Fixed Decimal Question

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla
0
Carla (22)

Carla,

Methinks your client has poor memory. What you see is what is intended.

You probably need to format the cell as Number, with 2 dec places,
Format>Cells>Number.

--

HTH

RP

"Carla" <Carla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She
has
> fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
> said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if
she
> typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the
result
> is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is
what
> is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Carla

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
11/16/2005 5:03:55 PM
MS changed this behavior in xl2003 (I think).

Tell her to type 25.0 to get the whole number.

I use xl2003 SP2
and I can type 25. and the value in the cell is 25.
(I'm not sure if the behavior changed back with one of the service packs.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00.  So
long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR that
Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.

In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim

"Carla" wrote:

> It was formatted as general.
>
> "Duke Carey" wrote:
>
> > does she have the range formatted as Percent?
> >
> > "Carla" wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
> > > fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
> > > said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
> > > typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
> > > is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
> > > is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Carla
0
DukeCarey (494)
11/16/2005 10:13:28 PM
Duke, if her client is using 2003 it works that way, in 2003 you need to
enter 25.0 to get 25

Peo

"Duke Carey" <DukeCarey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
> enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
> formatted as %.
>
> Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00.  So
> long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR
that
> Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.
>
> In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim
>

> "Carla" wrote:
>
> > It was formatted as general.
> >
> > "Duke Carey" wrote:
> >
> > > does she have the range formatted as Percent?

However she

0
terre081 (3244)
11/16/2005 10:24:30 PM

"Carla" wrote:

> Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
> fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
> said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
> typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
> is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
> is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Carla
0
DukeCarey (494)
11/16/2005 10:46:57 PM
I could enter 25. (with the dot) and get 25, also.

Was this changed in SP2 of xl2003?

(I remember having to type 25.0 in either xl2003 or xl2003 SP1--am I remembering
incorrectly??)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Tools>Options>Edit.  Check "Fixed Decimals" and set for 2.

Enter 25 and you will get .25

Enter 25. and you will get 25

XL 97, 2002 and 2003

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:13:28 -0800, "Duke Carey"
<DukeCarey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
>enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
>formatted as %.
>
>Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00.  So
>long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR that
>Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.
>
>In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim
>

>"Carla" wrote:
>
>> It was formatted as general.
>>
>> "Duke Carey" wrote:
>>
>> > does she have the range formatted as Percent?

0
Gord
11/16/2005 10:48:14 PM
It was formatted as general.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

> does she have the range formatted as Percent?
>
> "Carla" wrote:
>
> > Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
> > fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
> > said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
> > typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
> > is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
> > is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Carla
0
Carla (22)

seeking your questions on RMS items--today!
Hi all, I’m the editor of the Microsoft Business Solutions Community site (www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/community). I wanted to let you know that we’re still taking questions on RMS items for our upcoming Q&A with Jimmy Wong, a Microsoft Software Design Engineer in Test (SDET) who works on the Retail Management System team. It doesn't matter how complex or simple your question/concern. Any topic goes, be it discounts, find, inventory, item types, item lookup, pricing, substitutes, or commission. Jimmy's open to any and all questions. :) So if you’ve got a question ...

VBA Question on Toolbars
HYCH Is there a way of disabling the Tools Option on the menu bar with VBA? Steve You can try something like: Application.CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("Tools").Enabled = False and later to toggle it back: Application.CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("Tools").Enabled = True It'll be effective until the user resets the toolbar. Steve wrote: > > HYCH > > Is there a way of disabling the Tools Option on the menu bar with VBA? > > Steve -- Dave Peterson On 24 Oct, 01:33, Dave Peterson <peter...@...

How do I fix this?
I used the Startup tool to setup my application but I unchecked the Menu Bar and the Shortcut Menu Bar checkboxes. I need to make some changes but I can't get the Tool menu back. Help Please. Thanks Hold down the Shift key when you open your database. Rob "Ayo" <Ayo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3A9F20A-231C-42CA-80C4-59B836CFE1AB@microsoft.com... >I used the Startup tool to setup my application but I unchecked the Menu >Bar > and the Shortcut Menu Bar checkboxes. I need to make some changes but I > can't > get the Tool menu ba...

Need to convert 2002 back t0 while laptop is fixed
My laptop with Money 2002 died and had to be sent in for service which will probably be about a month. The good news is that I backup up all my data files the day before and burned them to CD. My office machine is running Windows 98 SE and Money 2001 but it will not read the 2002 files. I can't install XP because the machine will not support it. I used a friend's machine and can open my backup file but I don't want to leave my financial data there. Is there some way I can transfer the data to Excel or save it in a backwardly compatible format? I tried to synchronis...

Fixing column width
I have a spreadsheet in which I have set the widths of certain columns using Autofit. The problem is that I often have to add to the spreadsheet by importing data from a text file. Every time I do that, the column width changes to the width of the new data (which is usually narrower than what I wanted). Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Thanks, Cliff Lewis Assuming you're using the Data, Import Data command, when you get to the final "Import Data" dialog there is a "Properties" button (in Excel 2003 at least). One of those properties is Adjust column w...

The great disappearing hot fix
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Yesterday, one of our users complained to me about some quirk in GP eConnect processing that I had thought we fixed in December of 2007 via a Hot Fix to eConnect. Well, when I checked our server it was as if the hot fix was never installed (the eConnect release version was the basic 9.0.3.0, instead of 9.0.3.4). The Hot Fix was also missing from Add/Remove Programs. I went to reinstall the hot fix, and when the install program started it gave me the option to either Repair or Remove the hot fix. So, something was still present tha...

Fix
What does the word FIX mean on Excel 2000? It is in the lower right hand corner 3 boxes away from NUM, 4 boxes from CAPS. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It means you have turned on fixed decimals places under tools>options>edit, so if you have 2 fixed decimal places and enter 20 in a cell it will change into 0.2 Just uncheck it if you don't want it -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "zacharias" <zacharias.vdc4c@excelforum-nospam.com&...

Dongle Question
Hi - We have a second cash register that won't come out of Evaluation Mode, but the main cash register/database works fine, what can cause this? I assumed there was a dongle issue but now I wonder about the network interface or network issue? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks Jerry Something simple, just in case it was overlooked - make sure the PC with the dongle boots first. Have you tried re-installing the Sentinel (dongle) software? Marc On 9/4/2010 11:25 AM, Jerry wrote: > Hi - > > We have a second cash register that won't come out ...

Adding up time in decimal value
Hi I'm trying to add up some cells containing the formula =(X1*0.64/60) The idea is that it rounds up to the nearest decimal point, fo example... 100 X 0.64 = 64, but I want it to show 1.1 (Like 1 hour and point 1 o an hour) This I can do, but the problem comes when adding up the cell containing the 1.1. For example 15 cells containing 1.1 add up to only 16 but I wan them to add up to 16.5. (15 X 1.1 instead of 15 X 64/60) Is there anybody out there who can help? -- awo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- awol's Profile: http://www.excelforum...

Error importing dates from fixed width txt files
I'm trying to revise an existing Import Spec to include new fields added to a fixed width text file. If I import without making any revisions the dates import correctly. They are on the file as CCYYMMDD and the data field in the Spec is Date/Time and I've deselected 4 digit year. My new date fields were added to the text file as YYMMDD and I select Date/Time data field for the new fields. However, with the revisions made adding the new fields none of the date fields import now with the revised spec. Another user created the spec and we're both using Access 2003 with th...

Cell Box - one of the 4 cell lines is open
What was the set of search "words" to find the answer... please? I have spent an hour. ( I don't want to tell you that I spent more time - mentioned). Oh yea! The lines are call borders and are part of cell formatting. Format > Cells... > Border > Outline > OK -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200826 "MUTTMIND" wrote: > What was the set of search "words" to find the answer... please? I have > spent an hour. ( I don't want to tell you that I spent more time - > mentioned). Oh yea! No worky. Excel 2007 - home tab - cells (ins...

The grow and shrink emphasis option question
Hi I have a question on the use of he grow and shrink emphais option under custom animation. I make an object (an airplane icon) grow to say 150% (i.e. 50% larger) - the take-off drama I them make a motion path that allows my airplane to fly in a NorthWesterly diagonal direction - the journey drama I then shrink my airplane to nomal (actual) size from its grown size - the landing dramslative to the alre my question is when i shrik the airplane icon object is such shrinking calulated relative to the actual normal size or is it calculated relative to the already grown size (i...

Fixed Assets Quick Links
Does anyone know why I cannot customize the homepage with links to Fixed Asset windows? ...

Negative NBV in Fixed asset module
Does anyone konw why negative NBV will be happened in the fixed asset module and how to avoid this happen ? example like the asset cost 10,000 but it total deprecation amount (fully deprecaited) is 15,000. thanks ...

No MS Money Release in 2009...Question
I have read that Microsoft has announced that there will be no Money release in 2009. My Money Plus is set to expire on 08/09/2009. What is Money doing for those who are set to expire? Will we have to worry? Only time will tell for sure. Nothing has been announced yet. My **suspicion** is that either a) Microsoft will come up with some way to take your money to extend that date, or b) the date won't be immediately enforced. But I could be completely wrong. <nomail@mybox.net> wrote in message news:13prq4907108c9ae1re0r2sjfvomll47jp@4ax.com... >I have read that Microsoft...

dumb question on PIA 2007
can one use PIA 2007 in .net 3.5 with, only office xp and all compatibility packs installed? the project is just using basic excel automation, no intrinsic 2007 nor 2003 functions in formulas nor formats I know the PIA 2007 download does say This download works with the following Office program: a.. 2007 Microsoft Office system it is somewhat difficult to find info on PIA xp (PIA v10) but quite a few of my clients are still using office XP or office 2003 ...

hotmail fix
I am still unable to get into hotmail. I've tried several attempts at fixes that were on the intranet but to no avail. pbrown said the following on 11/11/2004 2:09 PM: > I am still unable to get into hotmail. I've tried several attempts at fixes > that were on the intranet but to no avail. Unless you are not a MSN Premium customer, you are no longer able to access Hotmail mailbox using Outlook. There are third-party utility that can allow you to retrieve Hotmail mails. -- Alex Yu http://mucha.us/blogs/alex/ This posting represents my own opinion, and in no way cl...

Easy MSCRM DB question
I just herited a Microsoft CRM 1.2 server. I just had a quick question regarding the SQL DB: Is there a reason why the CRM database (MSCRM) is set to "restrict Access" DBO only in the DB propreties? Is this standard? Regards JP I don't believe that is standard or necessary. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "JP Breton" wrote: > I just herited a Microsoft CRM 1.2 server. > > I just had a quick question regarding the SQL DB: > > Is there a reason why the CRM database (MSCRM) is set to "restrict Access" > DBO only ...

Security Roles question
Hi there! I ' m having a problem finding the meaning of defining the access level "User" in the "Create" priviledge. What does this mean? How does this affect the security roles? Thanks, Elena It means the Create privilege applies only to records owned by the user (access level = scope) Peter "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgroup@sieben.gr> wrote in message news:uFC0RXILEHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi there! > I ' m having a problem finding the meaning of defining the access level > "User" in the "Create" p...

Money Plus
Hello, Is there a way to have the Portfolio Manager screen appear by default when I click on the "Investing" menu item? I don't use the info on the current "Investing Home" default screen and would like to see Portfolio Manager screen by default. It would save me from clicking "Investing", then clicking "Portfolio Manager" I just upgraded from Money 2004 Deluxe to Money Plus Deluxe. Thank you. - Ted. On Sep 22, 3:34 pm, Ted <tedj1...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to have the Portfolio Manager screen appear by d...

formulation question
I am trying to create a sliding scale for a payroll functionand would like to create three different percent calculations on one cell based on the amount. for instance if the cell value is 0-1200.00*45% if the value is over 1200.00*47% if value is over 2000.00 *50% I have tried to do this for hours but having NO luck thanks for any HELP tjbar@cox.net One way: =A1*(45%+2%*(A1>1200)+3%*(A1>2000)) In article <1qLGh.4632$M35.1698@newsfe12.phx>, "TJ Bartel" <tjbar@cox.net> wrote: > I am trying to create a sliding scale for a payroll functionand would lik...

Duration fixed and Work fixed
Hello, I need to do one taks with "duration fixed AND Work Fied" is this possible ? I need that dont move duration and work but units be variable.. I cant. Sorry my english and thanks in advance, Christian W Christian W -- No, you CANNOT fix both Duration and Work. Sorry. -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexperts.com "We write the books on Project Server" "Christian W" <ChristianW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C03...

Performance question
Will a mailstore on a smaller database (30GB) perform better than one on a larger database (100GB)? Why or why not? I'm not sure I understand your question. The store IS the database. "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AABA67C-00A0-496D-95A8-7B1739D184AF@microsoft.com... > Will a mailstore on a smaller database (30GB) perform better than one on a > larger database (100GB)? Why or why not? There is no valid answer without more details. This is much too general of a question. The only answer that can be provided is &quo...

Fixed Asset addition cost in Financial
Hi, I create new asset from Cards general and attach the book & Accounts. after this i run gl posting to refelect the cost in gl. but its in not doing. Regards asad Asad, Drill down on the asset cost amount in the book window. Check the period for which the cost was added. Make sure you specify that period when you run the interface to the gl. "Asad" <Asad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5036E88C-012D-4BD6-9301-67F8A7B7FCFE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I create new asset from Cards general and attach the book & Accounts. after > th...

disaster recovery question
We're running Exchange Server 2003 on Windows 2000 SP4 right now and I'm dreading the in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2003. Is it possible to rebuild the server with a clean Server 2003 install, re-install Exchange 2003 (same names for orgs, admin groups, stores, etc. same paths too). Then after it's all setup from a clean install, restore my info stores back? How do you think this would work? Any consequences I should be aware of? Sincerely, -- Brian Spooner, MCSE Network Engineer THe Swing method might come in handy here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821896 On ...