financial excel formula

Trying to use excel to determine the % return on a stock from the tim
you purchase until you sell, adjusted for time.  ie., key in Pv o
money today; input Fv or (the selling price); enter the amount of tim
expressed in months or years (N); calc the rate of return %?  p
$50.00
FV $74.00
N   3 years
% return =???  using a texas instruments ba-35 calculator th
answer is 13.96%.  Can't get this out of excel, any suggestions

=RATE(3;0;-50;74)

The financial function follow the rule that incoming and outgoing money are
different in sign.  Hence -50 and +74

--
Regards,
Auk  Ales

* Please reply to this newsgroup only *
* I will not react on unsolicited e-mails *

"dcampbell@ps-av >" <<dcampbellps-av.1169o4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:dcampbellps-av.1169o4@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Trying to use excel to determine the % return on a stock from the time
> you purchase until you sell, adjusted for time.  ie., key in Pv of
> money today; input Fv or (the selling price); enter the amount of time
> expressed in months or years (N); calc the rate of return %?  pv
> $50.00
> FV $74.00
> N   3 years
> % return =???  using a texas instruments ba-35 calculator the
> answer is 13.96%.  Can't get this out of excel, any suggestions?
>

> ---

Hi D Campbell!

Try:

=RATE(3,0,-50,74,0,0)
Returns: 13.9603843061013%

I don't think that the approach of the RATE or other financial
functions is significantly different from a disciplined approach to
the use of the financial keys PV, FV, n, i, and PMT of the BA35. My
first financial calculator was the BA55.

Or since the formula is capable of being expressed for RATE where no
payments are involved:

=(74/50)^(1/3)-1
Returns: 13.9603843061013%

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"dcampbell@ps-av >" <<dcampbellps-av.1169o4@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message news:dcampbellps-av.1169o4@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Trying to use excel to determine the % return on a stock from the
time
> you purchase until you sell, adjusted for time.  ie., key in Pv of
> money today; input Fv or (the selling price); enter the amount of
time
> expressed in months or years (N); calc the rate of return %?  pv
> $50.00
> FV $74.00
> N   3 years
> % return =???  using a texas instruments ba-35 calculator the
> answer is 13.96%.  Can't get this out of excel, any suggestions?
>

> ---

njharker (1646)

"IF Statements in Microsoft Excel
What do you do if you have a formula you need to enter that is more than 9 "IF" statements!!!! It won't allow more than 9 "IF statements in Excel and it is so frustrating!! http://www.cpearson.com/excel/nested.htm But why not post your problem description so we can help you with something more manageable then a 9-IF formula? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C68F7EF-6825-44E6-BA78-2BD0C840EE3C@microsoft.com... > What do you do if you have a formula you need to enter that is more than 9 ...

Financial Objects
Hi Is there such a thing as Financial Shapes, available in Visio 2003? Kind Regards Ricky There are some new workflow shapes in Visio 2007 that deal with AR, AP, cash, banking, approvals etc. The beta for Visio 2007 is available if you want to see what the shapes are like. What sort of shapes are you looking for? John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm Visio Wishlist http://www.mvps.org/visio/wish_list.htm &q...

Problem when input Chinese in Excel 2003
Hi all, I recently encountered problem to input Chinese character in Excel 2003, when I switch to one of my Chinese input method, say Chinese Traditional (Quick). It can listed out the Chinese characters for me to choose, however, when I choose anyone of them. The Chinese font didn't show up in the cell. So I have already tried to use the same method in Word 2003, PowerPoint 2003, Wordpad, notepad.....there is no such problem. I'm currently using Windows XP w/ SP2 (English) and Office 2003 w/ SP2 (English). Looking forward to hearing from you soon, thank you very much. ...

How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file?
How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to combine all data into one file under word. Hi the easiest way would be copy and paste? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel to Word transfer" <Excel to Word transfer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:78E2302D-3EC5-4B69-8DEF-524411297288@microsoft.com... > How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to > combine all data into one file under word. ...

Excel If Statements
I am trying to create a conditional statement with 17 IFs. I started needing to do 11 Ifs. I got over the Excel limit of 7 by identifying a cell in the last element of the first string of 4 IFs in which there was a further string with 7 IFs. However I now need to expand this to 17 IFs. I tried the same technique of creating a third string with 6 more IFs and identifying this in the last condition of the second string. It didn't work. Any ideas. Look here: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip080.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Peter" <P...

Excel 2007
I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 version and I am having problems with Excel. I am unable to copy a sheet with a chart in it. Below is the procedure: 1. Create new book 2. right-click sheet 1 tab 3. Insert , then insert a chart 4. right-click chart 1 tab 5. choose move or copy... 6. copy chart 1 to the end of this work book. I cannot create a copy of the chart. Is this considered a bug in Excel 2007? If it is, do you know any links to sites that I may use as references? Thank you! Lots of bugs in Beta 2 especially with charts, I'm told If its any consolation, I cannot copy a chart ...

Bookmarking Excel Files from within Excel
I have a bunch of files that I frequently need to open from within Excel. Is there a way to "bookmark" these files say by putting an icon for each file on the Excel toolbar? Seems like a very common need so I am hoping there is a solution. Hitting file, open, navigating to folders, etc gets a little tedious when you use the same file several times a day. The file drop down menu shows the last "n" files used, but because I open many files everyday sometimes the frequently used files do not appear in this list. Thanks Add them to the favorites so they are accessed...

I need help figuring out this formula in Excel
I am taking a class & need help with this question. If you enter 5B21C2 in cell B1 of a worksheet (keep in mind it's a make believe worksheet), the formula is replaced by the number 125 when you press enter. What happened? Second part is using the worksheet from above, you change the number in cell B2 from 55 to 65. What happens to the number in the cell B1? Why? I can't find anywhere in the book how to (+,-* or /) or any other math direction involving a formula like above. Due to that I have no idea how to answer either one of these questions. Please Help! -- thank...

excel problem
Hi - when validating a cell to a list box how do I set the list box so that when inputting the first or first few letters the list it automatically goes to the items in the list beginning with these or this letter??? At the moment I've got a list of around 100 items and having to scroll all the way through is a nightmare Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi this is not possible with this type of listbox. So no solution for it >-----Original Message----- >Hi - when validating a cell to a list box how do I set the list box so >that when inputting the first or fir...

excel 2002
Some time ago, I developed an excel 2002 workbook for someone I knew. Now, the people using it are converting from XP to Win7, and they tell me the .xls doesn't work. Specifically, it has a commandbutton that runs some VBA code, which (button) doesn't respond (at all) when they click on it. They can enter values in cells, etc. I'm going to go there and look things over. But, meantime, if there's an "Oh, yeah, all you've gotta do is ...", please feel free to share. Thanks, George You're talking about an Office application not Windows, just beca...

Stop Excel from clearing clipboard?
How can I stop Excel from clearing the clipboard after I hit return? When I copy a cell I can paste it in another cell, and then when I want to do something else, like writing a formula somewher else or what ever, I have to hit return. Then the clipboard gets erased. So, if I want to paste again the clipboard is empty. I'm using excel 2002. Le 05/11/2010 13:25, jjj a �crit : > How can I stop Excel from clearing the clipboard after I hit return? > > When I copy a cell I can paste it in another cell, and then when I > want to do something else, like writing a formula somewher ...

convert pocket excel back to standard excel
I can not open an pocket excel file in excel, I created it in excel then active sync converted it to pocket excel when I loaded it to my dell pda...I lost the orignal file and need to convert it back to standard excel (office 2000) on my desktop, but excel says it cant open the file, I checked the properties and it is a pocket excel workbook and says opens with unknown application. is there an add in to read pocket excel files ...

Excel with macros to html covnersion
I have an excel sheet with command buttons. If i try to save this excel as a html file, the command buttons with macros does not work. Is there a way that i can convert the excel sheet with macro assigned command buttons to html... ...

How do I create autoincrement field in Excel workbook?
Subj Hi lack of detail :-) - where do you want this autoincrement - when should it increment - etc. >-----Original Message----- >Subj >. > ...

Excel & Email
I was wondering if there was a way to setup an Excel spreadsheet that has a bunch of email addresses in it, to send an email (through Outlook) to everyone in the spreadsheet? (Pushing a button, or running a macro or something?) Thanks! Eric Have a look at Ron's site http://www.rondebruin.nl/ -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Eric Fehlhaber" <efehlhaber@weathershield.com> wrote in message news:1647401c447d1$afd31600$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I was wondering if there was a way to setup an Excel > spreadsheet that has a bunch of email address...

Best way to keep financial data secure in M05?
Thinking of getting M05 - do not have previous versions. I am concerned about financial data being compromised. Are there any tips on how to best keep your data secure if you'd like to use the online update of account feature? Step 1: find a bank that supports direct download rather than one that doesn't and thus requires download via Yodlee. "jshofstra" <jshofstra11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1117975134.899774.87820@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Thinking of getting M05 - do not have previous versions. I am concerned > about financial data being com...

My headers in Excel don't adjust with margin changes.
When changing default margins in Excel, the headers on the page don't adjust. Is it possible to have them follow the page size once my margins are adjusted? AB There is no way. They are stuck at about 3/4" Work-around is to "pad" the headers with spaces. You can move them inwards this way, but not outwards. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:49:04 -0800, "ABMIS" <ABMIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When changing default margins in Excel, the headers on the page don't adjust. > Is it possible to have them follow the page ...

How do I export data from Excel as a series of comma-separated val
I am using Excel 2000. I entered my data in a spreadsheet, and saved it as a CSV file. Now I need to change it to comma-separated values and send it in an e-mail. Here's an example of what I am doing. Swamp Thing 1972 1 FN 1 None None 24.5 Now I need that to be separated by commas instead of cells. Also, it took out my dollar signs and zeros, and I want them back. What do I do? I use Excel 2003 File|Save As , select file type as CSV file. Then open *.csv with text editor not Excel. You example data will look as below: Swamp Thing, 1972, 1, FN, 1, None ,...

How can I alphabetize re-named tabs on Excel?
How can I alphabetize re-named tabs on Excel? hi see this site... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.aspx regards FSt1 "Wil" wrote: > How can I alphabetize re-named tabs on Excel? ...

onerror or catch exception/error on Excel?
Hi, For years, when I have a calculation that could result in error I do something like: =if(iserr(A1/B1),C1, A1/B1) So in case of A1/B1 result in some error, it will show C1 - it is a nice solution for formula error management but there is a little problem: I need to paste twice the formula (in this case "A1/B1" )... one for testing and another for displaying the result - this is not nice for long formulas. Is possible to have some kind of "onerror()" or try() in Excel for example it would be something like this: =onerror(A1/B1, C1) it would be very simple: in case o...

Adding Columns in Excel
This one is tricky: I need to calc subtotals based on various information with a cell or group of cells. This is how it works: Column A has a heading of CIF (customer info). Column E has a heading for APP type (checking, savings, cd, loans, credit reserve). Column I is for a subtotal of deposits (i.e., checking + savings + cd) and Column J is for a subtotal of loans (i.e., loans + credit reserve) If a customer has 7 CIF records and within that they have 5 checking accounts, 2 savings and 1 cd, I need the deposit total for that; and 2 loans and 1 credit reserve, I need the loan total for ...

close multiple Excel workbooks simultaneously
I have a situation where I finish up with several separate workbooks open simultaneously. At the moment, I close them all one by one, manually. Is there a quicker way? Thanks, folks Hi Paul, With the Shift key depressed, select Close All on the File Menu. This option is only available in conjunction with the shift key. --- Regards, Norman "PaulRetired" <PaulRetired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:823C11FA-4FB3-47AD-AAD5-5EEA951490AA@microsoft.com... >I have a situation where I finish up with several separate workbooks open > simultaneously. At ...

I can't read the excel an encrypted excel file
I had to reload Win XP from scratch and also Office 2003. Now I can't read my prior Excel files (which were encrypted by Excel) Is there a way? Thanks in advance Ken Take ...

formula for percentages
Hi and thanks for all the help in the past from everyone!!! I am setting up an attendance sheet with "p" for present "a" for absent what I want for each child is a percentage of the time in class for that month being present there??? There are 31 days in a month (some anyways) so there is my problem, how do I get the percentage because we have saturday & sunday off plus some months are less than 31 days and I think you excel wizards get what I mean hopefully I explained it right???? Thanks Tracy Assuming you only have p's and a's (e.g., weekends and h...

excel image help
hello i need a bit of help programming the following problem in excel the code is as follows <Column ss:AutoFitWidth="0" ss:Width="15"/> <Column ss:AutoFitWidth="0" ss:Width="15"/> <Column ss:AutoFitWidth="0" ss:Width="15"/> <Column ss:Index="256" ss:AutoFitWidth="0" ss:Width="1.5"/> <Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="30" > <Cell ss:MergeAcross="1" ss:StyleID="s40"><image> href="C...