finding the last value

I have a monthly inventory sheet, it has an opening balance column, a couple
of columns for different activity and an ending balance - each row is a day
of the month. Untill today() = the row date (column A), the ending balance
column remains zero.

I have a total row at the bottom for the activity columns, but for the
ending balance column I would like to be able to display the last balance. I
have thought about an IF statement to check each cell until I find a value,
but 31 nested IF's sounds a little crazy.

Ideas?
0
SimonShaw (26)

Hi Simon

(BTW you can't have 31 nested IFs  ... only 7)
however, this formula should give you what you need:
=INDEX(E1:E10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,E1:E10))

where E1:E10 is the range of your balances.
For an explaination of how this formula works check out
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html

Cheers
JulieD

"Simon Shaw" <SimonShaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a monthly inventory sheet, it has an opening balance column, a
>couple
> of columns for different activity and an ending balance - each row is a
> day
> of the month. Untill today() = the row date (column A), the ending balance
> column remains zero.
>
> I have a total row at the bottom for the activity columns, but for the
> ending balance column I would like to be able to display the last balance.
> have thought about an IF statement to check each cell until I find a
> value,
> but 31 nested IF's sounds a little crazy.
>
> Ideas?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
1/14/2005 4:05:59 AM
this works so long as the formula within the range is not returning a zero
for the remaining amounts...

the formula returns zero.

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Simon
>
> (BTW you can't have 31 nested IFs  ... only 7)
> however, this formula should give you what you need:
> =INDEX(E1:E10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,E1:E10))
>
> where E1:E10 is the range of your balances.
> For an explaination of how this formula works check out
> http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "Simon Shaw" <SimonShaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a monthly inventory sheet, it has an opening balance column, a
> >couple
> > of columns for different activity and an ending balance - each row is a
> > day
> > of the month. Untill today() = the row date (column A), the ending balance
> > column remains zero.
> >
> > I have a total row at the bottom for the activity columns, but for the
> > ending balance column I would like to be able to display the last balance.
> > have thought about an IF statement to check each cell until I find a
> > value,
> > but 31 nested IF's sounds a little crazy.
> >
> > Ideas?

0
SimonShaw (26)
1/14/2005 4:23:02 AM
I ended up adding a column that checked if the number in the next row was
zero and the current row was not zero. If true return a 1, false return 0.
Then I used a sumproduct of the two columns.

but your example is interesting... that sure is thinking outside the box...!

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Simon
>
> (BTW you can't have 31 nested IFs  ... only 7)
> however, this formula should give you what you need:
> =INDEX(E1:E10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,E1:E10))
>
> where E1:E10 is the range of your balances.
> For an explaination of how this formula works check out
> http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "Simon Shaw" <SimonShaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a monthly inventory sheet, it has an opening balance column, a
> >couple
> > of columns for different activity and an ending balance - each row is a
> > day
> > of the month. Untill today() = the row date (column A), the ending balance
> > column remains zero.
> >
> > I have a total row at the bottom for the activity columns, but for the
> > ending balance column I would like to be able to display the last balance.
> > have thought about an IF statement to check each cell until I find a
> > value,
> > but 31 nested IF's sounds a little crazy.
> >
> > Ideas?

0
SimonShaw (26)
1/14/2005 4:39:03 AM
Hi!

No need for helper columns.

Try this formula entered as an array with the key combo of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(A1:A8,LARGE(IF(A1:A8>0,ROW(A1:A8)),1))

Biff

wrote in message
34FC38475126@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a monthly inventory sheet, it has an opening
balance column, a
>> >couple
>> > of columns for different activity and an ending
balance - each row is a
>> > day
>> > of the month. Untill today() = the row date (column
A), the ending balance
>> > column remains zero.
>> >
>> > I have a total row at the bottom for the activity
columns, but for the
>> > ending balance column I would like to be able to
display the last balance.
>> > have thought about an IF statement to check each cell
until I find a
>> > value,
>> > but 31 nested IF's sounds a little crazy.
>> >
>> > Ideas?
>>

>.

0
biffinpitt (3171)
1/14/2005 8:30:44 AM
Hi Biff,

I get a #REF error when I use the formula...

I think the LARGE formula requires another parameter, but not sure what to
use...

Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> No need for helper columns.
>
> Try this formula entered as an array with the key combo of
> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:
>
> =INDEX(A1:A8,LARGE(IF(A1:A8>0,ROW(A1:A8)),1))
>
> Biff

0
SimonShaw (26)
1/14/2005 1:59:04 PM
Hi!

>I get a #REF error when I use the formula...

=INDEX(A1:A8,LARGE(IF(A1:A8>0,ROW(A1:A8)),1))

It's probably due to the range that you are using in the
ROW() function.

It's not the same as the range reference that is used for
the INDEX argument.

The range used in the ROW function is equivalent to the
total number of values in your range, not the actual
physical location of the range itself.

INDEX(A1:A8.....

That range has a physical location of A1:A8 and has a
total of 8 positions. When Excel calculates this formula
it creates a virtual array of the values in the range
A1:A8. Where A1 is the 1st position, A2 the 2nd position,
A3 the 3rd position and so on.

The ROW function is simply a means that is used to tell
Excel which POSITION in the virtual array to find the
value we're looking for.

Consider this example:

INDEX(A100:A110....

The physical location of this range is A100:A110. This
range contains a total of 10 positions. Where A100 is the
1st position and A110 is the 10th position.

In this case the ROW function argument would be ROW
(A1:A10).

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3171)
1/14/2005 7:40:17 PM
You appear to be looking for the last non-zero value...

=LOOKUP(2,1/(ABS(E1:INDEX(E1:E10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,E1:E10)))>0),E1:E10)

For a very large range, this would be expensive.

Simon Shaw wrote:
> this works so long as the formula within the range is not returning a zero
> for the remaining amounts...
>
> 34
> 25
> 57
> 67
> 48
> 0
> 0
> 0
>
> the formula returns zero.
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>

>>Hi Simon
>>
>>(BTW you can't have 31 nested IFs  ... only 7)
>>however, this formula should give you what you need:
>>=INDEX(E1:E10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,E1:E10))
>>
>>where E1:E10 is the range of your balances.
>>For an explaination of how this formula works check out
>>http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html
>>
>>Cheers
>>JulieD
>>
>>"Simon Shaw" <SimonShaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a monthly inventory sheet, it has an opening balance column, a
>>>couple
>>>of columns for different activity and an ending balance - each row is a
>>>day
>>>of the month. Untill today() = the row date (column A), the ending balance
>>>column remains zero.
>>>
>>>I have a total row at the bottom for the activity columns, but for the
>>>ending balance column I would like to be able to display the last balance.
>>>have thought about an IF statement to check each cell until I find a
>>>value,
>>>but 31 nested IF's sounds a little crazy.
>>>
>>>Ideas?

0
akyurek (248)
1/15/2005 1:45:13 AM
"Aladin Akyurek" <akyurek@xs4all.nl> wrote...
>You appear to be looking for the last non-zero value...
>
>=LOOKUP(2,1/(ABS(E1:INDEX(E1:E10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,
>E1:E10)))>0),E1:E10)

I haven't tested, but LOOKUP doesn't mind if its 2nd and 3rd arguments are
different size? Why would this be better than the simpler

=LOOKUP(2,1/(-E1:E10<>0),E1:E10)

?

0
hrlngrv (1990)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

VBA to insert .xlborder if cell value not equal to previous cell
I've got a worksheet and I'm wondering whether it is possible to insert a line when a value in Column A, B, C & D does not equal the values in the row above or below it. I've currently got a formula in Column A that reads.... =IF(AND(B3=B2,C3=C2,D3=D2,E3=E2),"","IL") and a conditional format that if the cell value is equal to "IL" then put a border. Wondering if there is a better way to do this via VBA or is that the better way? In your conditional formatting formula, instead of =A1="IL" (which I assume is what you've...

Fix the order of the last name and first name
How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and the first name is second, separated by a comma. Hi! What order do you want them in? Biff >-----Original Message----- >How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and the >first name is second, separated by a comma. >. > Hi try =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,255)) & " " & TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Zami wrote: > How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and > the first na...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

cannot find database

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

unique value
Hi, I need to add a custom field, but I need this field to be unique (something similar to a primary key) bud I do not know how to do that. Thanks a lot. An example might be a Case number. You would add the field then add code to add one to the largest value found in the database. This will require code to implement ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AA3E00-686E-4B58-B8C4-52B83CB1E538@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to add a custom field, bu...

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Referencing the Seconday Y axis scale values in code
Does anyone know how to Reference the Seconday Y axis scale values in code? I am automating a spreadsheet that uses a chart and i need to adjust these values at run time. I'm using Visual Basic. Thanks! Hi Ken, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to coding but the following KB article may point you in the right direction? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213695 Cheers, Katherine "Ken Ramirez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093901c398be$4b49ecd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to Reference the S...

Look at field, check to see if that value exists in another table and act accordingly.
Hello ms.pub.access, I've been assigned to generate a DB to help analyze certain capability deficiencies within the US Army. I'm at a real show stopper based on my current knowledge level. I'm in need of some kind of routine that will check the value of the 'Tier3' field against a list of high priority tier3 values located in a separate table called 'mpmi'. If a high priority tier3 value is found within my table 'analyze' from field 'tier3' then I need the routine to generate a score of 1 and place it into the field called 'score'. If it...

Picklist Default Values ?
A problem: After a Lead is converted to an Opportunity, the new Opportunity has NULL values in the OpportunityBase table and CRMOpportunity.Retrieve cant access any picklist values for that Opportunity. Is there a way to access the default values for the picklist, perhaps through SQL ? The default values appear on the opportunity in the user interface - surely they must be there somewhere - or are they ? I have seen this problem posted but without any good solutions yet. Thanks. S picklist values are stored in the stringmap table "SuperSonic Steve" <lafleur@canadiensfan.c...

Last cell in row range with a result
I need to see if anyone can tell me if it's possible to find the last cell in a range that has a result and not just a formulas. We have this file that has a row of formulas as each cell it a different day of the month. In another file I need to pull the current cell and at this time I have to change the cell reference. Please let me know, thanks if you have a row of data , say row 3, with no included blanks, then the last value in that row is: =INDEX($3:$3,COUNTA($3:$3)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200713 Gary''s Student wrote: > if you have a row of data , say ...