Forcing Text Import Wizard to run

Is there any way that I can force the Text Import Wizard to run when opening a file, from the command line, in Excel? We have a program that outputs .rpt files, which are comma delimited, and I have added a file association to open them in Excel. Unfortunately they then open with all data in one column. I know I can change the extension to .txt, but then each file has to be opened from within outlook. I want to be able to double click the file and open excel automatically, with the Import Text Wizard started. I want to modify the file association configuration to force the text wizard to run. Any ideas (he says hopefully)?
0
anonymous (74722)

Sorry, I made a typing error in my original message; when I said "each file has to be opened from within outlook" I meant "each file has to be opened from within excel". Hope that didn't confuse the issue.
0
anonymous (74722)
1/8/2004 4:21:11 PM
How about just renaming the *.rpt to *.csv.

If your windows regional settings have the list separator a comma, you'll be all
set.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

erich wrote:

> Is there any way that I can force the Text Import Wizard to run when opening a file, from the command line, in Excel? We have a program that outputs .rpt files, which are comma delimited, and I have added a file association to open them in Excel. Unfortunately they then open with all data in one column. I know I can change the extension to .txt, but then each file has to be opened from within outlook. I want to be able to double click the file and open excel automatically, with the Import Text Wizard started. I want to modify the file association configuration to force the text wizard to run. Any ideas (he says hopefully)?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
1/9/2004 3:06:35 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, but this person receives many of these files as email attachments, and is hoping to avoid the "save as", "rename", "open explorer and double-click" (or open excel and click File, Open) procedure entirely. He claims that he used to be able to just double-click the attachment in the email, and it opened Excel and started the wizard. Now it does not. I had my doubts, but he is insisting that it worked. The only way I could see that working is if the File Association somehow included an instruction to start the Text Import Wizard when opening. I guess if the Text Import Wizard was a separate program, I could even associate the file extension with the wizard rather than Excel itself, but I can't find an executable file to start the wizard

Eric
0
anonymous (74722)
1/12/2004 2:21:29 PM
I didn't test this, but maybe you could.

Try associating .rpt with excel
shift right click on a .rpt file in windows explorer
choose Open With
select excel

See what happens.

If it's all imported into a single column, tell the user to do Data|Text to
columns.  Maybe that'll be easy enough for him to use.

If it parses it into nice columns, then it's even better.

And if it works, you assign .rpt to excel permanently (be aware that it could
affect other registered programs.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Need help formatting text
I am using OE 6 to read newsgroups and I sometimes post articles that I find on the web, often copying and pasting articles into new messages. However, when I do this, it formats it in such a way that when I open my posts, the paragraphs are separated by at least 3 lines, rather than 1 line. I have tried adding an additional step of pasting articles as unformatted text in word before I paste them in a new message in OE. It seems that no matter what I do, however, I get this weird extra spacing between the paragraphs. Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? -- Aloha, G-Ride &qu...

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

plain text attachment from explorer not working
I am using Outlook 2000 and have the mail format set to send plain text attachments. This worked for Win Me and Win 2000 but with my new Win XP SP2 machine when I send an internet explorer page it sends it as HTML instead of plain text. Any ideas? Since a web page is an HTML page, I'm not sure what the problem is here. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "woo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Who does text move?
Hi, Does anyone know why text made with publisher moves when a website is loaded? Oscar If you are referring to your website try checking your Publisher file with, from the Tools menu, Design checker. You may have some text boxes on top of one another. -- Don Vancouver, USA <jeroen.van.bijsterveld@davilex.nl> wrote in message news:1187614503.599939.227360@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know why text made with publisher moves when a website is > loaded? > > Oscar > ...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

Count of unique text
Hi, Suppose A1 to A5 has text info. How do i get a count of number of unique text of the above ? Eg: A1=a,A2=a,A3=b,A4=c,A4=b. I need the count to show 3 since there exists a,b,c as unique. Thanks for your help. Regards, Giri Hi, Try to use this array formula assuming you have no blanks in your data. =SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A5,A1:A5)) To make array formula you have to press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. Regards, Shailesh Shah >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > > Suppose A1 to A5 has text info. How do i get a count >of number of unique text of the above ? > >Eg: A1=...

Using Scheduled Tasks to run Macros problem
I have a database with two macros in it. When i run these macros from within the database, they run fine and when I run the shortcuts to the macros it runs fine. However, whenever I try to run the macro via Scheduled Tasks they frequently fail and I get error messages with regards to docmd scripts, OLE errors etc. Is there any reason why something would run OK normally, but not via a Scheduled Task that I should be aware of? I can give more specific error message details and VBA if it would help. Thanks There may be a permissions problem. Try setting up the tasks to run as ...

FTS: can I find texts not containing a specified word?
Hi everybody, Is there a way to find all records except the ones containing the specified word, for example, "research''? Unfortunately, texts don't have a common word that could be used as the first operand for operation &! I tried to use in CONTAINSTABLE() such combinations as "*" &! "research", "a" &! "research", but such queries found nothing. Thank you. CONTAINSTABLE is part of Full-Text Search, is it setup? Sounds like it isn't. You can use: NOT LIKE '%research%' in the where clause, ...

Importing filenames into an excel worksheet
Hello, i am not a programer, but i need to import filenames from a folde containing different subfolders and files directly into an exce worksheet. Is it possible? if yes, may someone give me the code and tell me how t proceed?? Thanks in advance. P.S: may the answer be sent to my mail also as i dont know if i a gonna be able to consult this forum for a while. thanks...... mail fadi_guindi@hotmail.com Spide -- spide ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spider's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=222 View this thread: http://www.msuse...

How to transfer iPhone text to pc, print out iPhone text
Many iPhone users have asked how to backup their iPhone SMS. They can't backup the SMS to anywhere. Then the SMS box is full, and they have to delete all of them to prevent iPhone rejecting new SMS receiving. But many SMS are too important to delete. What shall they do?Here I'd like to share my experience in this :I used this iPhone SMS to PC Backup program called Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS to transfer and backup all my SMS from my iPhone to my computer. What can it help you?- Backup SMS in iPhone to computer before iPhone reject receiving new SMS. - View and Manage old iPhone SMS in y...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

Import .pst to Exchange 2003
I installed Exchange Server 2003 on my network and I would like to import ..pst of the users to the Exchange Server 2003. Do you know any tools to do that ? I have hundred users on the network and I should not go on each PC. Regards Alfred On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 08:22:01 -0700, Alfred <Alfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I installed Exchange Server 2003 on my network and I would like to import >.pst of the users to the Exchange Server 2003. > >Do you know any tools to do that ? I have hundred users on the network and I >should not go on each PC. > >...

Importing a specific Visio tab into MS Word
I have a Visio 2007 document with about 12 diagrams, one on each of 12 tabs. I would like to import a several of the tabs into a Word 2007 document and link them so when I change the Visio document the Word doc is automatically updated. Unfortunately, Word links to the tab that was selected the last time the Visio document was saved, so all diagrams are the same if I update the Word doc. I would like to keep all the diagrams in one Visio doc for simplicity instead of having to have 12 diagrams in 12 separate files. is there a way to link to a specific tab? Thansk in advance, Marco U...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

Plain text #2
In replying to any incoming email message (no matter the format), how does one set the default to reply in plain text? I know that it can be done by individual email, but can it be set for all replies? TIA ...

force

My object cannot be sent behind the text
Hi I'm trying to send an object behind the text, the Draw/Order/Send to Back option is available but when I select it tye object is still in front of the text. Any suggestions? ...

String manipulation of value in report text box
I have a field in my RecordSource called Me.field containing a string. I have some code that I run this string through to do some rather complex string manipulation. I then want to put the result in a text box on my form. So... In the Load event of the form I do: ' Bunch of code here that manipulates Me.field and puts ' the result in the string variable called MyString Me.MyTextBox.Value = MyString This does not work. How do I simply assign the value MyString to my text box? Thanks, John John Harrington wrote: >I have a field in m...

Plain-text font size
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C35743.0FF78190 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there any way to increase the font size for reading e-mail from your = in-box? --=20 Janan Zonker California State University, Fullerton Faculty Affairs and Records O - 714-278-7420 F - 714-278-7597 jzonker@fullerton.edu No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message; however, a large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced. ------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C35743.0FF78190 Content-...

speech and text
I have speech and text recoginition off but everytime I open word, outlook after reboot, it asks me if I want to install them. I say no but happens all over again. Thanks. ...

DataSet.ReadXmlSchema and imports statement
Hi All I've had a look around and noticed a couple of others having this issue, but with no replies. Hopefully someone can help with this. I have a schema (let's call it "Schema1.xsd") that I want to read into an untyped DataSet using the ReadXmlSchema method. The problem is that "Schema1.xsd" imports another schema (let's call it "DataTypes.xsd") to reference some common data types. On calling ReadXmlSchema with the stream containing "Schema1.xsd" I see an error like the following: "Type 'http://myschemas/DataTypes.xsd:MyType...

Forcing an ActiveX control to serialize it's properties.
Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? Kurt "Kurt" <k_nojunk@larimore.net> wrote in message news:OqS15%23p3DHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? > > Kurt > > Kurt, Try getting a pointer to the IPersistStorage interface via QueryInterface. Then call the method IPersistStorage::Save which needs an IStorage* to specify where the properties will be saved to. ...

How do I change the width of text outlines?
I need to print out large individual letters (A4 size) to be coloured in by kids for a sign. How can I adjust the width of the outline so it's a few mms think? (i.e. like bubble writing) I would normally do this in Corel Draw but I don't have it on this computer and I;ve never used Publisher before. Thanks in anticipation :) I don't know if you can in Publisher - but then again, I've never tried. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher "ecca" <ecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:377A8DFA-EA42-4CFE-A1D7-4C97D20B0EFB@microsoft.co...