format cells that will show the data in parenthesis

I would like to format some cells that I put data into to be in ( )
Parentesis.. How do I do this?

An example would have been very useful. Assuming it's negative numbers you
want to parenthesize, use a custom format of:
#,##0.00;(#,##0.00)

Regards,
Fred

"Hoop" <Hoop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to format some cells that I put data into to be in ( )
> Parentesis.. How do I do this?

0
Fred

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

//WINBUG: Win32 will send a PSN_WIZBACK even if the button is disa
Does anyone have a workaround for this bug found in PropertySheet Dialog? ...

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

Data missing
I linked an excel file to an access database. One of the data fields is showing #Num! in the column instead of the data.while saving this to a text format, I am losing the data. Can anyone help ? ...

merging data
Hi all:) I'm new to this forum and to to Excel (2000) and not sure that I'm asking this question correctly but here is what I'm trying to do. The data on my work sheet is pasted from another sorce and includes information: name, ref #, time, date. I use this information looking up the status of an order and enter a "status note" in 5th (last) column. As the day progresses, the source that the data comes from is copied and pasted under the current list I already have going and much of the data on the lower list is a duplicate. How can I merge the to list so that I hav...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Year series shows wrong in chart
Hi all : using Excel 2003, I have what should not even be a problem that I cannot solve. I have a series of years in a column, 1970-2006 to be exact, and these are the labels for my x axis. When I insert chart this appears as 1,2,3,...instead of 1970, 1971, etc. It doesn't matter how I format that column, text, general, custom, nothing works. Why is it not just giving me the data in the format that is actually there and how can I get it? thanks for any help Bevin B. Try first entering the dates as dates. To check to make sure they're entered as dates, after entering the data c...

Grouping sales data into weekly buckets
I have sales data that I want to analyze in weekly buckets. I can group all sales in a month by using the MONTH formula. (MONTH(actual invoice date)). I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has a suggestion for grouping sales by week. Some type of formula that has an output stating the week of the actual invoice date. Any suggestions? Hi John! You'll really need to introduce a week numbering formula and then you'll be able to group into weeks more easily. Take a look at the WEEKNUM function in the Analysis ToolPak Addin. But note that there are other methods than the two ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Data migration
Hey all, We're gearing up for a data migration that will, under our current plans, pull in just under a 1/2 million records. We have a custom app that will be migrating fractions of this at a time so I'm not concerned about the hit on the system for each migration chunk that we bring in. I am concerned about the overall hit on our system from adding almost 1/2 million records. Anyone out there experience significant perfomance problems after a similarly large set of records? If anyone out there has any recommendations based I would appreciate the input. At this point in the...