Finding Duplicated Text within Columns

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me with the following:

I have 2 columns, both contain a number of items, some the same, some not; eg:

Column A:                                Column B:
Row 1: apple pear orange          apple orange
Row 2: orange banana               banana orange
Row 3: peach banana melon       grape apple orange

I need to compare the columns and find which rows are NOT exactly the same
and, preferably, to identify the differences.

For instance, in the above example, I would ignore Row 2 as the cells
contain the same items (albeit in a different order), but I want Excel to
identify in the next Column items which are not the same, eg in Row 1 it
would identify "pear" etc.

I have tried various ways of solving this to no avail!  I would prefer to
not have to use a pivot table in this instance.

Many thanks

Jen
0
Jen (116)

While there is a chance this formula will not always be
100% accurate, it should work in your case. In C1 put
(all 1 formula):

=SUMPRODUCT(CODE(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))
=SUMPRODUCT(CODE(MID(B1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(B1))),1)))

and fill down. FALSE indicates that the cells of the same
row in columns A an B are not the same.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jasonjmorin (551)

Publisher cuts off text from word file that I am pasting into tex.
What does "Type your message here" mean to you? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Let me guess the question... You paste Word text into a Publisher text box and it doesn't fit. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DeborahKB" <DeborahKB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F29CD723-545B-4A7C-8ACA-DD5092DCE101@microsoft.com... > Ooooooooh, Mary...

Duplicates
I have a list of names and I would like to check whether I have any d-plicates in a column rather than checking by eye. If anyone knows how to do this please - then I would be very grateful if someone post a solution. Kind regards Try Chip Pearson's web site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm Scroll down to the D's, and check out the pages on Duplicates. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== <nospam_musrol@btinternet.com> wrote in ...

Help with text function
I need a function to help return the first name of a text sting that contains last name,first name, midlle initial. For instance for "Walker,Catrina L" I need to return "Catrina" Terrence Are you absolutely, positively certain that EVERY text string contains the sequence LastName, FirstName MiddleInitial? Cher, for example, ... .... or Jean Claude van Damm .... or Billy Bob Thorton If you can, without question, state that every text string has a single comma in it, placed between the LastName and FirstName (hmmm, what about John Doe, Jr. ... ...

Exporting to a text file
How to export an Access query to a text file without the column heading? The query consists of single column and is used to import to an accounting system. Thanks. Cannot be done with the built-in TransferText action / method. You'd need to open a text file via VBA code and write the query's records (one at a time) into that file. If interested, post back and I'll provide some sample code. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Paul" <paul_mak@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:O$MxJCPlHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How to export an Access quer...

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

PLEASE HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file #2
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Node.text
Hi Making the switch to .net from VB6, and I noticed that the XMLNode object does not expose a text property. How do I write the text value of an element(vb6 - nod.Text = ....)? BTW I have googled may different combinations, and finding an answer to this is harder than it looks. I promise I am not being lazy Thanks Have you tried the InnerText property? -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Newbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EA21AC9-EE85-4C45-9D3F-C1BD4975D36D@microsoft.com... > Hi, &g...

Find (but not find)

Table Row Height and Column Width
Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher 2003? For instance, I want all the rows to be .25 inches high or 16 points high -- can I set this? No... You could create ruler guides. Right-click a ruler guide, click format ruler guides. You then can adjust your table rows by snapping to the guides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Lori T" <Lori T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2631297F-839A-4699-B4F6-45601B771E1A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher > 2003...

message with RTF in outbox disables rich text control?
i develop a VAR application that sends emails on behalf of the user (using outlook automation usually via outlook redemption). An increasing number of customers are coming up with an error (0x8000405 unspecified error) when same program tries to instantiate a richtext object while emails are still in the outbox (or in drafts folder). Or at least that is my initial diagnosis. The richtext component seems fine. It was used to create the message body of the original email and that email is sent ok. Subsequent attempts to use the richtext control will work once the outbox is ...

Finding an event

Looking for a basic "duplicate file name finder" app.
Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like? I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and searched, I got 800 hits. When I tried the "most popular" according to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted to "clean up my system". Thanks. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...

cannot find database

Can I place visible text in cell that won't print
Is it possible for me to place text in some cells where I can see the text but that will not print when my sheet is printed. I am aware of the comment feature that becomes visible when the mouse hovers over the small red symbol. I would like to be able to see what is in the cell without having to hover the mouse over each cell to see a comment. Is this possible? Thank you for any direction here. Jerry There are a few possible solutions. One is to use the comment as you noted, but you can have them always display even without the mouse hovering over it by using Tools/Options/View and se...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How do I find the out of office reply?