Filters in Excel

I have a very large workbook (55MB) and am using AutoFilters everywhere.
Sometimes they just lock up and I need to undo the filters and reset them.
Sometimes, they crash the application.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
0
ChrisLo (2)

>I have a very large workbook (55MB)
> Any thoughts?

When you have files that large you're asking for problems!

Biff

"Chris Lo" <ChrisLo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a very large workbook (55MB) and am using AutoFilters everywhere.
> Sometimes they just lock up and I need to undo the filters and reset them.
> Sometimes, they crash the application.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

0
biffinpitt (3171)

Changing from Excel 2003 to 2010...?
At work, I shall shortly be upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 as part of a general IT upgrade (albeit with no change in hardware for users). My colleagues and I use a large number of pretty complex, linked, spreadsheets with lots of macros etc. Many of these run from buttons on user created toolbars etc. I'm sure Excel 2010 is an excellent spreadsheet programme and we'll all get used to it in time... However, given the new ribbon UI etc I am a little anxious about whether our existing spreadsheets will still work properly (we can't afford any downtime). Obviously I will do ...

Excel icons
All my alias icons now have the excel icon on top of the alias icon. For example if I have an alias to a ppt presentation I can see the ppt icon underneath the excel icon.. If I try to change the icon by using the apple-I command followed by edit-paste onto the icon it makes no difference (all that happens is that the underneath icon changes) Have fixed permmissions - no difference Any ideas Lorry ...

Word Wrapping in Excel #3
I want excel to adjust the height of the row correctly -- Mandy1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mandy11's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1300 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27632 If you've manually set the row height, choose Format/Row/Autofit to restore the default behavior. If instead you've got cells merged (which IMNSHO you shouldn't, but people do anyway), you'll need to use VBA. See Jim Rech's macro: http://google.com/groups?selm=uGMQV...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Password protection in Excel
Is it possible to password protect several worksheets in one step, or do I need to them all individually? You could use a macro: Public Sub ProtectAll() Const PWORD As String = "drowssap" Dim wsSheet As Worksheet For Each wsSheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets wsSheet.Protect PWORD Next wsSheet End Sub In article <2889E9F7-5994-434E-BCF2-8304E2FEB4EB@microsoft.com>, "calmo" <calmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to password protect several worksheets in one step, or do I > need to them all individual...

Excel Date Format
I am creating an Excel spreadsheet that goes into next year. I have set the date format as: Mar-04. Every time I enter 05, it automatically changes to 04. However, if I enter only the first two letters of the month (Ma-05), it takes it. This occurs even when I continue to increase the margin. Can anyone help me, please? Thanks, Julie On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:58:50 -0700, "Julie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating an Excel spreadsheet that goes into next >year. I have set the date format as: Mar-04. Every time >I enter 05, it ...

Unable to open Mac Excel 98 in Mac Excel 2004
I created an Mac Excel 98 worksbook in Mac OS 9 with macros and userforms. When I tried to open it in Mac Excel 2004 in Mac OS X 10.3.7, I get the message the the file cannot be found "Fichier introuvable". Thanks for your help. How are you trying to open the file? Double click? File/Open? In article <5DA55071-2750-4A9F-8923-16DC520B652F@microsoft.com>, "Jean-Yves Fortin" <Jean-Yves Fortin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I created an Mac Excel 98 worksbook in Mac OS 9 with macros and userforms. > When I tried to open it in Mac Excel 2004 in...

Employee Filters

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Pop up menus in Excel
I want to hide or disable the pop up menu that appears everytime i right click a worksheet tab. is this possible? Yes, but you must add VBA to your workbook. Specifically, you need to add the BeforeRightClick event: You can put this into the module of the sheet where you want to disable right-click: Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub Or you can add the following code to the thisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeRightClick(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = T...

Using Excel For Statistics
Hi ! I wanted to know if someone would know if there is a downloadable version of Excel add-ons of Data-Analysis and Data Analysis Plus for Macintosh? lance.fletcher - The "Data Analysis" add-in, usually called "Analysis ToolPak," is provided on the Office/Excel installation disks. It is not available for download. The "Data Analysis Plus" add-in may refer to the add-in on the CD that accompanies statistics textbooks by Gerald Keller (and perhaps textbooks by some other authors). I doubt that it is available for download. Maybe you could contact the auth...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Excel versions #3
I support a worldwide Excel application, and just recently we change our application so it can only run on the English version of Excel. However, we found out from some AP countries, such as Taiwan, that the need the non-English version of Excel for other applications they use. Is there a way you can have both the English and non-English version of Excel installed on the same computer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yes. I use Excel 2000, 2002 and 2003 all in English and 2003 in Swedish. There are some issues at times with help files.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No priva...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

How do I save an Excel file in ASCII?
Mrs Crinkle wrote: Save as *.csv > How do I save an Excel file in ASCII? One way... To save formulas and values, use: Tools >> Options >> View and check "Formulas" Then: File >> Save as and choose CSV as the "Save as type" Many Excel features aren't preserved, but you'll get the basic values and formulas for one worksheet. ...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

Excel 2003 #8
When Excel XP was introduced there were noticable improvements in its performance when running very large spreadsheets. Excel XP is still quite limited, however, in that it will utilize only one processor at a time in a two processor system and it will utilize only 256MB (I think) of a system's physical memory, regardless of how much additional memory is available. It is therefore easy to exhaust the utilized memory resources. Now the question: Has the version of Excel provided with MS Office Professional been improved in the resources that it can utilize. Thanks, Carl H...

an address in a row in excel
I have 6352 mailing addresses in a column, I would like to organize under Company, Adresse 1 Addresses 2, city, state zip phone etc in a row. is there a formular I can use in excel to do this Hi could you post some example data and the expected result -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Betty F" <Betty F@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C9F5F96A-F5AE-456D-8B6E-2D48C0961A31@microsoft.com... > I have 6352 mailing addresses in a column, I would like to organize under > Company, Adresse 1 Addresses 2, city, state zip phone etc in a row. is ...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Need help with printing Excel document
I want to print it out exactly as it looks on the screen. With all the cells and rows visable. Highlight all the cells you wish to see printed out. Then do File > PrintArea > SetPrintArea...........then do File > PrintPreview.......what you see is what will print out, assuming you have the correct print drivers and margins set etc......... If it still don't work, post back with more details. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "jody mullis via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:507040B8C48C0@OfficeKB.com... > I want to print it out exactly a...

excel file copied to cd-r is read only
I copied an excel file to a cd-r data disc, but when loaded into another computer it is read only. I can work with the file here and create new there, do I need a different disc? kzas Hi! When you transfer the file by cd-r to another computer: copy the file from the cd onto the hard drive; inspect the new file (File>Properties > General tab in Excel or us Explorer); Uncheck the Attributes box which says Read only; Resave the file. Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com thanks, I'll give it a try later today and get back kzas "AlfD >" wrote: > ...

How do I stop graphs reading zero in Excel from cells with ""?
Hi. I am making a model in Excel which is takes data updates from an outside source and then processes the information to develop charts on the data. There are a lot of charts so I have developed the model to process the data automatically as the data comes (down the sheet). This processing means that there are formulas in place, waiting for the data to come in. I use a =if(a1="","",<operation>) notation to do it for me. If there is data then the if statement is false and the data can be processed; if the data hasn't arrived yet then instead of getting...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula