Filtering data based on historical values

Hello everyone,

I am trying to sort a list of temperatures to analyze a chillers operation.
The chiller turns on when the outside air temperature is 80, and turns off
when the outside air temperature is 70. I am trying to find the time when
the chiller is on (temperature was above 80 and didn't drop below 70) and the
temperature is between 70 and 75. All I need is excel to display a 1 if it
is on (and between 70-75) or 0 if off, because every 1 is a unit of time.

All the sorts I have tried are unable to look back and see if it was turned
on, because it may have been above 80 twenty cells ago and now is in the mid
70's.

Example of my problem is say I have the following temperatures, the second
column is what the chiller would be doing, and the third column is the
information I would want from the if statement:

78 off 0
74 off 0
75 off 0
82 on 0
80 on 0
74 on 1
75 on 0
69 off 0
75 off 0
81 on 0
74 on 1

You can see the chiller can be on or off at the same temperature value based
on what happened before. Also, the value I want between 70-75 depends on
whether it is on or off. Although I see now I could use
"If(AND(B1="on",A1<75,A1>70),1,0) would populate the C row. I just need help
creating the on/off row. Thanks for any help.

in cell b1 you should manually enter "off"
then in cell b2 enter the formula

=IF(B1="off",IF(A2>=80,"on","off"),IF(A2<70,"off","on"))

And copy/fill that down as you need it.

Regards
  Steve

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to sort a list of temperatures to analyze a chillers
> operation.
> The chiller turns on when the outside air temperature is 80, and turns off
> when the outside air temperature is 70. I am trying to find the time when
> the chiller is on (temperature was above 80 and didn't drop below 70) and
> the
> temperature is between 70 and 75. All I need is excel to display a 1 if it
> is on (and between 70-75) or 0 if off, because every 1 is a unit of time.
>
> All the sorts I have tried are unable to look back and see if it was
> turned
> on, because it may have been above 80 twenty cells ago and now is in the
> mid
> 70's.
>
> Example of my problem is say I have the following temperatures, the second
> column is what the chiller would be doing, and the third column is the
> information I would want from the if statement:
>
> 78 off 0
> 74 off 0
> 75 off 0
> 82 on 0
> 80 on 0
> 74 on 1
> 75 on 0
> 69 off 0
> 75 off 0
> 81 on 0
> 74 on 1
>
> You can see the chiller can be on or off at the same temperature value
> based
> on what happened before. Also, the value I want between 70-75 depends on
> whether it is on or off. Although I see now I could use
> "If(AND(B1="on",A1<75,A1>70),1,0) would populate the C row. I just need
> help
> creating the on/off row. Thanks for any help.

0
steve

SQL 2005 Data Encryption
We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN and Banking Accounts. Has anyone attempted this? Not sure where to start. On Dec 9, 5:18=A0pm, Amanda <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take > advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN an= d > Banking Accounts. > > Has anyone attempted this? =A0Not sure where to start. This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on...

can you update a charts data range automatically in Excel?
In a spreadsheet with multiple charts, is it possible to update the data range and supporting calculations for the charts when you paste new data into the spreadsheet. Calvin If your question is, can you change the data to update the charts, Yes. If not please clarify the question Thanks Vyenktesh "Cal@tech-etch" wrote: > In a spreadsheet with multiple charts, is it possible to update the data > range and supporting calculations for the charts when you paste new data into > the spreadsheet. > > Calvin Calvin - You can set up the charts to use dynamic range...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

Image in Knowledge base
Hi, Is it possible to add an image in an article of the knowledge base? Thanks for your help I don't think this is possible. But, it is pretty easy to drop in a hyperlink to a picture on another server, or a local file, etc. When you publish the article, the hyperlink becomes active and will open another window with the picture. Not that great, but it does work. Good luck! Steve C. "B. Guillout" wrote: > Hi, > Is it possible to add an image in an article of the knowledge base? > Thanks for your help ...

Hyperlink base: What does it do?
Excel 2007 I've been reading some posts on the hyperlink base feature, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. What I would THINK it should is that, when you press Ctrl-k in a cell, the Address would automatically appear as your base and the Current Folder would open to the base folder, so you could set you more- specific hyperlinked location from there. But that's not what happens. Does the hyperlink base have any practical value when creating hyperlinks using Ctrl-k? Thanks. ...

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

comparing data
I have an old A2k db I am trying to normalize, and there are many instances where the same company has been entered multiple times, but typed differently enough to allow the multpile entries (like "Company"; "The Company"; "The Company Inc" etc.). Is there a function that would allow me to compare text data entries that are similar to one another so I can reconcile them into one entry? Kinda like a Find Dups query but obviously these aren't exact dups... TIA -- Any help is greatly appreciated :) There really isn't any easy way of doing what you&...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Access 2007 Run-time Error 2467 when accessing a listbox value on a sub form
I have a database that has been in production on Access 2003 for quite some time and has run without errors. A user's machine was recently upgraded to Access 2007 and now the database throughs a Run-time Error 2467 "The Expression you entered referes to an object that is closed or does not exist" on the following line that references a listbox value on a sub form. If Nz(Me.sfrm_Consultant_Contract_Request.Form.Cmb_Consultant.Value) = "" Then .. .. .. I changed the code to If Nz(Forms! frm_Main.sfrm_Consultant_Contract_Request.Form.Cmb_Consultant.Value) = ""...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Combine columns of data into one
Hi, I want to combine columns of data into one, e.g. to combine column 1, 2 and 3 into column 4 column 1 column 2 column 3 column 4 1 a i 1 2 b ii a 3 c iii i 4 d iv 2 5 e v b 6 f vi ii 7 g vii 3 .... Thanks in advance. I should put the message under other catergory. Sorry about that. In your empyt co...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Forumula to Extract Data
I have an Excel spreadsheet with contact information I want to import to a CRM lead system. Current Excel sheet format is all in one column going down as follows: Company Name, Address, City State Zip (all one field), Phone number, then empy cell then repeat of 4 cells listed above. Want to convert to a new .csv file with listing going left to right on on line as follows (ending up with 6 column fields - 1. Company Name 2. Address 3. City 4. State 5. Zip 6. Phone Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks. Kip The hard part will be parsing the column with City State Zip into thre...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

Sorting Data by Priority
I am setting up a excel databse that will track computer problems. On sheet 1 I have a User Input Sheet where the user can input their name, the date, description and priority of problem (priority eg: 1: Urgent, 2: can wait for a few days, 4: Nuisance and fixed sometime). I have a process macro on sheet 1 which transfers all the user's inputted data into Sheet Two. I want to sort sheet 2 by the Priority of the problems. Is there any way I can do this without having to select the sheet and having to go to data and Sort? I have sheet 2 linked to Access. Any help with this would be really ap...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...

Month Filter
I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks listed by date (mm/dd/yy), payee, check #, etc. What I want to do is be able to filter the list by month (ex., March 2005). Is there a way to do this? Thanks Joseph You can Try EasyFilter Joseph http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph" <joe@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23lQNnTawFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks lis...

Error writing OLE data
I inserted some JPG pictures. Now I can't save my file. I get : "An error (1441) occurred during the action Save. There was an error reading or writing OLE data." Now what?? I'm using Visio 2003 SP2. Barry Hi Barry, Can't reproduce the issue but clearly some or all pictures are containing an corruption Some suggestions: try to save the .jpg picture one by one to determine if one of the pictures is the culprit try inserting in another format format such as .bmp, .png, .gif etc try other office applications, if you don't experience a problem then copy&...

Pasting Data into a webpage text box
Simon move my posting at the codecage from excel to word so i'm reposting at MS so it appears where I wanted the posting. I'm working om a Webpage project where I'm copying from a word document to a webpage with a box similar to the message box I'm presently typing in. The webpage doesn't allow modifying the innertext or innerHTML. I saved the word document to HTM file format. I then open the html file as a text file and perform a readall. Then simply move it to the outter html IE.myobject.outterhtml = fs.readall This destroys the box and just displays th...

Data Validation #22
I have data validation on two sheets of a single workbook. On one sheet the dropdown list appears when the cell is selected. However, on the second sheet the dropdown list does not appear. I have checked the "incell drop-down" option for both sheets. Infact I have been using this workbook for a while and it worked until I allowed others to work on it. The data validation has not been deleted. How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your help. If you delete the row that contains the cell with the problem data|validation, then insert a new row in its place (and put back all the ...