Formula displays does not calculate

Hello:

I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula 
calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value. Both 
A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full 
formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.

I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility in 
Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a constant?

Your help is appreciated
0
Bhandar (1)
1/10/2005 2:27:02 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

4 Replies
594 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Hi Neil,

Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?

---
Regards,
Norman



"Neil Bhandar" <Neil Bhandar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:DC4B6174-2475-4C2A-9039-89F89AE4F19A@microsoft.com...
> Hello:
>
> I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula
> calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value. 
> Both
> A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full
> formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.
>
> I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility 
> in
> Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a 
> constant?
>
> Your help is appreciated 


0
normanjones (1047)
1/10/2005 2:32:22 PM
Norman,

Thanks for the suggestion, I already chked that. Unformulately the cells are 
all numeric. Any other ideas?

Rgds,
-Neil

"Norman Jones" wrote:

> Hi Neil,
> 
> Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?
> 
> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
> 
> 
> 
> "Neil Bhandar" <Neil Bhandar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:DC4B6174-2475-4C2A-9039-89F89AE4F19A@microsoft.com...
> > Hello:
> >
> > I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula
> > calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value. 
> > Both
> > A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full
> > formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.
> >
> > I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility 
> > in
> > Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a 
> > constant?
> >
> > Your help is appreciated 
> 
> 
> 
0
1/10/2005 2:43:05 PM
No, Norman is asking if the formula cell is formatted as 
text. Delete the contents of the formula cell, format it 
as General, and then re-enter the formula.

Jason

>-----Original Message-----
>Norman,
>
>Thanks for the suggestion, I already chked that. 
Unformulately the cells are 
>all numeric. Any other ideas?
>
>Rgds,
>-Neil
>
>"Norman Jones" wrote:
>
>> Hi Neil,
>> 
>> Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?
>> 
>> ---
>> Regards,
>> Norman
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> "Neil Bhandar" <Neil 
Bhandar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:DC4B6174-2475-4C2A-9039-
89F89AE4F19A@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays 
=A4+J13 (the same formula
>> > calculates fine in a different cell), instead of 
claculating the value. 
>> > Both
>> > A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to 
toggle and chk if full
>> > formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.
>> >
>> > I also tried looking for feedback through the 
formula evaluation utility 
>> > in
>> > Excel, no help there either, it says cell being 
evaluated contains a 
>> > constant?
>> >
>> > Your help is appreciated 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>.
>
0
jasonjmorin (551)
1/10/2005 2:50:17 PM
Or just format the cell as general, then hit F2, then enter.



Jason Morin wrote:
> 
> No, Norman is asking if the formula cell is formatted as
> text. Delete the contents of the formula cell, format it
> as General, and then re-enter the formula.
> 
> Jason
> 
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Norman,
> >
> >Thanks for the suggestion, I already chked that.
> Unformulately the cells are
> >all numeric. Any other ideas?
> >
> >Rgds,
> >-Neil
> >
> >"Norman Jones" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Neil,
> >>
> >> Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Regards,
> >> Norman
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "Neil Bhandar" <Neil
> Bhandar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:DC4B6174-2475-4C2A-9039-
> 89F89AE4F19A@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hello:
> >> >
> >> > I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays
> =A4+J13 (the same formula
> >> > calculates fine in a different cell), instead of
> claculating the value.
> >> > Both
> >> > A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to
> toggle and chk if full
> >> > formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.
> >> >
> >> > I also tried looking for feedback through the
> formula evaluation utility
> >> > in
> >> > Excel, no help there either, it says cell being
> evaluated contains a
> >> > constant?
> >> >
> >> > Your help is appreciated
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >.
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
1/10/2005 10:55:45 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

help with formula please #2
Can anyone please help with this formula. If Sheet1 Column A = nothing(blank) And Column B = \\\\\\CC\\\\\\ Then Sheet 2 B7 = SumTotal. As a regular formula would be nice or VB code Hi Richard you want nothing at all in the whole of column A in sheet 1? do you want every cell in column B of sheet 1 to have \\\\\\CC\\\\\\ or should this (can this) only appear in one cell? and what range are you summing on sheet 2 in cell B7? Cheers JulieD "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82ce01c477e1$77f0e740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone please ...

Appending or Up-dating a formula
I am using an =Ave function in a formula to average quite a few cell values together. I add new information all the time; sometimes 5 or 6 new cells at a time. How can I append or up-date my formula to include these new cells with out have to type the new cells into the formula? When I make the cell that has the formula in it active/edit, all of the cells that are referenced in the formula have a highlight around them. Is there a key or key combination I can press while clicking on the cells I want to add to the formula? Thanks, john Hi see your post in Excel.misc -- Regards Frank ...

Changing a range of an array in a SUMPRODUCT formula gives a #N/A error
I have a working SUMPRODUCT formula {=SUMPRODUCT(($C$4:$C$4341=z8)*(audittypefm1="Standard"))} that I need to change the 1st array to C5623. When I do I get a #N/A error. I've tried giving the range a name (empnofm2), and I've verified all the data in the C4:C5623 range is formated the same (general, it is all employee numbers from 2 to 5 digits long. I'm using a "trim all" macro which is working great. I am unable to determine what is causing the #N/A and how to fix it. Basically I copied an entire worksheet within the same workbook and changed the name, wh...

help with a formula #5
I have 98 sets of magazines each set has 12 in the set what formula can I use to get a total of issues in all sets have you tried 98*12 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message news:eZ66ZEGHGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have 98 sets of magazines each set has 12 in the set > > what formula can I use to get a total of issues in all sets > =98*12 or =A1*A2 if the numbers are in A1 and A2 -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Just Me" <n...

Formula #29
Hi, What formula should I use if I want it to look at a specific cell and then work out the total number between two numbers. e.g. if cell H6 had 7-4 entered the number 9 would be returned. Thanks in advance I'm not sure how you got 9, but your life would be much easier if you used two separate cells and then subtracted the smaller from the larger (and then added one???). Boenerge wrote: > > Hi, > What formula should I use if I want it to look at a specific cell and then > work out the total number between two numbers. > e.g. if cell H6 had 7-4 entered the number 9 woul...

Money 2006 display
When using Money 98 the report Categories would display on the monitor in bold print and the Subcategories would display on the monitor in fine print. Good visually. When the report was printed out the Categories and Subcategories printed out the same.....great. Now with Money 2006 the Categories and Subcategories display the same as Money 98 on the monitor but when printed out they both print out in bold print and are not different as they might be. I've checked settings and can't find where I can make a change for the better. Any ideas, or is this the way things are ? I&...

Can offset be used in this formula?
Can the offset be used in the below formula for the information in column "K"? In column L have the the following formula's L46 =MAX($I46*1000-$K$46*$J46,0) L47 =MAX($I47*1000-$K$46*$J47,0) .... L99 =MAX($I99*1000-$K$46*$J99,0) What I'd like to do is to copy the fomula into columns M, N, O, ... M47 =MAX($I47*1000-$K$47*$J47,0) M48 =MAX($I48*1000-$K$47*$J48,0) M49 =MAX($I49*1000-$K$47*$J49,0) .... N48 =MAX($I48*1000-$K$48*$J48,0) N49 =MAX($I49*1000-$K$48*$J49,0) .... O50 =MAX($I50*1000-$K$50*$J50,0) O51 =MAX($I51*1000-$K$50*$J51,0) .... How abou...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.
I have a report that must be turned in the night before for tomorrow's date. Is ithere a date formula that will return tomorrow's date to a cell in Excel? One way: =TODAY() + 1 In article <668782AC-774A-475F-9821-8A4C3B14A983@microsoft.com>, "Shadyhosta" <Shadyhosta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a report that must be turned in the night before for tomorrow's date. > Is ithere a date formula that will return tomorrow's date to a cell in Excel? I assume that you want the date to remain static after entry. Easiest way, use 2...

calculate per day usage with a number range
I have the check in date and the check out date for a large group. I would like to see how many rooms are used per day for the period. Column A = Check in date (ex: 2-feb) Column B = Check out date (ex: 10-feb) How can I tell how many rooms were used on 6-feb, how many on 7-feb, etc? Thanks so much for your help! Put the date of interest (e.g. 6-feb-2008) in D2 then in E2 use this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A$100<=D2)*(B$2:B$100>=D2)) You can copy the formula down to calculate for more date in column D "peabody" wrote: > I have the check in date and the check out dat...

Weekday formula
Can anyone help with the weekday formula. What I want to do is enter the date in say A1 11/20/2003 and have B return the answer of Thursday. Currently I use the weekday formula bu only returns the number of the day. Thanks in advance B ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com There are several ways to do this. One is to enter =A1 and format the cell with a custom number format of dddd. Another way is to use the function =TEXT(A1,"dddd"). -- Cordiall...

Fwd::Not to display "OK" button
Hi, Long back i posted a message "Not to display "OK" button". I wanted the "OK" button not to be displayed at the right-top corner of the dialog. I got good replies too and What they guessed is right, i am working with the Pocket PC Application. Now as they said , i did this I added the below 2 lines in the OnInitDialog SHDoneButton(m_hWnd, SHDB_HIDE); ModifyStyle(0, WS_NONAVDONEBUTTON, SWP_NOSIZE); But SHDoneButton(); doesn't need 2 params so i did as SHDoneButton(SHDB_HIDE); & no change with ModifyStyle(); But the SHDoneButton(SHDB_HIDE); is retu...

Formula to return a formula
At least I think that's what I'm looking for. here's my situation: I've got a sheet where there is a variable (X) that changes depending on what row it is on. So I have a column (column c) that lists these variables (X is dependant on things from a different sheet). X is a muliplier that is utilized differently depending on the value of N. N is a Picklist selection and can change periodically. Or even be duplicated on more than one row. I have a vlookup that checks the value of N (column a) and needs to return a formula that has X applied if needed on the approp...

Count formula within a named range.
Hi, How do I change the following formula =SUMIF($F$39:$F$79,"PW Shopfitters",$D$39:$D$79)/COUNTIF($F$39:$F$79,"PW Shopfitters") to count within a named range (PW Shopfitters). Any help would be great. Cheers, Phil Hi A range name cannot have spaces, maybe that's your problem. Name your range PW_Shopfitters. Then replace your cell references with PW_Shopfitters, eg =Sumif(PW_Shopfitters,"PW Shopfitters",............ -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "PW11111" wrote: > > Hi, > &g...

Including a formula in a path name.
Dear MS, How about a new function for this one. I'm sure MANY users have the same problem as me. The research below seems quite comprehensive and has effectively come up against a brick wall. Thanks Peter Harlan Grove posted this UDF: http://www.google.com/groups?selm=hkQVb.2432%24_4.259%40www.newsranger.com Peter wrote: > > Very Helpful Papou - thank you! > Do you know of an additional / alternative method where you achieve the same tihing but are not required to have all the relevant work sheets open? > Many thanks > Peter > > "papou" wrote: > ...

Displaying Images in Message Preview
Is it possible to have attachements (eg. JPEG images) displayed at the end of a message. Outlook Express does this but Outlook 2002 doesn't seem too !!! Splishman No, Outlook only shows pictures in-line when they were inserted in-line by Insert-> Picture... When they were inserted as an attachment by Insert-> File... they will also be shown as attachment. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Splishman" <splishman@hotmail.com...

How to use a text formula as code formula
Hello. I have this formula loaded from a text field on a form: val([field10])+val([field20]) and I would like to use this as a code formula. I mean, if I use that in VBA code it works, but If I load from a text field it doesn't work. I need that my form use that formula stored in a text field to calculate values. Regards in advance, Marco responded to in another newsgroup. It's rarely necessary to post the same question to more than one group. If it is necessary, select all the relevant newsgroups in the "To:" or "Newsgroups:" field. That way, folks who...

trying to find how to display worksheet name in cell
I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. http://contextures.com/xlfaqFun.html#SheetName From Debra Dalgleish's site. Yvonne Barber wrote: > > I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. -- Dave Peterson ...

FORMULA #14
What formula in access can do =COUNTIF(CAF!D:D,A3) Basicly I have 2 tables I want the 2nd table to count how many times a number is listed in the 1st table. I am trying to do this with a query and the count expression but keep getting errors. Dont bother with this one guys just figured it out AMDGUY [MCP] wrote: > What formula in access can do > =COUNTIF(CAF!D:D,A3) > > Basicly I have 2 tables > > I want the 2nd table to count how many times a number is listed in the > 1st table. I am trying to do this with a query and the count expression > but keep getting e...

What does the $ symbol mean in a formula?
What does the $ symbol mean in a formula? example: =G8*($A$14*2)*100 thanx The $ is used for absolut referencing. For e.g lets take your formula =G8*($A$14*2)*100 suppose you enter this formula in cell B2, now simply copy this formula one cell to the right (C2) by and one cell down (B3). C2: =H8*($A$14*2)*100 B3: =G9*($A$14*2)*100 So you see that The original G8 has changed, whereas $A$1 remains the same in both the new formulae because of the dollar signs. Mangesh "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D86597A4-C0A1-46AF-9DA6-FE06AB9C1FA0@mi...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Simple calculated field problem
Hi, I am very new to Access and am trying to do something I think should be reasonably simple, but can't work out the syntax I need. My database is to track weight loss. I have only one table at the moment (this will grow but my problem only involves a single table), which is called 'Measurements'. The table has only 3 fields, 'Date', 'Weight' and 'Fat%'. I would like to be able to track weight loss from one day to the next, so am trying to make a query that shows, for each day, the values in the Weight and Fat% fields, and a calculated field tha...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

only display active HR benefits
There is no option to mark a master HR life, retirement or health benefit as inactive. In addition to being able to mark a master HR benefit record as inactive and roll-down changes thru HR and Payroll, it would be significantly helpul to clients with a lot of plan and therefore code changes each year if there was a setup option to 'only display active HR benefits' in the lookup windows when creating/editing employee records. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, clic...

How to display subfolder in doc library on separate page
I'm trying to edit a SharePoint page that lists about six document libraries, with subfolders underneath them. When a user clicks on a subfolder, I want them to be taken to a separate page listing the documents within the subfolder. For one of the document libraries, the subfolders work like that--for the others, when you click on a subfolder, the documents within the subfolder are displayed under the main folder, WITHOUT taking you to a separate page. I want to be taken to a separate page for the subfolder. Where do I control this? I've compared the doc library that is ...