Formatting Cells/Data

Hi, I hope you are doing well.

I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open
the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to
excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos
numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field
is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish
the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum
option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up
on the positive #'s.  Hence the total is off by the sum of the negative #'s.
I've used the FORMAT cells option to format the column/cells from top to
bottom as number but the cells with the negative #'s remain left justified
and still are not calculated in the total.

Does anyone know what I can do to convert these cells to a number I can use
for calculating the total? Thanks in advance.

Ken
0
Ken1 (215)

Hi Ken-

I would think the first step is to more closely examine one of the cells
containing what should be a negative and determine what is causing the data
to be interpreted as text - that's what is preventing the numbers from being
subtracted in your total.

Once you isolate that it may be a simple matter of find & replace or it may
be more involved.

HTH |:>)

"Ken" wrote:

> Hi, I hope you are doing well.
>
> I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open
> the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to
> excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos
> numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field
> is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish
> the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum
> option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up
> on the positive #'s.  Hence the total is off by the sum of the negative #'s.
> I've used the FORMAT cells option to format the column/cells from top to
> bottom as number but the cells with the negative #'s remain left justified
> and still are not calculated in the total.
>
> Does anyone know what I can do to convert these cells to a number I can use
> for calculating the total? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ken
0
CyberTaz (411)

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Changes to Data on a Worksheet
I have a data entry sheet (Excel 2000) and a "store" sheet. The info on the data entry sheet is saved on a single row in the store sheet. I need to detect whether any changes have been made to the details on the data entry page and currently do this by concatenating every data cell on the data sheet and comparing it to the concatenated cells on the corresponding row in the store. Is there an easier way to detect whether any changes have been made on the data entry page? Thanks for any help. Brian Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "H...

Conditional Formating Help

Data missing
I linked an excel file to an access database. One of the data fields is showing #Num! in the column instead of the data.while saving this to a text format, I am losing the data. Can anyone help ? ...

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

merging data
Hi all:) I'm new to this forum and to to Excel (2000) and not sure that I'm asking this question correctly but here is what I'm trying to do. The data on my work sheet is pasted from another sorce and includes information: name, ref #, time, date. I use this information looking up the status of an order and enter a "status note" in 5th (last) column. As the day progresses, the source that the data comes from is copied and pasted under the current list I already have going and much of the data on the lower list is a duplicate. How can I merge the to list so that I hav...

Grouping sales data into weekly buckets
I have sales data that I want to analyze in weekly buckets. I can group all sales in a month by using the MONTH formula. (MONTH(actual invoice date)). I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has a suggestion for grouping sales by week. Some type of formula that has an output stating the week of the actual invoice date. Any suggestions? Hi John! You'll really need to introduce a week numbering formula and then you'll be able to group into weeks more easily. Take a look at the WEEKNUM function in the Analysis ToolPak Addin. But note that there are other methods than the two ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Data migration
Hey all, We're gearing up for a data migration that will, under our current plans, pull in just under a 1/2 million records. We have a custom app that will be migrating fractions of this at a time so I'm not concerned about the hit on the system for each migration chunk that we bring in. I am concerned about the overall hit on our system from adding almost 1/2 million records. Anyone out there experience significant perfomance problems after a similarly large set of records? If anyone out there has any recommendations based I would appreciate the input. At this point in the...

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...