File Size

Please note that this is not your typical file size question.

I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb
depending on how much data I populate it with.  Every day, in order to email
this file out, I alter it by doing the following:

Select all tabs (11 in all).
Select all cells
Copy/Paste Values
Delete 5 of the tabs
Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled)

The new file size is now roughly 600Kb.

However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb.  I made sure to
delete all the excess rows/columns.  I deleted the one macro that I have
stored in the file.  I looked for any objects that might be on the sheets
(there were none).  I deleted the tabs, one at a time, to see if I could
figure out which tab is causing the issue.  Eventually, I deleted all the
tabs (had to insert a new blank one to ensure that there was at least one
tab).  The end cell on the new blank tab is A1.  There are no hidden sheets.
The file size is still 1.7Mb!

If I copy my used cells/sheets into a new workbook the file size is about
500Kb.  Obviously there is something wrong with the file.  Any thoughts as to
what is causing it?  I'd rather not recreate the full file.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hmm....

Do you perhaps have a PivotTable cache that is stored somewhere (from an old
PivotTable) or any formula containing defined names? (Insert - name -
define)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"JTS1974" <JTS1974@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please note that this is not your typical file size question.
>
> I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb
> depending on how much data I populate it with.  Every day, in order to
> email
> this file out, I alter it by doing the following:
>
> Select all tabs (11 in all).
> Select all cells
> Copy/Paste Values
> Delete 5 of the tabs
> Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled)
>
> The new file size is now roughly 600Kb.
>
> However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb.  I made sure to
> delete all the excess rows/columns.  I deleted the one macro that I have
> stored in the file.  I looked for any objects that might be on the sheets
> (there were none).  I deleted the tabs, one at a time, to see if I could
> figure out which tab is causing the issue.  Eventually, I deleted all the
> tabs (had to insert a new blank one to ensure that there was at least one
> tab).  The end cell on the new blank tab is A1.  There are no hidden
> sheets.
> The file size is still 1.7Mb!
>
> If I copy my used cells/sheets into a new workbook the file size is about
> 500Kb.  Obviously there is something wrong with the file.  Any thoughts as
> what is causing it?  I'd rather not recreate the full file.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

0
Luke
4/9/2010 6:30:51 PM
The original has about 5 PivotTables that ultimately get valued-out.
Where/How would I find the PivotTable cache?

There are about 50 named ranges.  However, since everything is valued-out,
there are no more formulas that refer to them.

"Luke M" wrote:

> Hmm....
>
> Do you perhaps have a PivotTable cache that is stored somewhere (from an old
> PivotTable) or any formula containing defined names? (Insert - name -
> define)
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "JTS1974" <JTS1974@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please note that this is not your typical file size question.
> >
> > I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb
> > depending on how much data I populate it with.  Every day, in order to
> > email
> > this file out, I alter it by doing the following:
> >
> > Select all tabs (11 in all).
> > Select all cells
> > Copy/Paste Values
> > Delete 5 of the tabs
> > Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled)
> >
> > The new file size is now roughly 600Kb.
> >
> > However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb.  I made sure to
> > delete all the excess rows/columns.  I deleted the one macro that I have
> > stored in the file.  I looked for any objects that might be on the sheets
> > (there were none).  I deleted the tabs, one at a time, to see if I could
> > figure out which tab is causing the issue.  Eventually, I deleted all the
> > tabs (had to insert a new blank one to ensure that there was at least one
> > tab).  The end cell on the new blank tab is A1.  There are no hidden
> > sheets.
> > The file size is still 1.7Mb!
> >
> > If I copy my used cells/sheets into a new workbook the file size is about
> > 500Kb.  Obviously there is something wrong with the file.  Any thoughts as
> > what is causing it?  I'd rather not recreate the full file.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide!
>

> .

Ok.  I just deleted the defined names and the file is back down to 400Kb!  I
didn't think just naming a range would affect a file like that.  Especially
after everythign gets valued-out and isn't used anymore.

THANK YOU!!!

"JTS1974" wrote:

> The original has about 5 PivotTables that ultimately get valued-out.
> Where/How would I find the PivotTable cache?
>
> There are about 50 named ranges.  However, since everything is valued-out,
> there are no more formulas that refer to them.
>
> "Luke M" wrote:
>
> > Hmm....
> >
> > Do you perhaps have a PivotTable cache that is stored somewhere (from an old
> > PivotTable) or any formula containing defined names? (Insert - name -
> > define)
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Luke M
> > "JTS1974" <JTS1974@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Please note that this is not your typical file size question.
> > >
> > > I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb
> > > depending on how much data I populate it with.  Every day, in order to
> > > email
> > > this file out, I alter it by doing the following:
> > >
> > > Select all tabs (11 in all).
> > > Select all cells
> > > Copy/Paste Values
> > > Delete 5 of the tabs
> > > Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled)
> > >
> > > The new file size is now roughly 600Kb.
> > >
> > > However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb.  I made sure to
> > > delete all the excess rows/columns.  I deleted the one macro that I have
> > > stored in the file.  I looked for any objects that might be on the sheets
> > > (there were none).  I deleted the tabs, one at a time, to see if I could
> > > figure out which tab is causing the issue.  Eventually, I deleted all the
> > > tabs (had to insert a new blank one to ensure that there was at least one
> > > tab).  The end cell on the new blank tab is A1.  There are no hidden
> > > sheets.
> > > The file size is still 1.7Mb!
> > >
> > > If I copy my used cells/sheets into a new workbook the file size is about
> > > 500Kb.  Obviously there is something wrong with the file.  Any thoughts as
> > > what is causing it?  I'd rather not recreate the full file.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help you can provide!
> >

> > .

Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc
Good morning all! I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure. I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create test data files. I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was created in the same folder. Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from scratch) , created new code m...

merging .pub files
I have created 2 .pub files using Publisher 2003, a 50 page directory file and a 4 page calendar file. I want to append the calandar file onto the end of the directory file but can't find any method of combining pre-created ..pub files. I assume there is a method, but as a rookie, can't find it. I also have Publisher 2007 available, if it would work better. Any assistance is appreciated. Bruce H Bruce H wrote: > I have created 2 .pub files using Publisher 2003, a 50 page directory file > and a 4 page calendar file. I want to append the calandar file onto the end >...

FILE SIZES/CANNOT SAVE
Hi there ! I have an excel spreadsheet with 8 wsheets which worked perfectly , and was 180k in size. However , as I REMOVE wsheets the file size INCREASES! When I leave just 3 Wsheets , each EMPTY! , the file size has quadrupled to 750K ! .. and I am unable to save/overwrite it on a floppy ! Has anyone any ideas ? ... Many thanks .... Brian NEVER save to a floppy. SAVE and COPY to the floppy. Same thing on getting file FROM floppy. Copy to HD. Then open. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "BRIAN BARNARD" <brian.barnard80@ntlworld.com> wrote in ...

Converting money file #2
I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? Ask GnuCash? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B649AC52-FEDE-4B71-8E69-23299B71BB89@microsoft.com... >I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? GnuCash imports QIF. Money exports QIF. Assuming GnuCash does sane things with the iimports, that'd be better than nothi...

How do I save an Excel file in ASCII?
Mrs Crinkle wrote: Save as *.csv > How do I save an Excel file in ASCII? One way... To save formulas and values, use: Tools >> Options >> View and check "Formulas" Then: File >> Save as and choose CSV as the "Save as type" Many Excel features aren't preserved, but you'll get the basic values and formulas for one worksheet. ...

Find the most recent record in a file
I'm using Access2003 and this is what I'm trying to do. I have a Table with 3 fields: [Date of Activity] [Person Performing Activity] [Type of Activity] I want to write a query so I can list the Date of the most recent Activity, for each Type of Activity, and have it print on a Report. I'm going to run this report daily, and want to list one record for each "Type of Activity" and show the most recent date that activity was performed, and the person who performed it. Any help would be appreciated. create a query with type of activity grouped and date of ac...

Excel 2007 painfully slow to open files
Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) files by double clicking either the file or a shortcut. If I have Excel open and go through the ribbon menu to open the file from within Excel it opens immediately - it is only slow when opening a file via shortcut or double clicking the file with Excel closed. Is there a fix for this? Wowbagger wrote: > Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am > finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) f...

Forgot my PST File Password
Hello: I have Outlook 2003 and I put the password on my PST file, but now I can't remember it. Is there any way I can recover the password? Thanks in advance, Spuddy Spudy wrote: > Hello: > > I have Outlook 2003 and I put the password on my PST file, but now I > can't remember it. Is there any way I can recover the password? > > Thanks in advance, > Spuddy Google is your friend - many PST password-crackers out there.... Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote: > Google is your friend - many PST password-crackers out there.... But none I've s...

Tutorial On Using Windows Vista Compressed Files Capabilities
Where can I find a link or tutorial on using Windows Vista's Compressed Files Capabilities? I am of need to create several Zipped Compressed Files. I am not interested in third party software. Thank you Eddy. Very simple - Right click the file ( or Files ) and from the context menu place your pointer over "Send To". From the secondary menu choose "Compressed (Zipped) File". "Eddy" <Eddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E75733F-4757-4253-9277-BC15273789C7@microsoft.com... > Where can I find a link or tutorial on usi...

Excel 2008 cannot open xlsx and xlsb files created by Excel 2007 for PC
Just today (17 January 2008), I installed Office 2008 on my Mac and discovered a major incompatibility: Excel files, moderate in size or larger (e.g., 2 Mb) created in Excel 2007 for PC and saved in xlsx and xlsb formats cannot be opened by Excel 2008 for Mac. <br><br>I just spent an hour on the phone with technical support at Microsoft. While talking to the support person there, I sent to him three such files, and he and his collegues were unable to open any of them in Excel 2008. <br><br>If you try to open such a file in Excel 2008, the latter seems to "hang&qu...

Importing Excel file without server access
I'm automating the process of emailing query results as an Excel file attachment to one recipeint. The recipient will complete data in the Excel file. My problem is that our company will not give this person access to our server, therefore he cannot upload his updated Excel file to one of our drives where I can then access it, import and update my table. There is nobody that he can email the file to either. I believe, however, that he'll have access to unpload a file to our company's SIFT site. Is there a way, through automation, that I can then import the file from ...

Repost: Signed catalog file giving me "can't verify publisher" err
I have a driver that consists of a single .inf, .cat, and .sys files. I signed the .sys, ran inf2cat, and then signed the .cat file. Signtool verify /kp gives the catalog file a clean bill of health, but I still get the red dialog with the "Can't verify the publisher of this driver" warning whenever I plug in the hardware and install the driver. Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I don't require full WHQL certification to get rif of the warning dialog, do I? I suspect you have not cross-signed your driver. Please check my blog post regard...

deleting the dynamics.dic file on the server
Hello: Someone at a client of ours went in and somehow managed to accidentally delete the dynamics.dic file from the server’s GP code folder. Now, GP will of course not run on the server. The client tried to alleviate this issue by copying the dynamics.dic file and dex.ini file from a working workstation. That did not work. They still get errors on the server whenever someone tries to launch GP from the server (Visual Basic initialization failure, ".tlb files are missing", outdated versions of OLE system files are present, etc.) The client does not have a backup of this c...

Problem opening office xp excel files
Hi all, I have office xp and when I click on an excel file, Excel will run bu it doesn't open the file, it leaves it empty and gray. Problem goe away if I do file, open, filename. Can anybody help? This problem happens to all my excel files, not just a particular one Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Tools / Options / General / If 'Ignore other Applications' is checked then uncheck it. -- Regards Ken..........................

Excel Image not displayed when the physical file is N/A
Hello there, I'm having a problem on images that's generated from excel. I'm using the url method to generate the excel file and I'm aware that the images are stored in a physical location and the images won't be able to be displayed if the physical file is not available. I'm able to display the images out when the excel report is generated; however, when we save it as the default xls extension file, and open it in another location, the images are not displayed, as only the physical file path is being stored in the excel file. I've tested it on a c...

Excel opening with Visual Basiic File not Found Error?? Help!!!
When I open up Excel I am receiving an error message "Microsoft Visual Basic File not Found" when I hit help it tells me it is file not found error 53. Can anyone provide me some information on how I need to fix this problem. Help!!!! Thanks, Judd Hi Judd, See responses to similar questions from Tom Ogilvy http://tinyurl.com/9nubf and Dave Peterson: http://tinyurl.com/829pc --- Regards, Norman "jbsand1001" <jbsand1001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6EAD2E6-E90E-4929-9368-0C96BCADC374@microsoft.com... > When I open up Exce...

Word Automation
Bug Report (can't find out how to submit bug reports other than here) Summary of bug - Word 2007 automation object throws error 5174 with any filename that has the pound sign (#). I have run into this bug only when using the Automation object for Microsoft Word 2007. I have not tried this with other versions of Word. The file I am opening is a "doc" file, NOT a "docx" or "docm". The filename contains a pound sign (#). I am able to open this file using any other method (File->Open; double-clicking from Windows Explorer; etc). But when opening ...

Make ZIP files from ASP.NET with VB
Hi somebody have an example or an idea to how to make ZIP files from a folder? Thanks a lot On 9/17/2010 2:14 PM, Marcos G. wrote: > Hi somebody have an example or an idea to how to make ZIP files from a > folder? > > Thanks a lot <http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=zip+libaries+for+net&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=m1&aql=&oq=zip+libaries+for+net&gs_rfai=CsSyRB82TTOGbJJG6hASEv7n2CwAAAKoEBU_QB9Oo&psj=1&fp=207a1c3c62b92b94> Have a look on codeplex (http://www.codeplex.com) - there are severa...

How to properly transfer an outlook.pst file?
For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file, e.g., when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client buys a new PC and wants their Outlook data transferred from their backup files. Invariably something gets botched up and this usually means I have to spend hours trying to resolve the mess created. I am assuming there must be a proper way to do this and obviously I'm not doing it. What I'm hoping for is that someone will provide a step-by-step procedure that WORKS. My general practice has been to install Office, open Outlook and cre...

outlook freezes attaching files
Outlook freezes when users try to attach files stored on a network drive. Only some users have this problem, if I do the same with a different login it work just fine. Any ideas.....?? ...

Purchase Orders
Does anybody know of any RMS Add-On where you can Create a Purchase Order by importing an item list from a CSV text file? We have a customer that gets an excel spreadsheet from their supplier of all the items that they should be receiving via UPS. The customer doesnt know before hand what they will be receiving until they get the excel spreadsheet. Any Ideas? I'm new to RMS, so forgive me if this info is slightly inaccurate, try it out first. If you create a blank P.O for adding item manually, on the screen where you enter your items, right click, and import. Then you choose you...

Opening Publisher 2002 Files
When trying to open a file in a terminal server environment I get the following error. Microsoft Publisher: The file s:\04a.pub cannot be opened. Access privileges have not been given. Publisher 2002 is installed on both Windows 2000 Terminal Servers. Is the file on a network drive? If so, try copying it over to your local drive. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Senior Systems Engineer" <Senior Systems Engineer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AD4330E-A551-4110-8291-CA117D71FE6B@microsoft.com... > When trying to open a file in a termin...

Looking for Microsoft Office Binary File Format or File Signature data
I have an application which obtains numerous "unidentifiable" files with no file extension, via FTP, and would like to run some sort of binary filter on it to identify PPT, DOC, XLS file formats. I did fine this: http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html But it seems a messy way of accomplishing this, and is incomplete. Any clues as to finding the binary record format and/or file signatures of Office documents (Office 2000 and greater). - Thanks ...

.PAB file
I have a .PAB file, but would like to tranfer contact details to the .PST file. I have Windows XP Pro + Office 2000. Jay <nospam> wrote: > I have a .PAB file, but would like to tranfer contact details to the > .PST file. Outlook's Import function should allow it. -- Brian Tillman Thanks Brian, I will try that. Out of curiosity, for which version of Office did the .PAB file stop being necessary? I gather that it is no longer needed. Jay "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O8X$OSqIHHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... Jay <n...

Menu Options on File
I have Outlook 2000 working in Win2k with all the service paks installed. On my File menu I have a Backup menu option that allows me to back up my .pst files at pre- defined interavals. I have Outlook installed on WinXP Home and it does not give me the backup option. Is there something that can be set in Outlook on the XP system to give me that menu item? ...