Formula for calculating # of days between dates minus a particular date if present

I'm trying to create a formula that will calculate the number of days
between two dates automatically subtracting a day(s) from the equation
if a specified date(s) falls in between the two dates.

For example, I don't want 1/15/04 to register as a counted day.  If I
enter the dates 1/1/04 in one cell and 1/12/04 in another cell then
it's a straight foward DATEDIF equation. But if I enter 1/1/04 and
1/28/04, then I want the formula to figure out the number of days
between 1/1 and 1/28 automatically subtracting 1/15 from the equation.
This gets trickier as I need some calucations that will be subtracting
multiple, non-contiguous days. (i.e. calculate the number of days
between 1/1/04 and 1/31/04 but not counting 1/5/04, 1/15/04, or
1/18/04).

I'm sure there's a way to do this using excel's date format, but I sure
can't figure it out.  Can anyone help me on this.

Thanks!

---

My suggestion would be to simply subtract the dates and
subtract the count of dates to exclude:

=Date1-Date2-COUNT(C1:C5)

where the C1:C5 contains 1 to 5 dates needed to exclude
from your calculation.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jason.morin (561)
1/21/2004 11:45:16 PM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:07:20 -0600, Jarod
<<Jarod.10emm6@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

>I'm trying to create a formula that will calculate the number of days
>between two dates automatically subtracting a day(s) from the equation
>if a specified date(s) falls in between the two dates.
>
>For example, I don't want 1/15/04 to register as a counted day.  If I
>enter the dates 1/1/04 in one cell and 1/12/04 in another cell then
>it's a straight foward DATEDIF equation. But if I enter 1/1/04 and
>1/28/04, then I want the formula to figure out the number of days
>between 1/1 and 1/28 automatically subtracting 1/15 from the equation.
>This gets trickier as I need some calucations that will be subtracting
>multiple, non-contiguous days. (i.e. calculate the number of days
>between 1/1/04 and 1/31/04 but not counting 1/5/04, 1/15/04, or
>1/18/04).
>
>I'm sure there's a way to do this using excel's date format, but I sure
>can't figure it out.  Can anyone help me on this.
>
>Thanks!
>

>---

The array formula:

 =EndDate-StartDate-SUM((ExcludeDates>=StartDate)*(ExcludeDates<=EndDate))

Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

Put the "ExcludeDates" in a named range someplace.

--ron

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Removing a date by inputting a newer one in another cell
I have office excel 2007. I am a fairly new user, I have a worksheet which maintains and monitors the movement of various units, and is controlled by quantity and dates. What I would like to do is write a formula that will remove the ordered date when I input the new start date, which would be the newer date. So far I have not been able to make this work. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Many Thanks Mike You could use a worksheet_change event that clearscontents of the original cell. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com ...

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

calculate per day usage with a number range
I have the check in date and the check out date for a large group. I would like to see how many rooms are used per day for the period. Column A = Check in date (ex: 2-feb) Column B = Check out date (ex: 10-feb) How can I tell how many rooms were used on 6-feb, how many on 7-feb, etc? Thanks so much for your help! Put the date of interest (e.g. 6-feb-2008) in D2 then in E2 use this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A$100<=D2)*(B$2:B$100>=D2)) You can copy the formula down to calculate for more date in column D "peabody" wrote: > I have the check in date and the check out dat...

How to calculate how many cells have a value of less than 3?
What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be anywhere from 1-10) and want to be able to easily get the total number of entries that are either 1,2, or 3. Thanks... =countif(a1:b99,"<=3") is one way. FISH wrote: > > What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a > range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? > > I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be any...

Count formula within a named range.

Capturing Date
I have tried writing a macro that would let me capture the date from my computer and place it in cell D2. The captured day will be moved intact at the end of the day Is there a command that will let me do that? Thanks for the help in advance. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200609/1 Hi, Why do you need a macro for this if Excel has a formula like this? In Cell D2, put: =TODAY() "Larry Fish via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I have tried writing a macro that would let me capture the date from my > computer and place it in...

Formula to return a formula

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Dates on tracked payments
I just upgraded to 2003 from 2000. I transfered all my setting over and have been having trouble entering common transactions like my upcoming bills and paychecks. When I select a common transaction from my checking account Bills list Money lists the upcoming date correctly. When I click on this transaction to enter it the date is from a month ago. Is there a cache file or something that I need to deltete to make Money update these transaction dates? ...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Simple calculated field problem
Hi, I am very new to Access and am trying to do something I think should be reasonably simple, but can't work out the syntax I need. My database is to track weight loss. I have only one table at the moment (this will grow but my problem only involves a single table), which is called 'Measurements'. The table has only 3 fields, 'Date', 'Weight' and 'Fat%'. I would like to be able to track weight loss from one day to the next, so am trying to make a query that shows, for each day, the values in the Weight and Fat% fields, and a calculated field tha...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...