Format date in excel 2000 like '31st January 2005'

Trying to set up field in Excel Data Source file so that the current date can
be input in letters typed in this format '31st January 2005'

Is it possible or am I stuck with dd/mmm/yy format?

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:45:01 -0700, "Malcolm Agingwell"
<MalcolmAgingwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Trying to set up field in Excel Data Source file so that the current date can
>be input in letters typed in this format '31st January 2005'
>
>Is it possible or am I stuck with dd/mmm/yy format?

You can certainly type in or input the date in that format.  It will be
interpreted as TEXT by Excel.

Perhaps if you explained your problem in more detail ???

Entering a date in that format seems rather inefficient compared to other
methods.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
6/29/2005 11:34:34 AM
You can type in

and display the same format :       dd mmmm yyyy

but you can't use the ordinal to input data without using a VBA event
macro.

In article <4188E5B6-A9C0-4AFA-9815-2D9C8E4FA34A@microsoft.com>,
 wrote:

> Trying to set up field in Excel Data Source file so that the current date can
> be input in letters typed in this format '31st January 2005'
>
> Is it possible or am I stuck with dd/mmm/yy format?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
6/29/2005 1:34:05 PM
Hello Malcolm:

I don�t know if this will work with Excel 2000 but try this.

The date goes in cell A1 and the day ( =DAY(A1) ) goes in cell A2.

=A1&IF(AND(MOD(A1,100)>=10,MOD(A1,100)<=14),"th",CHOOSE(MOD(A1,10)+1,"th","st","nd","rd","th","th","th","th","th","th"))&
"&TEXT(A2,"mmmm yyyy")

I got this from this web site listed under excel tips.

I hope this helps.

Mat

--
Flintston
Flintstone's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1531

Hi Matt,

Just a slight alteration to your formula that will also eliminate the
need for A2.  (It may show below as wrapped to several lines.
Obviously, you'd enter it all on 1 line.)

=DAY(A1)&IF(OR(AND(MOD(DAY(A1),100)>=4,MOD(DAY(A1),100)
<=20),AND(MOD(DAY(A1),100)>=24,MOD(DAY(A1),100)<=30)),"th",
CHOOSE(MOD(DAY(A1),10),"st","nd","rd","th","th","th","th","th","th"))&"
"&TEXT(A1,"mmmm yyyy")

Paul

0
psimon (29)

How to Change Language of Dates in Outlook Express
I work on the Occupied West Bank, but for some reason my computer thinks it's in South Africa and uses Afrikaans for the outgoing date in OE. I would like to change the language of OE to English, but I can't figure out how. The Help says to get a language encoding download from the Explorer homepage under international, but I can't find it. In any case, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, since all I am asking for is Microsoft's native language. I am just a regular user, so please be as clear as possible if you have any ideas. Thanks much, Katherine F...

excel file size 0
Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows Explorer. Please could you tell me what kind of virus attack my file and the name of virus I would be glad if you reply as soon as possible Thank Dokles Better to run your AV to get this information. You dont have an up to date AV? Hmmm. Go to www.housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online Scanner. Go to www.grisoft.com and DL their FREE AV "Dokles" <dokles@lycos.com> wrote in message news:3C539357-BDE2-4908-BCC1-ED456AB645F6@microsoft.com... : Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows ...

negative number format

Differences 2000 & 2002??
We are still having compatibility problems with different versions of Publisher e.g. 2000 and 2002. We have ditched the Pub 97 version!! The problem is that some members of our staff work at home on newer versions. Are there any great improvements/differences between 2000 and 2002? I know that the msg always appears about some features may be lost esp. formatting ones when a save as.... option is selected. I am thinking that it might be an easier solution to ensure that all work is done in Pub2k. So ... can two versions of Publisher be installed on one machine without any conflicts? Thanks - i...

sharing excel over internet
Hi, is it possible to share an excel file over internet (just like we can share an excel file over intranet by sharinf sharing workbook from tools menu) so that more than one person can work on it. Tks E& Rgds, Amag ...

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

How do I do dashboard charts in Excel
I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me how to make a start? Thanks and regards Nick Hi Nick, Here are some examples of speedo type gauges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm Cheers Andy Nick Cheng wrote: > I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales a...

Excel cannot find match
Using Excel 2003. Excel cannot find match for data that exists in spreadsheet when using the Find command. Any fixes? Perhaps Excel cannot find a match and doesn't need fixing. Your data may need fixing. Do you have extra spaces in the data? Are you looking for "entire cell contents" Are you looking for an exact match as in case-sensitive? Are you looking in formulas when you should be looking in values? See the available options under Edit>Find "Options>>" button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:02:08 -0700, "GLH" <glhoo...

Count Dates?
I have a range A1:A1500 where the cells have the custom date format of dd.mm.yy However, some cells contain text. I need a formula to COUNT the number of cells that contain dd.mm.yy dates. I was going to try an array SUM(IF(...1,0) which tested for LEN of 8 (the no. of characters in the date fields). But some of the text entries could also contain 8 characters. Can anyone advise how I can count the dates? Many thanks,.....Jason try =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(H2:H22))*1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Jay" <spam@dummyaddress.sp...

Linking to Excel from MS Project
I was wondering if there is a way so that I can link the Gant Chart (Picture) made in Project to a sheet in Excel... I know I can copy the image over and paste it into the sheet, but I wanted something that would be able to dynamically change on an update and I dont have to copy and paste all the time. Any help is appreciated. ...

freezing formatting

How to list dates in a month of particular weekday
MY question is simple, sorry if i'm being stupid. Can anyone tell me how can i make a list which contains only dates of all the Fridays in a particular month? In a more advanced sense, can I create a list with all the Fridays AND Saturdays of a month? You didn't post a lot of detail about your setup. Assuming the month number is in A1 and your list of Fridays and Saturdays is to be listed in Column B starting at B1, put these formulas in the indicated cells... B1: =DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,8)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,2)) B2: =DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,8)-WEEKDAY(...

Negative number formatting

Excel Upgrade question
We are using MS Office 2000 Professional. We would like to upgrade only the Excel 2000 to 2003. Can we just upgrade Excel without upgrading the whole MS Office suite? If so, should we expect any conflicts when we run MS Word 2000, PowerPoint 2000, etc or can Excel run nicely on it's own? Our systems are 2 year old XP Pro and Home versions. Thanks for any informative response. -- ADArnold ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ADArnold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12106 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

Windows mail won't send ms excel attchments
windows mail won't send either MS Excel 97-2003 or 2007 formats if I try to send either by itself. I have to attach same file I want to send in both formats. Then, only the 97-2003 format actually gets through. Either way, I'm getting notice that Mail can't send one or more attachments. Any suggestions to help eliminate the glitch would be most appreciated. Windows Mail doesn't care what the attachment is. But make sure the file you are trying to attach is not open anywhere else (i.e. in Excel). Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "woodrow" wrot...

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

winver 5x(Build 2195:Service Pack 4)
I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it Hi Office 2000 conatins Word and Excel. Maybe re-run the installer from your original CDs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mitworld" <mitworld@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E69E0237-E02B-4162-A0B2-100C81AD8590@microsoft.com... > I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack > 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it ...

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Date calculation in a Query
I have this expression in a form and it works perfect DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) But, where should I write it in a query? The query should show all the items that shoul be removed from the list on the calculated date, and update the "removed from the list" the field from there. Thanks Ioia Add the expression as a calculated field in the query Field: Removal: DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) Criteria: = #2009-11-27# Then you can apply criteria against the calculated field. Another option would be...