Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location

Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column -
say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the
cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known?  And also is
there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the
row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the
row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one?
0
mellowe (3)

You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know
either the row or the column.

I think you'll need VBA to do what you want however.

"mellowe" <mellowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular
> column -
> say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when
> the
> cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known?  And also
> is
> there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the
> row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete
> the
> row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this
> one?

0
reply6075 (299)
11/20/2005 7:39:12 PM
You have replies at your thread in .excel.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Trusted locations for 2007 Access
I am going to purchase a new PC and order Office Professional 2007 with it. I now use Office 2003 and have many data bases. It is my understanding that I will have to locate my data bases in a "Trusted Location" to use them with Access 2007. All my data bases are now located in "My Documents" along with a lot of other files. My first question is will I have to move my data bases individually or is there some way I can move or make them all "Trusted" at one time? Not being familiar with "Trusted FIles", my second question is there some ...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

vlookup on cell below
Is it possible to do a VLOOKUP but instead of returning the value in row that contains the lookup, it returns the value in the row below? eg a b 1 no x 2 yes y 3 ok z =VLOOKUP("yes",A1:B3,2,FALSE) would return "z" instead of "y". Th only way I can think of is to add a row header at the top and use the MATCH function in column A to find the row position of "yes", then use that in an HLOOKUP in column B. I was hoping there was a simpler way. Not VLOOKUP, but INDEX & MATCH =INDEX(B1:B3,MATCH("yes",A1:A3,0)) -...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Let's pick a replacement for this (Access) newsgroup 2
There were two big threads on the original 6/1/10 post in the General Questions and New User sections. The gist of the original post was: Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup for when poor-listener Microsoft drops it. Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully replace this one? If interested, please respond to this with your recommendation. Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with your email address at North9000 at gmail dot com and I'll try to collect / send out...

Find (but not find)

Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change
Good morning, I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a neighboring page. Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of the old data. When I do this the report's left most column field names all change from FieldName to FieldName2. When I look in the drop down box for that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data. I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2 to FieldName"space""space". I can't change to just FieldName because that is already in use. M...

Return "cell reference"
Hi. How to do the following: 1) Return the cell reference of the cell eg: Type this formula in cell A1: =return_cell_reference_of_that_cell() {The above is a fictitious formula only} The answer will be A1. Preferably, it is great for me to decide on how the reference is displayed, eg: - absolute (ie $A$1) or - column-absolute (ie $A1) or - row-absolute (ie A$1) - relative (ie A1) 2) Return cell reference(s) of the target eg: Type this formula in cell B1: =return_cell_reference(target_cell) {The above is a fictitious formula only} eg: =return_cell_reference(A3) Answer: A3 =return_cell_refe...

Host unknown error
Have exchange 5.5 with sp4 OS win2000 sp4 some of the domain mails are bounced with NDR "host unknown" and some time the same domain mails are able to sent . Kindly solution Sounds like a problem with DNS. "nainar" <nainar@ctd.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:837701c4853c$c3cfe450$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Have exchange 5.5 with sp4 > OS win2000 sp4 > some of the domain mails are bounced with NDR "host > unknown" > and some time the same domain mails are able to sent . > Kindly solution ...

is there a comand to return the mane of a worksheet inside a cell
Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi Fabian Try this, =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename"))-FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1) This one will give you the full path: =CELL("filename") HTH John "Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140C847D-2C3A-49F6-9C60-9515B426AD5E@microsoft.com... > Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi, =MID(CELL("filename...

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

cannot find database

Subform comparison of 2 tables excluding non zero value
I am creating a subform (at least that is what I am assuming would be best choice)(Access 2003/NT) in which the user will type in a Melt# (contained in the tblChemicalResults). I need to create a side by side comparison of the chemical requirements from the tblChemicalRequirements to the actual results contained in the tblChemicalResults, but I need it to exclude any non zero values from both tables. Each table contains all of the possible 14 different metal elements that could possibly go into making a particular part. Obviously, not all 14 go into every part, so how do I display only ...

Linking contents of multiple cells to an external object
Hope I'm posting to the right forum. If not could someone please tell me where the appropriate place is. I've coded in Excel a register for a small college that allows the user to enter whether a student attended a particular subject. Each worksheet shows the whole class for a month, with students as rows & dates as columns & the subject appears in the cell. Totals appear on a seperate sheet. Where a student is absent there are a few alternative codes & on a seperate line room for a short comment. What is required is to automatically pull out the abscences on a separa...

WinFax replacement
I wrote an Access app years ago for a client and it uses WinFax pro to send out invoices. They need to upgrade but WinFax is gone thanks to the wisdom (LOL) of Symantec. Does anyone know of a good replacement that can be referenced from vba and will allow us to send out Access reports? Thanks, Keith I'm moving this to the microsoft.public.access newsgroup. There's not enough activity here for this to get any attention. If you see this here and have an answer, please answer it there. Thanks. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in messag...

change default locations for outlook 2000
Hi I am trying to change the default locations for my Outlook. The problem is I have 2 separate logins through windows 98 and have email accounts configured correctly and I get all the mail from both senders sent to the same location. Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated. Andrew ...

Can I place visible text in cell that won't print
Is it possible for me to place text in some cells where I can see the text but that will not print when my sheet is printed. I am aware of the comment feature that becomes visible when the mouse hovers over the small red symbol. I would like to be able to see what is in the cell without having to hover the mouse over each cell to see a comment. Is this possible? Thank you for any direction here. Jerry There are a few possible solutions. One is to use the comment as you noted, but you can have them always display even without the mouse hovering over it by using Tools/Options/View and se...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find