Find lowest 5 values in a list of 10 - 150 lists involved

I am trying to find an easy way to determine the lowest 5 values in a list of 10 and add those values together.  There are 150 lists involved in which the determination is to be made.  I will then compare the sums of the 150 lists and determine the lowest 10 sums.  What is the easiest way to do this using Excel?

0
JoeB366 (18)

one way:

    =SUM(SMALL(A1:A10,{1,2,3,4,5}))

In article <8E563BD5-43FB-4BC7-A26B-012EFB864034@microsoft.com>,
 "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am trying to find an easy way to determine the lowest 5 values in a list of
> 10 and add those values together.  There are 150 lists involved in which the
> determination is to be made.  I will then compare the sums of the 150 lists
> and determine the lowest 10 sums.  What is the easiest way to do this using
> Excel?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/3/2004 10:51:46 PM
Hi
use SMALL
for this

if you want to sum the smalles 5 values try the formula
=SUM(SMALL(A1:A100,{1,2,3,4,5}))

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

JoeB wrote:
> I am trying to find an easy way to determine the lowest 5 values in a
> list of 10 and add those values together.  There are 150 lists
> involved in which the determination is to be made.  I will then
> compare the sums of the 150 lists and determine the lowest 10 sums.
> What is the easiest way to do this using Excel?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/3/2004 10:56:02 PM
Hi,

Try the following formula(array formula) for non-zero values:

   =SUM(SMALL(IF(A1:A150<>0,A1:A150,""),{1,2,3,4,5}))

--
Regards,
Soo Cheon Jheong

"JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to find an easy way to determine the lowest 5 values in a list
of 10 and add those values together.  There are 150 lists involved in which
the determination is to be made.  I will then compare the sums of the 150
lists and determine the lowest 10 sums.  What is the easiest way to do this
using Excel?

0
exceler (34)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Will Excel 2004 run on SnowLeopard OS X 10.6?
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm a SW developer who uses a lot of VBA for Excel programing, for automaation and macros. Besides that, my customers use the spreadsheets I develop in Office for PC's. I know Office 2008 has no VBA for Excel, but I really need it. Can I install Office 2004 in my computer and will it run under Snow Leopard, so that I can keep on using VBA with Excel? Yes -- But do a fresh install. Don't try to 'migrate' Office from an earlier version of the OS if you're upgrading to 10.6 & you will have to use t...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

List Validation
I was wondering if there was anyway you can have a drop down list in one workbook that comes from a different workbook. Example: I have a workbook saved with a list of names and I want to have that list of names come up in a form that I have saved in another workbook. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html note that the other workbook needs to be open -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Renee" <...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

cannot find database

Limits in 'All Address Lists'?
Hi all! I try to rebuild a large number (~2000) of Ex5.5 recipient-containers in the E2k3 'all address lists' container. The LDAP filter for each address list is set on to the EX5.5 attribute 'obj-view-containers' (transferred to 'extension-Attribute-14' by ADC). I recognized that the AD-user attribute 'ShowInAddressBook' is a multi-valued field, with a limitation of around 800 entries (RUS won't work with more entries). This doesn't matter, because a recipient belongs only to 1 address list in most cases. Meanwhile I created about 1200 address lists...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://dailyupdatesonly.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

save as #5
Where is "save as" option in Excel 2007? I have a spreadsheet on USB drive and would like to save it to my hard drive. Mark click on the round logo of the Office in the upper-left corner of the Excel window -- KL [MVP - Microsoft Excel] RU: http://www.mvps.ru/Program/Default.aspx ES: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/?LN=es-es EN: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AB32F8EE-8ED3-4AB9-ADDA-9E6C73C09A36 "Mark" <dxt44@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uRDm2CaXHHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Where is ...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Inventory Valuation 7.5
Is there a crystal report that anyone has that calculates stock value / status using true layer costs and not a blended cost for version 7.5???? Thanks Ray ...

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?
When I look into the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? Cindy Cindy Parker wrote: > When I look into the folder: > > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent > > then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. > > How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? > > Cindy > Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize ...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Help removing 5.5 server after migration
I have migrated from an Exchange 5.5 environment to a Exchange 2003. I have moved all the mailboxes, public and system folders, also removed all the connectors and am able to shut off the 5.5 server and still have all Exchange tasks work. So, I'm now ready to remove the 5.5 server from my administrative group. All the guides say to connect to the SRS server using Exchange 5.5 administrator and delete the 5.5 server from the administrative group. However, when I try to connect to the SRS server, I get an error message: Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange...

using new List<String>();
Hello, I wonder do I create a memory leak by using private void myFunc() { List<String> joblist = new List<string>(); // ... add a alot of string into the joblist } and then call myFunc "repeatedly" from the main program It feels like I should return the memory somehow, but how? // Anders -- English is not my first language so any error, insults or strangeness has happend during the translation. Please correct my English so that I may become better at it! On 5/26/2010 11:02, Anders Eriksson wrote: > Hello, > > I wonder do I crea...