Find Worksheet by name in any open workbook

Excel 2002.

From within a Macro, is it possible to locate and copy an entire spreadsheet
based on the worksheet name only?  When I try to record the macro, I can't
get around it specifying the workbook name.  Asking the user to specify the
workbook name (to populate a variable) is just asking for trouble.

The data I want to retrieve is dumped from a host system into an Excel file.
The name of the workbook will vary, but the worksheet name will always be
the name of the host system query ("AQSD90_S").

I would like to create a macro that finds the worksheet and copies the data
into it's own worksheet and then proceeds to calculate various data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

0
stevemcb (16)

One way:

   Worksheets("AQSD90_5").Copy

will copy the sheet to a new workbook, and activate that workbook.
So you can use:

    Worksheets("AQSD90_5").Copy
    With ActiveWorkbook
        'do your calculations here
        .SaveAs "New Filename"
        .Close SaveChanges:=False
     End With

In article <u3rNn88RDHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
 "Steve McBride" <stevemcb@nospam_bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Excel 2002.
>
> From within a Macro, is it possible to locate and copy an entire spreadsheet
> based on the worksheet name only?  When I try to record the macro, I can't
> get around it specifying the workbook name.  Asking the user to specify the
> workbook name (to populate a variable) is just asking for trouble.
>
> The data I want to retrieve is dumped from a host system into an Excel file.
> The name of the workbook will vary, but the worksheet name will always be
> the name of the host system query ("AQSD90_S").
>
> I would like to create a macro that finds the worksheet and copies the data
> into it's own worksheet and then proceeds to calculate various data.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/11/2003 5:25:50 PM
Thanks, J.E.

I will give that t try right away.

Steve

"J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> One way:
>
>    Worksheets("AQSD90_5").Copy
>
> will copy the sheet to a new workbook, and activate that workbook.
> So you can use:
>
>     Worksheets("AQSD90_5").Copy
>     With ActiveWorkbook
>         'do your calculations here
>         .SaveAs "New Filename"
>         .Close SaveChanges:=False
>      End With
>

> In article <u3rNn88RDHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
>  "Steve McBride" <stevemcb@nospam_bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > Excel 2002.
> >
> > From within a Macro, is it possible to locate and copy an entire
spreadsheet
> > based on the worksheet name only?  When I try to record the macro, I
can't
> > get around it specifying the workbook name.  Asking the user to specify
the
> > workbook name (to populate a variable) is just asking for trouble.
> >
> > The data I want to retrieve is dumped from a host system into an Excel
file.
> > The name of the workbook will vary, but the worksheet name will always
be
> > the name of the host system query ("AQSD90_S").
> >
> > I would like to create a macro that finds the worksheet and copies the
data
> > into it's own worksheet and then proceeds to calculate various data.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

0
stevemcb (16)

Name Box Information
Is it possible for me to input the worksheet names that I have into the Name Box next to the formula bar, such that it creats a pull down menu that will allow me to move between the worksheets instead of scrolling around the bottom? There is already a menu. If you right-click on the arrows to the left of the sheet tabs, you will see the menu of sheet names. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ohpspe" <brenthecker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:52249BAB-B609-4BDB-9DCE-25E690BF12D8@microsoft.com... > Is it possible for me to inp...

Can't See External To: Names
Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise, Outlook Web Access 2003 From time to time a user of mine sends emails to external users plus himself. The problem is only his name shows in the TO: list. The external user names do not display. In the latest case, he was replying to an email received from an external sender. Everything looks fine in the tracking log for his sent email, all recipient names are listed. Needless to say he is not happy with this situation. Has anyone had this problem who can help me understand what's going on? Why are the external addresses unavailable for display?...

Autofill Worksheets
Is there a way in Excel 2000 to rename the first two worksheets and then use an autofill type feature to add more worksheets with a series of names? For example, name one worksheet January, the next one February, then insert new worksheets that would be automatically named the consecutive months. Bonnie Hi Bonnie i would probably approach it this way, choose tools / options / general change "sheets in a new workbook" to 12 open a new workbook - it will have 12 sheets go back into tools / options / general and set the sheeets back to 3 then run the following code ---- Sub n...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Renaming Exchange 2003 Server computer name
Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without having to reinstall? Thanks for your help jericom@gmail.com (Jerico Max) wrote in news:bdd87ac0.0409221151.125dfb99 @posting.google.com: > Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without > having to reinstall? This can get ugly. Proceed with caution. I'd recommend building a new server and moving mailboxes to it. You could use temporary hardware and rebuild your current server with your required name. Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: htt...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Convert from network name to ip address
I have a function that reads a file but fails if I pass it a network device name instead of an ip address eg:- ReadFunction("\\NAS\Myfolder\Myfile.txt") <--- Fails ReadFunction("\\192.168.2.2\Myfolder\Myfile.txt") <--- Works So how do I convert a network devices name to it's ip address? ie. Convert \\NAS\ to \\192.168.2.2\ Thanks Robert Am 31.05.2010 14:56, schrieb Roidy: > I have a function that reads a file but fails if I pass it a network device > name instead of an ip address eg:- > > ReadFunction("\\NAS\Myfold...

Entourage able to open pictures in preview again
I have no idea what I just did to make it work again. -- Are there errors in the Bible? Do Animals go to Heaven? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is the KJV the only translation to be used? If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info/ ...

Finding an event

Open all Excel spreadsheets/fles before running queries
I have a number of spreadsheets which use Ms Query to retrieve data from an Oracle database. I have set it up so that queries run automatically when I open a spreadsheet. In Excel 2003, if I open several such spreadsheets at the same time, Excel will open all spreadsheets first and then run the queries. This means that I can open all the spreadsheets I want to update, get immediate notification if any one of them is in use by someone else, open as read-only if so, and then go off and do something else while all queries update (15-20 minutes in some cases). In Excel 2007 wh...

is there a comand to return the mane of a worksheet inside a cell
Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi Fabian Try this, =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename"))-FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1) This one will give you the full path: =CELL("filename") HTH John "Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140C847D-2C3A-49F6-9C60-9515B426AD5E@microsoft.com... > Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi, =MID(CELL("filename...

Looking for a basic "duplicate file name finder" app.
Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like? I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and searched, I got 800 hits. When I tried the "most popular" according to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted to "clean up my system". Thanks. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...

Opening a form with cursor in a control filed
I have a form with a subform as reference. I only do data entry in 3 fields. I have set the tab control for field 1, 2 and 3, but when I click on add new record the cursor goes to the subform and and cannot tab out to the first field of the main form. I would like to set this up that on got focus the cursor is on the selected field and then tabs or move on enter to the next selected field in the tab order. The tab order in the main for is resetting to zero. Thanks Quinto -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200801/1 ...

Array to named range conversion...
The intention of my macro is to put all the wb's sheet names into named range as per the code below. Then, use the named range as th list in a "data validation" cell, which will use the named range as th list. I've successfully been able to convert the array into a range, althoug i can only populate the range horizontally (columns x 1 row). if i tr to populate a vertical range, i get all the same value (the value o index 1). I get similar results with the named range. And when I try t use it in data validation, I get an error. My workaround is to use the code to put the v...

stop multiple worksheets opening
I've "inheirted" a workbook that when opened, all worksheet automatically open in new windows. The person that created the workbook doesn't know how he did it, and haven't been able to find out how to turn it off. Any suggestions? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Press the X at the upper right for all but one of the windows, then save the workbook and close it. The next time you open it, no other windows should open. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "cwtex >" <<cwtex.17nbr3@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:cwtex....

How do I build a Macro that can identify wooksheet names
I am building a macro within excel, I have to switch between a number of worksheets within a workbook. I need the same macro to run in a number of similar workbooks; however some workbooks do not contain all the worksheets. How can I use a formula to ignore the commands relating to the missing worksheets? Thank you for your help Peter Davenport Peter, Try this: Sub MainLoop Dim vSheets as Variant Dim vSheet as Variant vSheets = Array("A","B","C") For Each vSheet in vSheets If SheetExists(vSheet) Then 'do something End If Next vSh...

cannot find database

How to make "This workbook contains links to other data sources" appear?
Hello How to make "Microsoft Excel This workbook contains links to other data sources To update all linked information, click Yes. To keep the existing information, click No." pop up or appear on the Task bar after clicking "Open Link" in "Linked Worksheet Object" in a context menu of a linked object in Word 2003 sp2? The window appear only after clicking an Excel button in the Task bar. ...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find