Formatting problem

I am trying to 'improve' the formatting of a workbook containing many
sheets. My basic problem is this. The person who set up the sheets didn't
use text wrap. Once they got to the end of a line (when typing text) they
went onto a new row. They then tried to put borders round the cells but
missed out many cells. The result is a total mess - odd borders everywhere
and text spread over many cells.

I am trying to improve the design. I am trying to put a whole paragraph in
one cell but this is extremely time consuming. It involves cutting the text
from each row and pasting it to the end of the text in a single cell. Is
there a faster way to join up text like this? Or do I simply have to plough
my way through 40 sheets, cutting and pasting to join up text??!

Also, is there any way of using fields in Excel? Each worksheet has
something like 'Year 2003-2004' as a heading on each page. However, as I
plan to use this workbook as a template, I thought it might be useful if I
could just insert a field (as in Word). In this way I could use the field to
insert the text instead of typing it over and over again.

Hope this is clear.

0
colin6205 (28)

Colin,

Maybe not the best solution, but if the data is all in one column you can
copy that column into Word and then merge the cells that should be together.
Then just copy back into Excel and format with text wrap.

I did a quick test and the merge in Word didn't overwrite any of the cells
and it was unnecessary to eliminate the hard returns that Word inserted when
the cells were merged as Excel did not seem to recognize them.

HTH

PC

"C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am trying to 'improve' the formatting of a workbook containing many
> sheets. My basic problem is this. The person who set up the sheets didn't
> use text wrap. Once they got to the end of a line (when typing text) they
> went onto a new row. They then tried to put borders round the cells but
> missed out many cells. The result is a total mess - odd borders everywhere
> and text spread over many cells.
>
> I am trying to improve the design. I am trying to put a whole paragraph in
> one cell but this is extremely time consuming. It involves cutting the
text
> from each row and pasting it to the end of the text in a single cell. Is
> there a faster way to join up text like this? Or do I simply have to
plough
> my way through 40 sheets, cutting and pasting to join up text??!
>
> Also, is there any way of using fields in Excel? Each worksheet has
> something like 'Year 2003-2004' as a heading on each page. However, as I
> plan to use this workbook as a template, I thought it might be useful if I
> could just insert a field (as in Word). In this way I could use the field
> insert the text instead of typing it over and over again.
>
> Hope this is clear.

Thanks. It didn't seem to work in Excel 2000. When I pasted the merged cells
back into Excel they just went straight back into separate rows.
"Paul Corrado" <paulcorrado@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Colin,
>
> Maybe not the best solution, but if the data is all in one column you can
> copy that column into Word and then merge the cells that should be
together.
> Then just copy back into Excel and format with text wrap.
>
> I did a quick test and the merge in Word didn't overwrite any of the cells
> and it was unnecessary to eliminate the hard returns that Word inserted
when
> the cells were merged as Excel did not seem to recognize them.
>
> HTH
>
> PC
>

> "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I am trying to 'improve' the formatting of a workbook containing many
> > sheets. My basic problem is this. The person who set up the sheets
didn't
> > use text wrap. Once they got to the end of a line (when typing text)
they
> > went onto a new row. They then tried to put borders round the cells but
> > missed out many cells. The result is a total mess - odd borders
everywhere
> > and text spread over many cells.
> >
> > I am trying to improve the design. I am trying to put a whole paragraph
in
> > one cell but this is extremely time consuming. It involves cutting the
> text
> > from each row and pasting it to the end of the text in a single cell. Is
> > there a faster way to join up text like this? Or do I simply have to
> plough
> > my way through 40 sheets, cutting and pasting to join up text??!
> >
> > Also, is there any way of using fields in Excel? Each worksheet has
> > something like 'Year 2003-2004' as a heading on each page. However, as I
> > plan to use this workbook as a template, I thought it might be useful if
> > could just insert a field (as in Word). In this way I could use the
field
> > insert the text instead of typing it over and over again.
> >
> > Hope this is clear.

0
colin6205 (28)
7/15/2003 8:43:44 PM
You could write a macro.  The one below will take all the
selected cells and combine them into one.  Keep in mind
ther is no way to "Undo" this.  Make sure you bcak up your
work before you try this.

Lance

Sub comb()
Dim s As Range
Dim c As Integer
Dim r As Integer
Set s = Selection
For r = 2 To s.Columns.Count
 For c = 1 To s.Rows.Count
  s(1, 1).Value = s(1, 1).Value + " " + s(r, c).Value
 s(r, c).Clear
 Next c
 Next r

End Sub

0
Lance5102 (23)
7/15/2003 8:57:31 PM
If you paste into the formula bar (one cell at a time), it'll work ok--but it'll
be slower than heck.

I like Lance's idea of fixing it in code.  But instead of a sub, I'd use a
worksheet function and a helper column.

Then I could use a formula like:
	=comb(c3:c8)
and adjust for each set of cells.

You could use this function:

Option Explicit
Function Comb(rng As Range) As String

    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myStr As String

    myStr = ""
    For Each myCell In rng.Cells
        If Trim(myCell.Value) <> "" Then
            myStr = myStr & vbLf & myCell.Text
        End If
    Next myCell

    If Len(myStr) > 0 Then
        myStr = Mid(myStr, 2)
    End If

    Comb = myStr

End Function

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like a Lance's idea.  But instead
of selecting the range and running the macro, the macro should determine the
range to fix itself.  Can you use either cell adjacent to that bunch of cells to
get the group of cells that should be concatenated?

=========
Have you looked at File|Page Setup|Sheet|rows to repeat at top
for the second question?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

negative number format

outlook problem (information store could not be opened)
I cannot start my outlook program. It says that the information store could not be opened. Is there a way to fix this problem. I really need to go in and look at my recent e-mails also. Thanks. Sheldon What version? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Sheldon asked: | I cannot start my outlook program. It says that the | information store could n...

Change date format to European format

Printing Problem in SQL Reporting Service
Hi, Seen a couple of posts about this but no conclusion. Trying to print a SQL Report from CRM and getting an error 0x80004005. These reports can be seen on screen and exported but cannot be directly printed to any printer. Checked all IE settings and put them as low as possible. The only other thing that might be contributing is Sophos AV. Any answers anyone ? Regards Peter. ...

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Problem deploying a cube with a caculated member
I posted this question in the OLAP group a few days ago and have gotten no response, so I thought I'd try here. I apologize for the repeated post and if this is not the appropriate group for this question. I'm using SQL Server 2005. I used BIDS to create a cube with several measures (one measure group), and I'm trying to add a calculated member using 2 of the measures. Without the calculated member, the cube deploys successfully. I can create the calculated member and the cube builds with no errors, but when I try to deploy the cube I get the MdxScript error messag...

Posting setup
Our client has noticed some flaws in the Posting Setup window. When you choose the series (eg. Purchasing) and Origin All, it always defaults to certain fields. For example, the Posting Date From is always defaulted to Batch. If you have selected Transactions for all the purchasing windows, and then you exit this window by clicking on OK, it actually overwrites all the windows so that they are all using Posting Date From Batch instead of Transaction. This raises concerns with our client and they believe that it needs to be improved. This has caused problems several times and they ha...

How to format the value in a cell?

Problems with HTML-import
When I import data from an HTML-file the values is not=20 numeric but text. It is shown with a little green sign=20 upper left i a cell. Has anyone a suggestion why this is happening cause I=20 di=B4n=B4t have the problem in Office 97? Are you concerned with the little green sign? If yes, it's excel 2002's way of showing you that something appears wrong. If you select the cell, you'll see a little "caution" icon near your cell. Click on it and you'll see what excel is warning you about. xl will even give you a chance to convert the text number to number number. ...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Excel Problem with Width=1.00
Draw a shape, for example rectangle and make its width=1cm. Then open its properties again and look its width. It's 1.01 cm now Is there any way to make the widths of shapes or images EXACTLY 1 cm. ...

public folder permissions problem
I have a public folder on Exchange 2003 that a user is having problem reading the contents. He is using Outlook 2003. I have given the group, let's call it "Ops" Reviewer permissions. He is part of the "Ops" group. He can see the folder exists under the All Public Folders branch and can see the listing of messages. However, when he tries to open any of the messages, he is getting an error saying insufficient permissions. I then asked him to try a different computer and that made no difference. After that, I tried to explicitly give him Reviewer permissions,...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Linking problem AtlAxGetControl
Hi I am getting the following error: error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _AtlAxGetControl@8 I assume that there is a library of some type that i need to somehow link (im v new to VC) but im am not sure how to go about adding the library or which library i am misisng Thanks a lot for your help. Todd. ...