Formatting Lost in Excel 2007

Good afternoon,

I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is
that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully
someone out there will have an answer.

We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005
that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started
using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening
the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved
it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and
reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no formatting
again!

As mentioned, the file had a ton of broken links that were removed as
we thought that was the issue but that didn't help.

I've found that if I save it as a xlsx file, it will keep the
formatting (so far) but we have people with the 2003 version of excel
that need to use the file as well.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Krysten
0
zeetoe04

Maybe...

Similar problem...
http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=774151

and the solution was...
http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
(free - Formats and Styles Excel add-in -  no registration)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

"zeetoe04" <kmzito@gmail.com>
wrote in message news:148afcd8-49c3-4d52-a0bd-fd29838f781f@k33g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Jim
4/28/2010 4:26:43 PM
The application does not work. It will remove everything but when I go
to save the file, it tells me that Microsoft Office has an error and
needs to close Excel.

On Apr 28, 12:26=A0pm, "Jim Cone" <james.cone...@comcast.netXXX> wrote:
> Maybe...
>
> Similar problem...http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=3D=
774151

> and the solution was...http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
> (free - Formats and Styles Excel add-in - =A0no registration)
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon =A0USA
>
> "zeetoe04" <kmz...@gmail.com>
> wrote in messagenews:148afcd8-49c3-4d52-a0bd-fd29838f781f@k33g2000yqc.goo=
glegroups.com...
> Good afternoon,
>
> I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is
> that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully
> someone out there will have an answer.
>
> We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005
> that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started
> using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening
> the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved
> it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and
> reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no formatting
> again!
>
> As mentioned, the file had a ton of broken links that were removed as
> we thought that was the issue but that didn't help.
>
> I've found that if I save it as a xlsx file, it will keep the
> formatting (so far) but we have people with the 2003 version of excel
> that need to use the file as well.
>
> Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Krysten

0
zeetoe04
4/28/2010 6:01:07 PM
Your file may have corruption problems that extend beyond cell formats.
You may want to roundtrip the file thru HTML and back and see if that helps?...
SaveAs htm/html close then reopen and SaveAs .xlsx

If you do get the file squared away, you might consider keeping the file as an .xls file type.

If your file does not contain confidential info or the confidential info can be overwritten or removed,
then I would like to get a copy of the file to review.  Is that possible?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

On Apr 28, 12:26 pm, "Jim Cone" <james.cone...@comcast.netXXX> wrote:
> Maybe...
>
> Similar problem...http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=774151
>
> and the solution was...http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
> (free - Formats and Styles Excel add-in - no registration)
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon USA
>
> "zeetoe04" <kmz...@gmail.com>
> wrote in messagenews:148afcd8-49c3-4d52-a0bd-fd29838f781f@k33g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> Good afternoon,
>
> I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is
> that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully
> someone out there will have an answer.
>
> We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005
> that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started
> using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening
> the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved
> it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and
> reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no formatting
> again!
>
> As mentioned, the file had a ton of broken links that were removed as
> we thought that was the issue but that didn't help.
>
> I've found that if I save it as a xlsx file, it will keep the
> formatting (so far) but we have people with the 2003 version of excel
> that need to use the file as well.
>
> Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Krysten

0
Jim
4/28/2010 6:28:56 PM
Unfortunately I cannot forward it to you. If I disable the add-on, it
would save. We'll see tomorrow if it holds the formatting.
0
zeetoe04
4/29/2010 2:08:32 AM
On Apr 28, 10:08=A0pm, zeetoe04 <kmz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I cannot forward it to you. If I disable the add-on, it
> would save. We'll see tomorrow if it holds theformatting.

So far so good. Thanks for the help.
0
zeetoe04
5/2/2010 2:40:44 AM
Follow the given instructions:
1. Click on the Format button in the Style dialog box to open the Format
Cells dialog box.
2. Click on the appropriate tab in the dialog box.
3. Make the desired changes.
4. Press OK to close the Format Cells dialog box.
5. Press OK to close the Style dialog box.
6. The new style is added to the top of the Cell Styles gallery

kristain

negative number format

excel file size 0
Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows Explorer. Please could you tell me what kind of virus attack my file and the name of virus I would be glad if you reply as soon as possible Thank Dokles Better to run your AV to get this information. You dont have an up to date AV? Hmmm. Go to www.housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online Scanner. Go to www.grisoft.com and DL their FREE AV "Dokles" <dokles@lycos.com> wrote in message news:3C539357-BDE2-4908-BCC1-ED456AB645F6@microsoft.com... : Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows ...

sharing excel over internet
Hi, is it possible to share an excel file over internet (just like we can share an excel file over intranet by sharinf sharing workbook from tools menu) so that more than one person can work on it. Tks E& Rgds, Amag ...

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

How do I do dashboard charts in Excel
I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me how to make a start? Thanks and regards Nick Hi Nick, Here are some examples of speedo type gauges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm Cheers Andy Nick Cheng wrote: > I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales a...

Excel cannot find match
Using Excel 2003. Excel cannot find match for data that exists in spreadsheet when using the Find command. Any fixes? Perhaps Excel cannot find a match and doesn't need fixing. Your data may need fixing. Do you have extra spaces in the data? Are you looking for "entire cell contents" Are you looking for an exact match as in case-sensitive? Are you looking in formulas when you should be looking in values? See the available options under Edit>Find "Options>>" button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:02:08 -0700, "GLH" <glhoo...

Sharepoint 2007 & Business Portal
Has anyone heard about compatibility between Sharepoint 2007 and Business Portal 3.0? ------=_NextPart_0001_09DCA553 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Cindy - Thank you for posting to Newsgroups! Business Portal 3.0 is only compatible with Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 or SharePoint Portal Server 2003. Business Portal 4.0 will run on WSS 3.0 and on Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007. Thank you - Sarah Microsoft Online Support Engineer Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security ============================================== PLEA...

freezing formatting

Lost e-mail in outlook express
I imported my e-mail mailboxes into a new pc, and everytime I close the program it deletes all of my mail out of all of my folders? I changed the veiw settings and do not delete. I can't figure out why it keeps deleting them all? Any suggestions? Julie ...

Negative number formatting

Excel Upgrade question
We are using MS Office 2000 Professional. We would like to upgrade only the Excel 2000 to 2003. Can we just upgrade Excel without upgrading the whole MS Office suite? If so, should we expect any conflicts when we run MS Word 2000, PowerPoint 2000, etc or can Excel run nicely on it's own? Our systems are 2 year old XP Pro and Home versions. Thanks for any informative response. -- ADArnold ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ADArnold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12106 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

Outlook 2007 "profile"
Frustrating. When I open Outlook 2007, the program displays a "Choose Profile" screen (with only one option, called Outlook). This is rather new, and I don't know what I did to cause this. I simply want Outlook to open normally without this Profile screen. Any thoughts or comments? By the way, I did check the block that says to make this profile the default -- that didn't help. Thanks. EW Open the mail applet in the control panel. Select show profiles button. Your after the settings at the bottom of the dialog. "Lone Star" <ewyatt_del_me-@excit...

Windows mail won't send ms excel attchments
windows mail won't send either MS Excel 97-2003 or 2007 formats if I try to send either by itself. I have to attach same file I want to send in both formats. Then, only the 97-2003 format actually gets through. Either way, I'm getting notice that Mail can't send one or more attachments. Any suggestions to help eliminate the glitch would be most appreciated. Windows Mail doesn't care what the attachment is. But make sure the file you are trying to attach is not open anywhere else (i.e. in Excel). Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "woodrow" wrot...

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

In Excel Print preview freezes up PC
I have Office 2000 Professional. Whenever I use print pre- view in Excel my system freezes up. What could be causing this? I THINK that last year I had a simular problem and fixed it by somehow deleting a corrupted Office Toolbar file, then rebooting so that the file has to be regenerated. Could that be the solution? If so, what is the name of the file? Thanks. ...

winver 5x(Build 2195:Service Pack 4)
I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it Hi Office 2000 conatins Word and Excel. Maybe re-run the installer from your original CDs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mitworld" <mitworld@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E69E0237-E02B-4162-A0B2-100C81AD8590@microsoft.com... > I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack > 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it ...

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

How to format the value in a cell?