File Save As Use in Macro

Does anyone know of a macro that will reference the contents of a cell and
the save the file with the contents of that cell?  For instance,

Cell A1 contains the name John
When the macro is run it will save the file as John.xls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Hardeman

0
jtfisher (1)

James

Try this one

Sub SaveCellName()
    Dim FileName As String

    FileName = Range("A1").Value

    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=FileName, _
        FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
        ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False

End Sub

Personally I would add the path name in as well when creating the
FileName

e.g.  FileName = "C:\MY DOCUMENTS\Excel\"&Range("A1").Value

David P

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:04:14 GMT, "JTfisher" <jtfisher@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>Does anyone know of a macro that will reference the contents of a cell and
>the save the file with the contents of that cell?  For instance,
>
>Cell A1 contains the name John
>When the macro is run it will save the file as John.xls.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>James Hardeman

0
d.prout (11)

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

How to earase background of a Toolbar using OnEraseBkgnd method
Hi, How to Make the Toolbar transparent and color by using override OnEraseBkgnd of the Toolbar, paint it the color we want. Regards, sowmya. On Jul 21, 5:39=A0am, bhavana.sow...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > How to Make the Toolbar transparent and color by using override > OnEraseBkgnd of the Toolbar, paint it the color we want. > > Regards, > sowmya. What is the problem in doing so? Are you not able to paint it correctly. Keep in mind that if you make it transparent, its going to show the color of underlying dockbar. -- Ajay ...

Using outlook express as newsreaedr from outlook
I have added the News command to the menu items of outlook, this is supposed to Open oulook express as the newsreader, however when I select news it opens a folder 1033 instead of Outlook express. How do I correct this problem? Thanks for any help Bob Answer has been posted countless times. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Windows Tablet INK Macro
I'm developing a DMR solution on a Tablet with Windows Tablet XP and Office 2007. I need to use a button on a form to turn on and off the INK pen. When I try to just record a macro it causes Excel to get a hang and crash. Can you give me a code snippet to turn on the INK pen? Thanks for your help, Greg -- ...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to deal with empty element using ReadXML
below is a very simple XML file. I use ReadXml to read data. When it reaches an empty element as <Product /> below, my program crashes. The error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. How can I assign a value to this empty element? Thanks Bill --------------------- - <Inventory Type="Physical"> <Product /> <TankNumber>0031022207-1</TankNumber> <UserDefinedTag>0</UserDefinedTag> <DateTime>2007-07-11T03:52:00</DateTime> <Volume>0</Volume> <Ullage>1...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Execute macro to run automatically
Hi, I have created a pivot chart in excel that i want to refresh data everyday. I have created a macro to refresh the data and save that file. I want to be able to schedule this macro on a scheduler to run automatically everyday. Can any one help me with that. Thanks, Rakshan rakshan See Chip Pearson's site for coding with the OnTime method. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm Note: you can also use Windows Task Scheduler to open Excel and run a Workbook_Open Macro then save and close Excel if you wanted to do this at some time when computer is idle. Gord Dibben Excel MVP...

%20 shows up in document name when doing a save as
I do alot of quotes that I pull up an old document, update with new info, then save as a new document name, leaving the old one as is. Sometimes when I go to save the new document as save as, the spaces in the name of the document are filled with the percentage symbol and 20, %20. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

How do I use Goal Seek?
i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? Sure we can help. Bur what's the problem you want to solve? -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Brianne" <Brianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89542242-B37E-42E7-9165-E6C50423E47C@microsoft.com... > i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? > > i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? Here's an simple example. Suppose to want to calculate the square root of the number in A1. In A3, put =A2...

Running Macros w/vba
How can one run a macro in an excel file using automation...? Hi not sure for what you're asking but a macro introduction can be found at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany alien2_51" <dan.billow"at wrote: > How can one run a macro in an excel file using automation...? I'm populating data inside an Excel spreadsheet from within a DTS package once the data is there I need run a Macro whcih outputs the data contained in each worksheet to an XML file which I then need to validate against an XSD... I never ha...

Transferring Macros
I was wondering if there was an easy way to transfer a bunch of macros to 5 other computers? Any help would be great, thanks! Hi Mike Save a file with the macro's as a Add-in and distribute that one http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156942&Product=xlw How to Create an Add-in File in Microsoft Excel 97 Or import the module's (or copy the macro's) in the personal.xls file on each machine -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:aace01c47963$57d3d480$a401280a@p...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...