Find a time value in one column based on names in another

Hi -

I have a list of names.  (40 Different names that may occur 30 - 40 times a
piece in column B).  In Column C I have a list of times that each person made
an entry.  Is there a formula that will give me the earliest time that
appears in column C for each person on the list in column B?  I already have
a list of all of the unique names that will appear in column B that I can use
as a reference.

Example:

col A   col B     col C
          smith     6:00am
          jones     5:03pm
          smith     7:05am
          jones     4:02pm
          adams    2:05pm
          adams    2:33pm

RESULT I WANT

adams   2:05pm
jones     4:02pm
smith     6:00am

--
Robert
0

=MIN(IF(B2:B200="smith",C2:C200))

as an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have a list of names.  (40 Different names that may occur 30 - 40 times
> piece in column B).  In Column C I have a list of times that each person
made
> an entry.  Is there a formula that will give me the earliest time that
> appears in column C for each person on the list in column B?  I already
have
> a list of all of the unique names that will appear in column B that I can
use
> as a reference.
>
> Example:
>
> col A   col B     col C
>           smith     6:00am
>           jones     5:03pm
>           smith     7:05am
>           jones     4:02pm
>           adams    2:05pm
>           adams    2:33pm
>
> RESULT I WANT
>
> adams   2:05pm
> jones     4:02pm
> smith     6:00am
>

> --
> Robert

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Find Duplicate names and delate

A code to import other xls data into one xls file
Hi there. Can anyone help me in creating a VB code in excel Module that imports data like file name;direct cost; and year from several xls spreadsheets [reports_1, reports_2, ...] (from different sheets and cells) into one spreadsheet [summary] into the following columns accordingly: (column 1 [file name]: file name; column 2 [direct cost]: dollar amounts, column 3 [year]: year)? i already have the code that pulls file names from the folder directory and pastes the data into column 1 [file name]. may be it will be easier to have the code refer to that column 1. Please note that t...

Renaming Exchange 2003 Server computer name
Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without having to reinstall? Thanks for your help jericom@gmail.com (Jerico Max) wrote in news:bdd87ac0.0409221151.125dfb99 @posting.google.com: > Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without > having to reinstall? This can get ugly. Proceed with caution. I'd recommend building a new server and moving mailboxes to it. You could use temporary hardware and rebuild your current server with your required name. Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: htt...

run-time error 2147467259 (80004005)
i have a store that is getting the run time error above only when they have a transaction involving the members of one matrix, and then they are kicked out of the system. if they try to sell one of these items, transfer it to another store, receive it, etc, it will kill the program and give this error. the rest of the information given in the error is "could not find the index entry for RID '1600002bd2765100' in index page (1:42599), index ID 8, database GFANC03. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this problem and possible solutions? We are using version 1.2, sin...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

OK, a really tricky one now for Excel gurus!
A perfect response before, this time a little trickier! I have two data sources: Data A) a column of approx. 3000 cells featuring the 'Post Code' only from a database of addresses. Data B) The Australian postcode database as found and downloaded from the below link: http://www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes/index.asp?sub=2 What I want to happen is each postcode from source 'A' to match up with the corresponding post code from source 'B' (this is in column A). Once it matches, the 'Delivery Office' (column E) is to appear in column B of Data Source Sheet A......

Looking for a basic "duplicate file name finder" app.
Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like? I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and searched, I got 800 hits. When I tried the "most popular" according to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted to "clean up my system". Thanks. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...

Table Row Height and Column Width
Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher 2003? For instance, I want all the rows to be .25 inches high or 16 points high -- can I set this? No... You could create ruler guides. Right-click a ruler guide, click format ruler guides. You then can adjust your table rows by snapping to the guides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Lori T" <Lori T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2631297F-839A-4699-B4F6-45601B771E1A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher > 2003...

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

How do I print 4 different postcards on one sheet in Publisher
Our company sends postcards to customers everytime their properties are advertised in the newspaper. There is usually 8 different properties advertised a day. The templet is the same everytime as far as the design of the card. What is different is the description on each and the picture. Currently we are having to print 4 of each card, each day. This works fine as long as there is not a change in the wording of the ad the next time it is ran or a price change. This is getting to be confusing, wasteful and causing mistakes. I have tried to read about mail merge but this doesn't...

cannot find database

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Time format in Excel 97
I'm having problems using time in Excel. I've tried various cell formats but get similiar results. When entering a time in a cell such as :57, Excel seems to see it as a time and works fine, once I get over a minute and enter something like 1:03, Excel sees that cell as 1:03:00 AM, which I definitely don't want it to do. Any suggestions would be great. thanks. Hi, First format the cells as h:mm:ss. When entering time you must enter it according to the format. For example 1 minute and 3 seconds must be entered as 00:01:03 it you do not enter the leading 00 excel will eval...

unique value
Hi, I need to add a custom field, but I need this field to be unique (something similar to a primary key) bud I do not know how to do that. Thanks a lot. An example might be a Case number. You would add the field then add code to add one to the largest value found in the database. This will require code to implement ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AA3E00-686E-4B58-B8C4-52B83CB1E538@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to add a custom field, bu...