: " & Format([txtFTDate], "mm/dd/yyyy") & (Chr(13)) strMsg = strMsg & "Meeting Start: " & Format([txtFTStart], "h:mm AMPM") & (Chr(13)) strMsg = strMsg & "Meeting End: " & Format([txtFTEnd], "h:mm AMPM") & (Chr(13)) strMsg = strMsg & "Meeting Location: " & [txtFTBldg] &a...

Grouping results from a mail merge
I'm working on something that is similar to a company directory where people with their contact information are grouped by department. I'm having a problem getting it to group properly. In Access, I would use the grouping feature offered on reports, but I don't know what to use in Publisher. I'm using Publisher 2003. Thank you for any assistance in this matter. ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...