Find first non-blank or non-zero in a column of data

I have my data in, say row A - specifically A1:A50 - and want my calculation
to look from the bottom of A50 to the top of the row (A1) and return the
first non-blank OR the first non-zero within that data.

What is the best way to do this?

E.g.
A1 = 4
A2 = 3
A3 = 0
A4 = blank cell
A5 = blank cell

Answer would be 3 as it looks from the bottom.

Many thanks,

Jim

0
DerbyJim (2)

Jim,

If it is just numbers, use

 =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E307,A:A))

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"DerbyJim" <DerbyJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have my data in, say row A - specifically A1:A50 - and want my
calculation
> to look from the bottom of A50 to the top of the row (A1) and return the
> first non-blank OR the first non-zero within that data.
>
> What is the best way to do this?
>
> E.g.
> A1 = 4
> A2 = 3
> A3 = 0
> A4 = blank cell
> A5 = blank cell
>
> Answer would be 3 as it looks from the bottom.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jim

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/16/2006 11:19:37 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply... how would I alter the calc to discount zeros if my
info contained them.

i.e. if I had a zero near the end of the column, I would not want it to
return that.

Thanks again,

Jim

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> If it is just numbers, use
>
>  =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E307,A:A))
>
> --
>  HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "DerbyJim" <DerbyJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have my data in, say row A - specifically A1:A50 - and want my
> calculation
> > to look from the bottom of A50 to the top of the row (A1) and return the
> > first non-blank OR the first non-zero within that data.
> >
> > What is the best way to do this?
> >
> > E.g.
> > A1 = 4
> > A2 = 3
> > A3 = 0
> > A4 = blank cell
> > A5 = blank cell
> >
> > Answer would be 3 as it looks from the bottom.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Jim

0
DerbyJim (2)
1/16/2006 11:41:02 AM
=INDEX(A:A,MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A65535)*(A1:A65535<>0),ROW(A1:A65535))))

This is an array formula Jim, unlike the previous, so you need to commit it
with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--

> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for the reply... how would I alter the calc to discount zeros if my
> info contained them.
>
> i.e. if I had a zero near the end of the column, I would not want it to
> return that.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jim
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Jim,
> >
> > If it is just numbers, use
> >
> >  =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E307,A:A))
> >
> > --
> >  HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct)
> >
> > "DerbyJim" <DerbyJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have my data in, say row A - specifically A1:A50 - and want my
> > calculation
> > > to look from the bottom of A50 to the top of the row (A1) and return
the
> > > first non-blank OR the first non-zero within that data.
> > >
> > > What is the best way to do this?
> > >
> > > E.g.
> > > A1 = 4
> > > A2 = 3
> > > A3 = 0
> > > A4 = blank cell
> > > A5 = blank cell
> > >
> > > Answer would be 3 as it looks from the bottom.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Jim

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

A code to import other xls data into one xls file
Hi there. Can anyone help me in creating a VB code in excel Module that imports data like file name;direct cost; and year from several xls spreadsheets [reports_1, reports_2, ...] (from different sheets and cells) into one spreadsheet [summary] into the following columns accordingly: (column 1 [file name]: file name; column 2 [direct cost]: dollar amounts, column 3 [year]: year)? i already have the code that pulls file names from the folder directory and pastes the data into column 1 [file name]. may be it will be easier to have the code refer to that column 1. Please note that t...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Issue retriving data from mssql 2005
Different queries accessing a storedprocedure sometimes hang until they are timedout. Calling the stored procedure mannually (Management Studio)(from the client computer that also executes the program) returns 1090 rows in one sec. EXEC spa08v1GetTransactions NULL ,'20091006','20091006' Executing the stored procedure from a simple app, just counting the rows gives me a timeout at 956 rows. This runs nicely against my test enviroment. SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(); cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection("Server=MyServer;Database=MyDatabase...

How do you add additional columns?
I would like to add additional columns to my Windows Media Player so I can better classify the music. How do you add additional columns? Dan wrote: > How do you add additional columns? Start by right clicking (or left, if you're left-handed) on any existing header (not the blank space where you might want it to go — that's *my* mistake) -- Steve Swift http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html http://www.ringers.org.uk ...

Fix the order of the last name and first name
How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and the first name is second, separated by a comma. Hi! What order do you want them in? Biff >-----Original Message----- >How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and the >first name is second, separated by a comma. >. > Hi try =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,255)) & " " & TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Zami wrote: > How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and > the first na...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Non printing of check boxes in a Report
I have come back to using Access and although I have managed it before I cannot get Check Boxes to print in a Report. They are visible on screen but when I want to print the Reports the space where the check boxes should be whether 'a tick' or 'blank' is empty. Try changing the font. It may be something your printer doesn't have the font for, while substituting another similar font for other characters. "Jenny" <Jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71D46938-AA7C-4C43-8284-B763FD955FAB@microsoft.com... >I have come back to using ...

Find (but not find)

Returning only non zero effect groups
Here is a sample list (mine are much larger w/many more fields) Name Amount Date bob 100 04-05-05 bob -50 05-04-05 bob -25 05-05-05 sarah 200 04-03-05 sarah -200 04-06-05 dave 300 04-02-05 dave -150 04-27-05 dave -150 05-18-05 I only care about the values for the groups(name would be group in this case) in which th...

Access Xcel data transfer
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer an exel file with multiple sheets into Access with having each sheet go into a table in access automatically using macros or whatever. Is this possible? ...

Linking data from .CSV to Excel
Hello! I'm completely stuck. I have an excel spreadsheet that uses data fro a .CSV file. This data (all numbers) is linked to a sheet in th workbook. The problem is this: in order for the data to be updated, it is necessary to open up th .csv file whilst the workbook is open. This is a terrible hassle. have tried making a macro that opens the .csv file and then closes i again, but that doesn't appear to update the linked data fields. Th Edit/Links/...update links function won't work, since Excel say "External Copy: file format is not valid". Does anyone have any...

Table Row Height and Column Width
Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher 2003? For instance, I want all the rows to be .25 inches high or 16 points high -- can I set this? No... You could create ruler guides. Right-click a ruler guide, click format ruler guides. You then can adjust your table rows by snapping to the guides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Lori T" <Lori T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2631297F-839A-4699-B4F6-45601B771E1A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher > 2003...

Finding an event

Ignoring blanks
How do I instruct a formula to ignore blanks? If a cell is blank, then ignore, if not, execute the formula. Thanks. -- exsam21 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ exsam21's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22666 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502526 =if(a1="","",[your formula] -- Gary Brow ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1...

cannot find database

How to make "This workbook contains links to other data sources" appear?
Hello How to make "Microsoft Excel This workbook contains links to other data sources To update all linked information, click Yes. To keep the existing information, click No." pop up or appear on the Task bar after clicking "Open Link" in "Linked Worksheet Object" in a context menu of a linked object in Word 2003 sp2? The window appear only after clicking an Excel button in the Task bar. ...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

How do I find the out of office reply?