Formating a text string?

I use subscripting in Excel for text cells, but would like to subscript in a
text string that includes numbers.  For example, I need to subscript the "x"
in Standard Deviation = 0.125 lbs/hr NOx.  Is there a way of doing this?
0
METCO1 (1)

Hi
select this character in the formula bar and goto format - cells

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"METCO1" <METCO1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I use subscripting in Excel for text cells, but would like to
subscript in a
> text string that includes numbers.  For example, I need to subscript
the "x"
> in Standard Deviation = 0.125 lbs/hr NOx.  Is there a way of doing
this?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/30/2004 6:22:40 PM
You can't use subscripting in a cell with a formula.

You could use an event macro to build the text string and format it.
Assume your formula is

    ="Standard Deviation = " & STDEV(B1:B100) & " lbs/hr NOx"

Put something like this in the worksheet code module (right-click the
worksheet tab and choose View Code):

    Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
        Const STEXT = "Standard Deviation = $$ lbs/hr NOx"
        Dim sStdDev As String

        sStdDev = Format(Application.StDev(Range("B1:B100")), "0.000")
        With Range("A1")
            .Value = Application.Substitute(STEXT, "$$", sStdDev)
            .Characters(Len(.Text), 1).Font.Subscript = True
        End With
    End Sub

Change your ranges to suit.

If you're not familiar with macros, see David McRitchie's "Getting
Started with Macros":

In article <59975300-0600-4A98-886F-52F735F87E12@microsoft.com>,
 METCO1 <METCO1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I use subscripting in Excel for text cells, but would like to subscript in a
> text string that includes numbers.  For example, I need to subscript the "x"
> in Standard Deviation = 0.125 lbs/hr NOx.  Is there a way of doing this?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

conditional formatting
I would like to use conditional formatting to highlight cells. Here is the scenerio .. a cell has a date that is calculated from a formula. If that date falls within the next 7 days i would like the cell to change colors. I for the life of me can not figure out the correct formula to put into the conditional formatting box. Thanks in advance. One way: With A1 selected: CF1: Formula is =AND(A1>=TODAY(), A1-TODAY()<=7) In article <0ED02BFE-5813-464A-9DCE-E902D6C974B9@microsoft.com>, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would like to use condit...

Formatting Text Boxes in UserForms
When designing text boxes for data entry, can the text box controls on the UserForm be assigned number formatting properties? For example, how would I arrange for data in TextBox1 to be in % with one decimal point, preferrably with a trailing % sign? You can format the value that goes in the textbox the way you want. Maybe something like: Option Explicit Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) If IsNumeric(Me.TextBox1.Value) Then Me.TextBox1.Value = Format(Me.TextBox1.Value / 100, "#0.0%") End If End Sub KG wrote: > > When des...

Finding text that's in italics
I've got a column in my excel data that contains text whereby some of the entries are in italics. I'd like to somehow be able to isoloate those items (via filtering or other means). I'd be willing to insert a column so that if the cell to the left is italics, a true response is indicated. Anyone know of any tricks? Thanks Gret A macro suit you? Sub find_italics() Dim rCell As Range Set coltocheck = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Column", Type:=8) For Each rCell In coltocheck If rCell.Font.FontStyle = "Italic" Or _ r...

Sending an SMS text message to a phone in CRM 4.0 via workflow
In CRM 3.0, we had a workflow that would send an SMS to a phone upon creation of a Case. Somehow, this is no longer working in CRM 4.0; the workflow fires succesfully with nor errors, but the (short) message is never received. Possibly because of the non ASCII format of the message CRM 4.0 sends out...? (To send an SMS, we just create a duplicate user record with the SMS/Phone address in the e-mail field). ...

Excel
I have 65 text files which I want to import into one Excel worksheet s I can run a report on the data. Is this possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi if you're looking for a way to automatically import several text files, this posting may help you: http://tinyurl.com/35fyc Note: Excel has a row limit (65536 maximum). depending on the size of your text files you max exceed this limit Frank > I have 65 text files which I want to import into one Excel worksheet > so I can run a report on the data. Is this possible? > > > --- > Message posted from ...

Who does text move?
Hi, Does anyone know why text made with publisher moves when a website is loaded? Oscar If you are referring to your website try checking your Publisher file with, from the Tools menu, Design checker. You may have some text boxes on top of one another. -- Don Vancouver, USA <jeroen.van.bijsterveld@davilex.nl> wrote in message news:1187614503.599939.227360@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know why text made with publisher moves when a website is > loaded? > > Oscar > ...

format of complex numbers
Hello, I have a problem concerning the data format when entering a comple number in Excel. I want to enter the complex number 2+0.01i So I enter �=COMPLEX(2;0,01;"i")� but when the number shows up in th worksheet it looks like: 2+1E-002i and I would like it to appear a 2+0.01i . So how do I change the format of the complex number? I have tried t use the Format cell option but it does not work -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =complex() returned a string--not a number. That's why changing the number format won't work. I don't have a pretty sug...

Conditional Formatting referencing other Worksheets
Hello, I sometimes get lost with too much formula-ese, so please forgive me if the answer is clearly out there. First, let me state that I understand that when a cell is linked, just the value, not the format travels with it. Here is what I want to do. I have a "dashboard" worksheet that combines the tasks off of 5 other worksheets. Basically I want to set up formatting so if the cell references: 'wksht1'=blue 'wksht2'=pink 'wksht3'=yellow ....and so on... What is the simplest way to do this? From my research on the boards it looks like conditional format...

Proper text
i am trying to change the casing in my text from all upper case to just the first letter Example: TRACY = Tracy. Can you help me anyone please I dont want to retype the whole work sheet Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm In article <AB9C86FA-6960-433C-8040-270503BF2813@microsoft.com>, "Tre1" <Tre1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i am trying to change the casing in my text from all upper case to just the > first letter Example: TRACY = Tracy. Can you help me anyone please I dont > want to retype the whole work sheet...

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Count Multiple Text Entries
Hi, Following a post I did yesterday 'Count Text to get a Percentage'....my next post is that I need to count text entries in differing cells to get a result - Probably Sumproduct is the probably the answer but despite reading up can't get it. In Cell A1 (Title Merged across): Have you Carried out a H&S Check? In Cell A2: Select Job Title In Cell A3: Is the list (Validation List), Plasterer, Chippy, Brickie In Cell B3: Answer = Yes or No (Validation) Q: If I get: Chippy (A3) and Yes (B3)......how can I sum this to get a figure? to the effect that every Chip...

WPF : how to print text onto which control
Hi all, I can't manage to write some text onto a control, using WPF. I've found some code on the web using DrawString. It doesn't work (?) with me. I'm making my own msgbox. So I want to be able to write the texts (with font attributes and so on) onto controls. Which control (WPF) may I use to write onto it, and how can print some text onto it ? Thanks Christian "Christian Hubert-Hugoud / weabow - Xtrem7 - Groobax" <nospam@weabow.com> wrote in message news:eeH6foPxKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I can't...

HTML/Rich Text Messages: Always Re-Downloading Bodies--Why...?
Currently using Outlook 2007, but has been the case with previous versions as well. Once a text with pictures, formatted text, etc (HTML and rich-text) downloads I view it -- but the message re-downloads every time I click on it in my inbox. I've checked the settings, but can't locate anything that'll make the message download, and stay downloaded, until I delete. Outlook isn't all that fast to begin with, but having to redownload a message because I've clicked it's header slows things down even more. ...

Conditional Formatting #79
How do I conditionally format some cells so that the ones containing a date that comes before today are highlighted? I've tried everything I can think of! (Mind you, that's not much) Hi select the cells choose format / conditional formatting choose cell value is choose less than type =today() click the format button - set your format OK twice Cheers julieD "Joooooooo" <Joooooooo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF13865C-5199-4E6A-A6CE-3E7CD2B34F33@microsoft.com... > How do I conditionally format some cells so that the ones containing a > d...

excel format
I am trying to get a format for numbers patterns that I work with. The normal pattern is 123456-1234. How can I use a format the not show leading 0's on the right side of the - ...

Conditional Formatting with 3 Criteria Options
I would like a Cell's Text to turn green if A1=B1, but turn red if A1<>B1, and no formatting if B1 is blank. What is the best way to go about this? I have excel2007. With that cell active, use Home/Conditional Formatting, use new Rule, use Use a formula to determine which cells to format and enter this formula: =AND(A1<>B1,B1<>"") then click format/fill/red then do another New Rule and use =AND(A1=B1,B1<>"") then click format/fill/green. HTH Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Nickle" <Nickle@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

I need to convert a scanned photo in Publisher to a jpeg format?
I have scanned a photo from my printer and would like to know how to convert the photo to a jpeg format. The photo is scanned to Publisher 2003. While in a state of withdrawal waiting for components to arrive to repair his dead laptop, Ed notices a message from "jonc9" <jonc9@discussions.microsoft.com>. >I have scanned a photo from my printer and would like to know how to >convert > the photo to a jpeg format. The photo is scanned to Publisher 2003. This once AND JUST THIS ONCE ONLY, right-click the picture in Publisher, click Save As Picture. In *ALL* future i...

Changing to the currency format
Hi, In a desperate situation and hoping someone might be able to help. I have this formula set up in a form: =IIf([Text14]>[Text12],[vendor Name] & " " & "spend" & " " & [Month] & " " & "YTD" & " " & "is" & " " & [Text14]-[Text12] & " " & "more compared to this time last year",[vendor Name] & " " & "spend" & " " & [Month] & " " & "YTD" & " " & "is&q...

Modifying Text in a column
Hello, I have a long column of text cells, each of which has a single piece of text in each cell. e.g., abc How can I change all the cells to have each cell modified by the addition of another piece of text added to it (no spaces) e.g. xyz becomes xyzK agh becomes aghK vtd beomes vtdK etc. Same "add-on" in each case. Thanks, Bob Hi Bob You can do it this way, assuming your data starts at A1 going down, just type =A1&"k" and copy down, it will adjust by itself. HTH John "Bob" <rgsros@notme.invalid> wrote in message news:idbeo7$dg2$1@news.eternal...

Problem retrieving text data from cell
Hello, I am parsing a spreadsheet and as part of the process I have to check what is in the cells in column A. The content is either a numeric character string, "019" for example, or "#N/A" The code below works fine as long as the cell contains a numeric string, but when it contains "#N/A" the behavior is strange. Dim oSourceSheet As WorkSheet If I use the Text propery, like this: sRegionNumber = oSourceSheet.Cells(lnFirstRow, 1).Text sRegionNumber is set to a Null string. If I use the default propery (Value?), like this sRegionNumber = oSourceSheet.Cells(lnFi...

copy and paste text crashes word
If I copy text from Textedit or a pdf (using Preview) and then paste that text into Word it'll crash. Once that happens I have to log out of OSX and come back before Word will run without crashing (it'll open and as soon as I enter a keystroke or select a menu it crashes). Copy and pasting from within word is fine. Running the latest version of Office 2008. Any thoughts? What version/update of OS X? Have you recently repaired disk permissions? The behavior you describe suggests that it may well not be a fault of Word, but that perhaps something is being put on the clipbo...

How to resolve this error?: "Input string was not in a correct for
I am getting the following error message when doing an import of Payables Invoices into GP using Integration Manager: "Input string was not in a correct format" Does anyone know what is causing this error and how do I resolve it? Please help. Thank you very much. ...

Generating an EXCEL dataset with formating
I have the need to generate an EXCEL dataset, not macro driven, which has formatting that just can�t be done in the CSV type of file format. Generally my requirements are for a 6 column table with bold column headings and a title line above the column heading that is also bold and in a merged cell of the 6 columns. Currently I am generating a .XML formatted document, but you have to remember to say Open with EXCEL or it opens in the browser and you see the code to generate the table not the table. The beginning of the code is below. Is there a better format that can be used, so ...

Subreport formatting 05-14-07
Is it possible to keep the formatting of the subform on a report separate from the formatting on the subform on the form. The text on the subform in my report needs to be smaller to fit on the page. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200705/1 ...

Conditional Formatting #63
I need to condionally format a field so that if the field = 1 it's yellow, if it = 2, it's Blue, etc... The conditional format feture only allows you 3 conditions and I need six. How can I get around this... I'm assuming I'll have employ code. Thanks. Hi, see this site: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=90 this will do what you want. Regards Frank >-----Original Message----- >I need to condionally format a field so that if the field >= 1 it's yellow, if it = 2, it's Blue, etc... > >The conditional format feture only allows you 3...