Format dates

Hello,

I would like to format a dates in column A to a specific format (either
directly in column A or column B)

The format is ddmmy. So for example 18/1/2006 should appear as 18016 and
3/12/2006 should appear as 03126. Is there a way to do this?

Using "format cells/date" wont do the trick. Any suggestions please?

Thank you,

Steven.
0
Steven (151)

Hi!

Use a CUSTOM format of ddmmy.

Select the cells
Goto Format>Cells>Number>Custom
In that little box on the right type: ddmmy
OK out

Biff

"steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to format a dates in column A to a specific format (either
> directly in column A or column B)
>
> The format is ddmmy. So for example 18/1/2006 should appear as 18016 and
> 3/12/2006 should appear as 03126. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Using "format cells/date" wont do the trick. Any suggestions please?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steven.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
1/19/2006 8:00:25 AM
This won't work. Have you tried this? Does it work for you?

Cause if I use a custom format ddmmy it displays it like ddmmyy. Also FYI if
I use a custom format ddmmyyy it displays it as ddmmyyyy.

Any other suggestions?

S.

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Use a CUSTOM format of ddmmy.
>
> Select the cells
> Goto Format>Cells>Number>Custom
> In that little box on the right type: ddmmy
> OK out
>
> Biff
>
> "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to format a dates in column A to a specific format (either
> > directly in column A or column B)
> >
> > The format is ddmmy. So for example 18/1/2006 should appear as 18016 and
> > 3/12/2006 should appear as 03126. Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Using "format cells/date" wont do the trick. Any suggestions please?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Steven.

0
Steven (151)
1/19/2006 8:26:05 AM
Ooops!

Yes, I did try it but must not have noticed the yy.

I'm not sure how to do this and have the date serial number still be the
same.

> This won't work. Have you tried this? Does it work for you?
>
> Cause if I use a custom format ddmmy it displays it like ddmmyy. Also FYI
> if
> I use a custom format ddmmyyy it displays it as ddmmyyyy.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> S.
>
> "Biff" wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Use a CUSTOM format of ddmmy.
>>
>> Select the cells
>> Goto Format>Cells>Number>Custom
>> In that little box on the right type: ddmmy
>> OK out
>>
>> Biff
>>
>> "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I would like to format a dates in column A to a specific format (either
>> > directly in column A or column B)
>> >
>> > The format is ddmmy. So for example 18/1/2006 should appear as 18016
>> > and
>> > 3/12/2006 should appear as 03126. Is there a way to do this?
>> >
>> > Using "format cells/date" wont do the trick. Any suggestions please?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Steven.

0
biffinpitt (3172)

How to Change Language of Dates in Outlook Express
I work on the Occupied West Bank, but for some reason my computer thinks it's in South Africa and uses Afrikaans for the outgoing date in OE. I would like to change the language of OE to English, but I can't figure out how. The Help says to get a language encoding download from the Explorer homepage under international, but I can't find it. In any case, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, since all I am asking for is Microsoft's native language. I am just a regular user, so please be as clear as possible if you have any ideas. Thanks much, Katherine F...

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

Count Dates?
I have a range A1:A1500 where the cells have the custom date format of dd.mm.yy However, some cells contain text. I need a formula to COUNT the number of cells that contain dd.mm.yy dates. I was going to try an array SUM(IF(...1,0) which tested for LEN of 8 (the no. of characters in the date fields). But some of the text entries could also contain 8 characters. Can anyone advise how I can count the dates? Many thanks,.....Jason try =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(H2:H22))*1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Jay" <spam@dummyaddress.sp...

How to list dates in a month of particular weekday
MY question is simple, sorry if i'm being stupid. Can anyone tell me how can i make a list which contains only dates of all the Fridays in a particular month? In a more advanced sense, can I create a list with all the Fridays AND Saturdays of a month? You didn't post a lot of detail about your setup. Assuming the month number is in A1 and your list of Fridays and Saturdays is to be listed in Column B starting at B1, put these formulas in the indicated cells... B1: =DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,8)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,2)) B2: =DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,8)-WEEKDAY(...

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Date calculation in a Query
I have this expression in a form and it works perfect DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) But, where should I write it in a query? The query should show all the items that shoul be removed from the list on the calculated date, and update the "removed from the list" the field from there. Thanks Ioia Add the expression as a calculated field in the query Field: Removal: DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) Criteria: = #2009-11-27# Then you can apply criteria against the calculated field. Another option would be...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Change HTML Format to Plain Text Format
We would like to change 500 Outlook XP and 2003 clients to use Plain Text for emails rather than Rich Text or HTML. Is there a registery key I can modify, save and email out to all clients to automatically change the settings If you have any suggestions please let me know Thank Kevin ...

Formatting / Formula
Hi, Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following: If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn RED after 90 days to show that time's up! Any help will be gratefully received Telford Tom 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional ...