Formatting Lost in Excel 2007

Good afternoon,

I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is
that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully
someone out there will have an answer.

We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005
that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started
using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening
the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved
it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and
reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no formatting
again!

As mentioned, the file had a ton of broken links that were removed as
we thought that was the issue but that didn't help.

I've found that if I save it as a xlsx file, it will keep the
formatting (so far) but we have people with the 2003 version of excel
that need to use the file as well.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Krysten
0
zeetoe04

Maybe...

Similar problem...
http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=774151

and the solution was...
http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
(free - Formats and Styles Excel add-in -  no registration)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

"zeetoe04" <kmzito@gmail.com>
wrote in message news:148afcd8-49c3-4d52-a0bd-fd29838f781f@k33g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Jim
4/28/2010 4:26:43 PM
The application does not work. It will remove everything but when I go
to save the file, it tells me that Microsoft Office has an error and
needs to close Excel.

On Apr 28, 12:26=A0pm, "Jim Cone" <james.cone...@comcast.netXXX> wrote:
> Maybe...
>
> Similar problem...http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=3D=
774151

> and the solution was...http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
> (free - Formats and Styles Excel add-in - =A0no registration)
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon =A0USA
>
> "zeetoe04" <kmz...@gmail.com>
> wrote in messagenews:148afcd8-49c3-4d52-a0bd-fd29838f781f@k33g2000yqc.goo=
glegroups.com...
> Good afternoon,
>
> I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is
> that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully
> someone out there will have an answer.
>
> We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005
> that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started
> using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening
> the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved
> it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and
> reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no formatting
> again!
>
> As mentioned, the file had a ton of broken links that were removed as
> we thought that was the issue but that didn't help.
>
> I've found that if I save it as a xlsx file, it will keep the
> formatting (so far) but we have people with the 2003 version of excel
> that need to use the file as well.
>
> Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Krysten

0
zeetoe04
4/28/2010 6:01:07 PM
Your file may have corruption problems that extend beyond cell formats.
You may want to roundtrip the file thru HTML and back and see if that helps?...
SaveAs htm/html close then reopen and SaveAs .xlsx

If you do get the file squared away, you might consider keeping the file as an .xls file type.

If your file does not contain confidential info or the confidential info can be overwritten or removed,
then I would like to get a copy of the file to review.  Is that possible?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

On Apr 28, 12:26 pm, "Jim Cone" <james.cone...@comcast.netXXX> wrote:
> Maybe...
>
> Similar problem...http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=774151
>
> and the solution was...http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
> (free - Formats and Styles Excel add-in - no registration)
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon USA
>
> "zeetoe04" <kmz...@gmail.com>
> wrote in messagenews:148afcd8-49c3-4d52-a0bd-fd29838f781f@k33g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> Good afternoon,
>
> I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is
> that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully
> someone out there will have an answer.
>
> We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005
> that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started
> using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening
> the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved
> it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and
> reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no formatting
> again!
>
> As mentioned, the file had a ton of broken links that were removed as
> we thought that was the issue but that didn't help.
>
> I've found that if I save it as a xlsx file, it will keep the
> formatting (so far) but we have people with the 2003 version of excel
> that need to use the file as well.
>
> Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Krysten

0
Jim
4/28/2010 6:28:56 PM
Unfortunately I cannot forward it to you. If I disable the add-on, it
would save. We'll see tomorrow if it holds the formatting.
0
zeetoe04
4/29/2010 2:08:32 AM
On Apr 28, 10:08=A0pm, zeetoe04 <kmz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I cannot forward it to you. If I disable the add-on, it
> would save. We'll see tomorrow if it holds theformatting.

So far so good. Thanks for the help.
0
zeetoe04
5/2/2010 2:40:44 AM
Follow the given instructions:
1. Click on the Format button in the Style dialog box to open the Format
Cells dialog box.
2. Click on the appropriate tab in the dialog box.
3. Make the desired changes.
4. Press OK to close the Format Cells dialog box.
5. Press OK to close the Style dialog box.
6. The new style is added to the top of the Cell Styles gallery

kristain

HTML Form to Excel Spreadsheet
I am trying to streamline a process at my office. I need to have specific inputs from a web form placed into specific cells of an Excel spreadsheet upon "submit." Any suggestions? ...

Hyperlink from Internet Explorer to Excel
I am using a HTML page with hyperlinks to Excel documents. This causes Excel to open within Internet Explorer, giving a different (non excel) interface to the user. I want the file to open within Excel, including all of the user's preferred toolbars, and without the web toolbar. Can this be done? ...

xl 2007 how to validate that cell 1 invalid if cell 2 not blank
microsoft office 2007 xl - how do you validate a cell such that you cannot enter a value in cell 1 if a value has been entered in cell 2? ...

2007 Premium Registration
Dear NG: Purchased Money 2007 Premium CD from Costco. Help > About Microsoft Money > Version 16.0.125.621 Coverted .mny file from Money 2006 Deluxe The back of the CD case states: "To register Microsoft Money 2007 Premium:" "On the Help menu, click Register and follow the instructions on your screen." I have no "Register" option under the Help menu. Under Tools > Settings > Online service settings, I've checked the option to "Remind me to register when Miney starts so I can receive..." However after restarting Money there is no prom...

Excel printing problem
When I try to print 1 copy of my Excel spreadsheet, 2500 copies prin instead. This does not happen in Word. The File Print function let me select 1 copy, but when I hit OK to print, it begins a countdown, e now printing 1 of 2500. I have restarted my computer and my printer. I have not run diagnostics on the printer bc this problem only occur when printing an Excel file. Please help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Does this happen when you print this particular workbook only or is it for all excel files? What add-ins are checked under tools>add-ins? -- Regards, ...

Undoing LINKS in Excel 2000
I am Using Excel 2000 and I have a worksheet that is LINKED to data in a completely seperate workbook that was deleted weeks ago. I still get the annoying boxes that say "file not found." How do I UNDO the links that still exist to this files that was deleted? Hi use the following addin to find these links: goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm and search for Findlink.zip (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:929ED98...

Why does Excel hang up when trying to open files?
I have Office 2003 with Excel 2003 installed. When I try to open files from the peer-to-peer network, the program hangs up and will not go any further. At that point I have to shut it down. I can access the network with other programs including Word so I know it's not the network. Anybody have any ideas? ...

Lost addresses when converted from office to outlook
My computer came with a free 90 day preview of office. I put all my email addresses into it. When the office subscript ended, I was automatically converted to Outlook Express 6.0. However, none of my email address came with it. How do I transfer my email addresses from my former Offfice to my new Outlook Express? You can't. You would have to export them to a format OE can use, such as CSV. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28f8a01c464f5$df4cbd50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My computer came with a free 9...

Access 2007.
Good Day, I'm working with an Access 2000 database that I inherited and I'm having some problems with it since we've moved to Office 2007. First I can't seem to get the creating 'Database.mdb' to stop - now I've read it has something to do with Compact and Repair and possibly permissions, but nothing seems to work. Also I've noticed when a developer makes a copy of our Test Database to make some enhancements, she is noticing a lot of the data is being duplicated thus creating bigger problems. Does anyone have any advise for me as to what I can do to ge...

Problem with extending list formats and formulas
Hey all- I'm having a problem with extending list formats and formulas using Excel 2000. I know there are limitations to what that feature can do, but I thought I'd check here, since I have a very simple example that isn't working. I create a sheet with two columns. In the column A, I just enter any arbitrary number in each of the first 10 cells. For column B, I want to calculate the difference between the last two values in column A. In other words, B2's formula is =A2-A1, and B3 = A3-A2, etc.. I copy this formula down the first 10 cells of column B (skipping the first r...

Inserting pictures into Excel Sheet at a particular size
We have about 50 pictures we need to print for an in-house brochure. We have decided to import each picture into an Excel sheet. We decided to do that because we want to type a caption underneath the picture. We want the picture to print landscape on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. We have the margins set to .5" on each side. We want each picture we import to be the exact same size. Basically, the picture will fill the grid area from A1 to L29. When we import a picture, it uses a grid size of A1 to Z62. That means we have to resize each of these 50 pictures. We do...

Excel 2003
Hi all, This morning when I started my Excel 2003 and I tried to work the worksheet I found that when I pressed the left mouse button it would select various cells (as if the SHIFT key was pressed all the time. Tried to turn the Scroll/Num Lock OFF and it didnt work. This is on a portable computer. I have had this problem before but cant remember how I fixed. Help please -- ===== screwie sounds like the F8 key has been pressed. Do you see "Ext" in the status bar, towards the right side oof the screen? If so, press the F8 key again. If that isn't the issue, somebody el...

Find & Replace formating
Any suggestions? Problem with Find & Replace and formating. Sally tried to do a find and replace with the following: find "US", replace with "United States." Instead of replacing it as she has indicated, it replaced it with UNITED STATES. When she undid this and tried to do it again, she looked at the more specific find/replace options (where you can search for a certain format)--in that section, all of the format boxes under "effects" were checked. (I'm not ever sure how that is possible. Superscript AND subscript?) She unchecked them, ran the find rep...

Office 2007 viewers for Mac
I am increasingly getting docx, xlsx and pptx files from colleagues but can't of course read them on the Mac. I read in the interview with the head of the MacBU @ Microsoft that viewers were coming but I haven't found anything since. Does anyone know any more? I believe most everyone expected to se the converters by now, but I'm afraid you know as much as any of us. The Mactopia site is the place to check periodically - I'm certain they will be posted for d/l there as soon as they are available. In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003 for...

Getting text file into excell
Hello. I have text files which are loaded to excell. The text files are always of the same format. I want to load the file, but always I need to mark the positions of the current loaded file. How can I load the file always in a fixed format (can I do a templette for that ?) Thanks :) Mr. J. wrote: > I have text files which are loaded to excell. > The text files are always of the same format. > > I want to load the file, but always I need to mark the positions of > the current loaded file. > > How can I load the file always in a fixed format (can I do a > templett...

Excel Cell Formatting question
I am using MS Excel 2003 SP1. I would like to have negative numbers display as red and in brackets ) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks To -- Tom Bradstree ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Bradstreet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1578 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27296 Select the range you want to format and go to the Format menu, selec Cells. Then select the Number tab and select your number of decima places and the format for negative numbers ...

Column width in Excel 2003
My Bureau Chief has an Excel 2003 document that he receives from our finacial unit. When he tries to print the document out it shows ###### in different cells throughout the entire document. In the past when he used Excel 2000 he would just double click on the right hand side of the top of the column and it would expand the column one character larger and would print the whole number in each of those cells. In Excel 2003 when he does this, it still shows the #####'s and he has to physically go in and move the column over ever so slightly to get it to print out correctly. When th...

How do I set my Excel Chart to not show areas where I have no dat.
The lowest data on my chart is a 17... how do I set up the chart so that the blank areas for 1 through, say, 15 are not shown and the chart starts at 15? Amy, Double-click on your Y value axis scale. In the format Axis dialog box, go to the Scale tab. Enter the number 15 in the minimum scale entry box. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "AmyJ" wrote: > The lowest data on my chart is a 17... how do I set up the chart so that the > blank areas for 1 through, say, 15 are not shown and the chart starts at 15? ...

How to make one CSV file from two Excel sheets?
I have a huge database with about 400 columns. They are divided into two sheets - due to Excel limitation 256 columns in one sheet. I need to make one CSV file from these both sheets. The last column of first sheet should be followed by the first column of the second sheet. Is there any way how to do it directly from Excel? Or do you know any simple utility that can put together two CSV files exported from Excel? Thanks for any help Marek L. That sort of stiching can only be done using a hex editor. (And not all hex editors are created equal.) I did a quick search on the web and ther...

Show/hide is showing although the button isn't selected- word 2007
I cant get rid of the show/hide option even though the button isn't selected. Does anyone know how to fix it? I have tried shutting down the computer but it hasn't helped. This isn't a problem for other account users on this computer. Thanks, Bec The Show/Hide ¶ button toggles the display between showing ALL nonprinting characters (formatting marks) and those that are specifically selected in Tools | Options | View or Office Button | Word Options | Display. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvp...

Outlook 2007 Inbox Folder Missing
User is running Server 2003 and Office 2007. When he launches Outlook 2007 he has no "Inbox" in his "All Mail Items" list, which is under Mailbox - User Name. Using OWA it doesn't show up there either. He can get to it by launching Outlook and going to the "Outlook Today" page and clicking on "Inbox". He can send and receive. Any ideas? <rwright142@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1192554314.689256.121850@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... Hello rwright142, > User is running Server 2003 and Office 2007. When he launches Outlook &g...

Outlook 2007 sp2 cached mode availability service
Hello all running Exchange 2007 sp2, the cas and mbx server are on separate boxes and are both located in AD site1. The user community is all running Outlook 2007 sp2 and are located in AD site2, there is a DS3 connection between AD site1 and AD site2 no problems with the connection or speed of the connection. I have two questions #1 When outlook is connected to the network and using rpc and tcp/ip how does it call the exchange web services to find OOF, availibility, OAB? does it use tcp/ip or https ? and what server is it directly connecting with ? is it the CAS box or th...

How do you convert an add-in from acc 2000 to acc 2007?
We have a bunch of access add-ins that we created in acc 2000. Trying to upgrade to acc 2007 but we can't seem to get the add-ins to work. Is there a equivalent to the USYSREGINFO? We can't even find the table (or any system tables) when we open the original myaddin.mda in acc 2007. If there is a different way to register it, anyone know how? We were able to find the add-in manager and add the add-in. Could not edit the path where the add-in shuold be copied because we couldn't update the USYSREGINFO. Any help, pointers, guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. Z. Comments ...

Word 2007: Create a referenced date control with a default date
I am trying to do the following for a client: A template for a letter has a locked (grouped, but not protected) section on the first page containing content controls for name, address and date. On the following pages there is a header with REF fields referencing bookmarks around the content controls on the first page. This works fine for copying the data to the header. Now I want a default date in the date control on the first page, so I add a CREATEDDATE field inside the control. This gets filled in automatically when the document is generated, and the user can change the d...

Reproducable bug with Access 2007 runtime: macro, rename table does not work
Dear all, I have a macro renaming the table X to A. This macro works fine when access 2K3 is installed. With run-time 2007 (and perhaps with Access 2007 also), I don't get any error message and the rename is NOT done. (Run-time allows me to delete and import objects, but not to rename?) The table has no relations. Can someone tell me if there is a patch/workaround for this? Seems to be to be a (severe) bug. Regards, Alain ...