Formatting / Formula

Hi,
   Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following:

If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set
number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn
RED after 90 days to show that time's up!

Any help will be gratefully received

Telford Tom

1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection

2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=TODAY()-A1>=90

4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional
Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to
format. Enter the formula in the box below.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Telford Tom" wrote:

> Hi,
>    Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following:
>
> If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set
> number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn
> RED after 90 days to show that time's up!
>
> Any help will be gratefully received
>
> Telford Tom

Sorry, it must be me. This didn't work, things just went straight to Red even
though they're not out of date. In the formula  =TODAY()-A1>=90  should I be
typing anything in between the brackets?

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
> mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
> will have a white background even after selection
>
> 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
> =TODAY()-A1>=90
>
> 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
> 5. Hit OK
>
> PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional
> Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to
> format. Enter the formula in the box below.
>

> If this post helps click Yes
> ---------------
> Jacob Skaria
>

> "Telford Tom" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following:
> >
> > If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set
> > number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn
> > RED after 90 days to show that time's up!
> >
> > Any help will be gratefully received
> >
> > Telford Tom

We didnt validate blank entries. TODAY() referes to the current date. Try the
formula = TODAY() in a cell.

Using AND() we will have multiple conditions  as below

=AND(A1<>"",TODAY()-A1>=90)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Telford Tom" wrote:

> Sorry, it must be me. This didn't work, things just went straight to Red even
> though they're not out of date. In the formula  =TODAY()-A1>=90  should I be
> typing anything in between the brackets?
>
> "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
>
> > 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
> > mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
> > will have a white background even after selection
> >
> > 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
> > 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
> > =TODAY()-A1>=90
> >
> > 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
> > 5. Hit OK
> >
> > PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional
> > Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to
> > format. Enter the formula in the box below.
> >

> > If this post helps click Yes
> > ---------------
> > Jacob Skaria
> >

> > "Telford Tom" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >    Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following:
> > >
> > > If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set
> > > number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn
> > > RED after 90 days to show that time's up!
> > >
> > > Any help will be gratefully received
> > >
> > > Telford Tom

Sorry, still doesn't seem to be working, I'm sure it's me being a bit of a
thicky. I'll try to find some other way of doing it

Tom

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> We didnt validate blank entries. TODAY() referes to the current date. Try the
> formula = TODAY() in a cell.
>
> Using AND() we will have multiple conditions  as below
>
> =AND(A1<>"",TODAY()-A1>=90)
>
> If this post helps click Yes
> ---------------
> Jacob Skaria
>

> "Telford Tom" wrote:
>
> > Sorry, it must be me. This didn't work, things just went straight to Red even
> > though they're not out of date. In the formula  =TODAY()-A1>=90  should I be
> > typing anything in between the brackets?
> >
> > "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
> > > mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
> > > will have a white background even after selection
> > >
> > > 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
> > > 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
> > > =TODAY()-A1>=90
> > >
> > > 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
> > > 5. Hit OK
> > >
> > > PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional
> > > Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to
> > > format. Enter the formula in the box below.
> > >

> > > If this post helps click Yes
> > > ---------------
> > > Jacob Skaria

Given current date of November 21, 2009 anything before August 24, 2009
should turn to red.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 02:14:06 -0800, Telford Tom
<TelfordTom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry, it must be me. This didn't work, things just went straight to Red even
>though they're not out of date. In the formula  =TODAY()-A1>=90  should I be
>typing anything in between the brackets?
>
>"Jacob Skaria" wrote:
>
>> 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
>> mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
>> will have a white background even after selection
>>
>> 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
>> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
>> =TODAY()-A1>=90
>>
>> 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
>> 5. Hit OK
>>
>> PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional
>> Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to
>> format. Enter the formula in the box below.
>>

>> If this post helps click Yes
>> ---------------
>> Jacob Skaria
>>

>> "Telford Tom" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >    Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following:
>> >
>> > If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set
>> > number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn
>> > RED after 90 days to show that time's up!
>> >
>> > Any help will be gratefully received
>> >
>> > Telford Tom

0
Gord
11/21/2009 4:54:44 PM
That's what I expected, however, Sep, Oct & Nov dates turned Red as well

Tom

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Given current date of November 21, 2009 anything before August 24, 2009
> should turn to red.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 02:14:06 -0800, Telford Tom
> <TelfordTom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, it must be me. This didn't work, things just went straight to Red even
> >though they're not out of date. In the formula  =TODAY()-A1>=90  should I be
> >typing anything in between the brackets?
> >
> >"Jacob Skaria" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
> >> mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
> >> will have a white background even after selection
> >>
> >> 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
> >> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
> >> =TODAY()-A1>=90
> >>
> >> 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
> >> 5. Hit OK
> >>
> >> PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional
> >> Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to
> >> format. Enter the formula in the box below.
> >>

> >> If this post helps click Yes
> >> ---------------
> >> Jacob Skaria

> .

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Excel Formula Needed
Our DPW director is looking for a formula that he can enter the date and time that a plow driver started and the date and time that he ended and have it give him the total hours worked Thanks --- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ With start time in A1 and finish time in B1, in C1 put = B1-A1 Format all cells as Time. If you need to multiply this by an hourly rate, you will need to multiply the value in C1 by 24, then by the hourly rate, eg in D1:- =C1*24*Hrly_Rate -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Wi...

Trying to understand a formula
Hello Someone in my organization has put together what I consider to be a very well thought out spreadsheet to track inventory. When I attempt to analyze it "from the inside out", I ran across a formula that I don't understand and was unable to find in "Help". Obviously, this formula counts, item by item, the rows within the range that is in the formula. But can anyone tell me where I can find more information on this specific formula: =SUBTOTAL(3,C3:C62) ....and the number that appears in this cell is 58, which is the total of integers between 3 and 62. The real...

How to format the value in a cell?

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Help tweaking a formula
Hello all I have a spreadsheet where I am calculating returns from certain stock trades, here is the formula I have so far which I have in great part due to help from the kind folks on this board... =IF(ISERROR((((F7-E7)*(100000*D7))/H7)+G7),"",(((F7-E7)*(100000*D7))/H7)+G7) The problem I'm experiencing now is differentiating between long trades and short trades, Column "A" has either buy or sell in it... is there a way I can specify Excel to keep this formula but look at column "A" and if A = buy then F7-E7 ... but ... if A = sell then E7-F7 all the rest o...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Help with formula #14
Here is the formula =InventoryOrdered!D3-COUNTIF(InventorySold!B:B,"10-132500") What I want it to do is every time I enter numbers in cell D3 to CA3 in Inventory Ordered I want it to add those numbers, then subtract Inventory Sold countif function. Not quite sure, but... =sum(inventoryordered!D3:CA3) - COUNTIF(InventorySold!B:B,"10-132500") Crowraine wrote: > > Here is the formula > > =InventoryOrdered!D3-COUNTIF(InventorySold!B:B,"10-132500") > > What I want it to do is every time I enter numbers in cell D3 to CA3 in > Inventory O...

Change HTML Format to Plain Text Format
We would like to change 500 Outlook XP and 2003 clients to use Plain Text for emails rather than Rich Text or HTML. Is there a registery key I can modify, save and email out to all clients to automatically change the settings If you have any suggestions please let me know Thank Kevin ...

Formatting / Formula
Hi, Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following: If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn RED after 90 days to show that time's up! Any help will be gratefully received Telford Tom 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional ...

Will "IF THEN" Formula accomplish this for me?
Hello, In my worksheet below, I display budget amounts for each month of the year (the "Forecast" columns) which change to Actuals (the "Actual" columns) once a month has ended and the financials are completed. My "Full Year Forecast" column (the first column) needs to add Actual amounts for the months that have closed and Forecast amounts for the months with no Actuals yet. For example, if I have Actuals through March, my "Full Year Forecast" column should be adding Actuals for January, February, and March but Forecast amounts for April throu...