File opening problem over network

I have what seems to be a strange excel file opening issue that I can't
pinpoint and I would greatly appreciate any ideas to try for this problem.

We have a network computer running windows 98 SE.  On this computer there
are many .xls files stored for users to access.  Often when opening the
files users get an error that reads: Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any
more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk
pace.  -To make more memory available, close workbooks or programs you no
longer need.  -To free disk space, delete files you no longer need from the
disk you are saving to.  The only option is to click OK, then excel is open
with no worksheets.

Here is what I know:
    1.  The problem is intermittent, although seems to happen more often
than not.
    2.  Only seems to happen on certain PCs, all running windows 2000, but
not all windwos 2000 PCs have the problem.
    3.  The PCs that this problem seems to happen with are the ones that
access these spreadsheets the most.
    4.  There is no problem if the files are opened by going to file, open
within excel.
    5.  Everything mentioned in the error message is not a problem on either
the users pc or the network one.
    6.  Most of the PCs that have the problem were upgraded from windows 98
and according to users the problem started after the upgrade (before my time
here).  But not all of the PCs with the problem were upgrades, nor do all
that were upgraded have problems.

That is all I can think of for now.  Again, any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

0
Doug

One more fact about the problem:

-If the files are moved to another PC, whether it is a different one on the
network, or the user's PC, there is no problem what so ever opening the
file.

"Doug T" <none> wrote in message
> I have what seems to be a strange excel file opening issue that I can't
> pinpoint and I would greatly appreciate any ideas to try for this problem.
>
> We have a network computer running windows 98 SE.  On this computer there
> are many .xls files stored for users to access.  Often when opening the
> files users get an error that reads: Microsoft Excel cannot open or save
any
> more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk
> pace.  -To make more memory available, close workbooks or programs you no
> longer need.  -To free disk space, delete files you no longer need from
the
> disk you are saving to.  The only option is to click OK, then excel is
open
> with no worksheets.
>
> Here is what I know:
>     1.  The problem is intermittent, although seems to happen more often
> than not.
>     2.  Only seems to happen on certain PCs, all running windows 2000, but
> not all windwos 2000 PCs have the problem.
>     3.  The PCs that this problem seems to happen with are the ones that
> access these spreadsheets the most.
>     4.  There is no problem if the files are opened by going to file, open
> within excel.
>     5.  Everything mentioned in the error message is not a problem on
either
> the users pc or the network one.
>     6.  Most of the PCs that have the problem were upgraded from windows
98
> and according to users the problem started after the upgrade (before my
time
> here).  But not all of the PCs with the problem were upgrades, nor do all
> that were upgraded have problems.
>
> That is all I can think of for now.  Again, any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.

0
Doug
11/13/2003 4:40:20 PM
I fixed a similar issue  the other day. The user had
multiple wkbks open and got the same type errors. Office
2K has a memory limit that was resolved for this
particular issue with the installation of Office XP. It
solved a similar ongoing issue on 3 different systems
(Office 2K) regarding Excel and multiple wkbk opened.
hth

0
anonymous (74718)
11/13/2003 5:18:27 PM
Are all Windows updates current ? SP4 etc..
Also: Excel has inherent memory limitations. The link
below has explanation and workarounds for this.
http://www.DecisionModels.com/memlimitsc.htm
hth

0
admin2595 (4)
11/13/2003 7:11:48 PM
And of course, make sure you have current Office SP3.

0
anonymous (74718)
11/13/2003 7:19:02 PM
Seems like all PCs having trouble have windows 2000 SP 3 and that installing
SP 4 is the fix.  Worked on one so far.  See how it goes with the rest
tomorrow.  thanks for the help.

DRT

"JohnnyMo" <admin@texase-commerce.com> wrote in message
> Are all Windows updates current ? SP4 etc..
> Also: Excel has inherent memory limitations. The link
> below has explanation and workarounds for this.
> http://www.DecisionModels.com/memlimitsc.htm
> hth

0
Doug

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

I can't open an emailed Excel Spreadsheet
I was emailed an Excel Spreadsheet for me to download and use, but my yahoo email couldn't open it. It directed me to the Microsoft webpage to find out what program it came from. What do I do now???? Is it possible that you do not have excel installed on your computer? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "New to area" <New to area@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:477288BA-4E9E-45A7-B183-A19E96F9A873@microsoft.com... > I was emailed an Excel Spreadsheet for me to download and use, but my yahoo > email couldn't open it. It directed...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Help needed with networked Outlook
Hi, I have a simple system with 3 PC's networked via a router. All pc's are running XP and Outlook 2002. 1 pc acts as a simple server for files and the printer. Is there a simple way that the server can download all incoming emails and divert them to one of the others, depending on the intended recipient, but then also keep a copy of any replies that were sent? At the moment we download to all 3 and we don't always know if someone else has replied to an email. Many thanks and I hope that makes sense. Paul. That'll be a no then :-) Paul "Paul Reed" <p...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Open another Outlook share calendar 02-15-10
Version: 2008 Email Client: Exchange Hi, <br> I have an user that share his calendar with some users, but the calendar in share isn't the principal but another calendar. The users that use Outlook client don't have to open the share calendar, but the Entourage client can't open the calendar because Entourage client try to open the principal calendar but the user don't have the permission. How to set Entourage for open another share calendar and not the principal. <br> Thanks. ...

OL2003 Attachment Problems
Hi, a custumer experiences the following problem within his network (w2k3 server, XPSP1 clients) with regard to outlook and attachments: The mail in question is a mail with a rar-compressed attachment: If the same mail goes to a workstation with OL2002(SP3) installed, everything is perfect, but on the workstations with OL2003 (SP1) installed, the mail seems to be "empty". That is: no "from", no "to", no "subject" and no attachment. In the body only one line shows up, which seems to be the header of the rar-attachment. Even changing the extension ...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Problems with CreateFile
Hi, I want to write a file using the code given below. In very rare cases the file-contents are not changed but the last modified date is set to the current date. What is wrong here? I use this code on a WinXP Prof. The file I want to write already exists. But it is NOT write protected. I have full-rights access (adminstrator) Any ideas`? if ((fileHandle = CreateFile(file, GENERIC_WRITE, 0, NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL|FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH, NULL)) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) { // error handling bla ... } ...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Outlook problem, cache mode, outlook0.ost, windows desktop search
Hi, here's a relatively tough one for the forum's gurus. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with Intel Core Duo at 2Ghz with 2GB RAM. I am running Office 2003 Professional Edition, Firefox, McAfee Viruscan Enterprise 8.5.0i, Windows Desktop Search 4.0, Skype and a few more apps, but not that much crap installed. I run Outlook in cache mode, with the outlook0.ost file being at 301MB and the Exchange mailbox size is 271Mb (I just compacted the OST file). I currently have 5 PST files for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 year emails. For professional reasons I sho...