File open by another user....

I am assisting a couple of customers who have an excel
file they both edit from a server. The file is not shared
and when user #1 has the file open and user #2 tries to
open the file user #2 gets prompted that the file is open
by another user and can only be opened read only. When
user #2 has the file open and user #1 opens the file and
never gets prompted. This seems to be pretty consistent.
User #2 is the creator of the file but I believe should
still be getting prompted to open as read only. Is there
any settings in Excel that would keep from being prompted
to open read only? Might there be another permissions
setting or circumstance on the server which may be causing
this situation? Any assistance will be appreciated.
TIA
George
0
anonymous (74717)

"George Wilson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I am assisting a couple of customers who have an excel
>file they both edit from a server. The file is not shared
>and when user #1 has the file open and user #2 tries to
>open the file user #2 gets prompted that the file is open
>by another user and can only be opened read only. When
>user #2 has the file open and user #1 opens the file and
>never gets prompted. This seems to be pretty consistent.
>User #2 is the creator of the file but I believe should
>still be getting prompted to open as read only. Is there
>any settings in Excel that would keep from being prompted
>to open read only? Might there be another permissions
>setting or circumstance on the server which may be causing
>this situation? Any assistance will be appreciated.

When user #2 has the file open first, can user #2 save changes to it? When
user #1 opens it subsequently, can user #1 save changes to it?

0
hrlngrv (1990)
4/15/2004 4:00:13 AM
One way it is open read only and vice versa it is not and
changes can be saved. Both individuals are counting on
being prompted if it is already being edited because of
logistics.

0
anonymous (74717)
4/15/2004 3:00:22 PM
Sounds like User 1 is not attempting to open the same file that user 2 has open.
A file that is not shared can not be opened by more than 1 person at a time
unless it is opened as Read only.

:
: >>I am assisting a couple of customers who have an excel
: >>file they both edit from a server. The file is not shared
: >>and when user #1 has the file open and user #2 tries to
: >>open the file user #2 gets prompted that the file is open
: >>by another user and can only be opened read only. When
: >>user #2 has the file open and user #1 opens the file and
: >>never gets prompted. This seems to be pretty consistent.
: >>User #2 is the creator of the file but I believe should
: >>still be getting prompted to open as read only. Is there
: >>any settings in Excel that would keep from being prompted
: >>to open read only? Might there be another permissions
: >>setting or circumstance on the server which may be
: causing
: >>this situation? Any assistance will be appreciated.
: >
: >When user #2 has the file open first, can user #2 save
: changes to it? When
: >user #1 opens it subsequently, can user #1 save changes
: to it?
: >
: >
: >.
: >

0
nospam202 (664)

export/import users grant between pcs
hi i want to export users grant from one pc and import to other pc . users are many. how can i do please help me ...

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

I can't open an emailed Excel Spreadsheet
I was emailed an Excel Spreadsheet for me to download and use, but my yahoo email couldn't open it. It directed me to the Microsoft webpage to find out what program it came from. What do I do now???? Is it possible that you do not have excel installed on your computer? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "New to area" <New to area@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:477288BA-4E9E-45A7-B183-A19E96F9A873@microsoft.com... > I was emailed an Excel Spreadsheet for me to download and use, but my yahoo > email couldn't open it. It directed...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Outlook Setup
Hi, I am looking at getting outlook 2003 with exchange 2003 (running on 2003 R2 server) and we would like to have outlook automatically populate the exchange settings for each user when they logon. What options do i have with this? Is profgen the only option? Thanks Profgen is too old. Look at the Office Custom Installation Wizard, or a third-party fee tool like Profile Maker. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Paul Stilgoe" <stilgs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154648749.175001.41050@75g2000cwc.googlegroup...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

How to block users access to Exchange 2003 (during virus outbreak)
I am writing up a guide to help us during a virus outbreak situation. I'm following some ideas that Microsoft has already written regarding cleaning up Exchange servers... however, one suggestion they have is to block all user access to a server by simply unplugging the network cable. This works ok ifan admin is local to the server and/or an organization is not very large or global. However, we require remote admin access to many of our servers so this is not an option. I need a better plan to quickly block all user access to all Exchange servers. Thoughts were to use the registry set...

Open another Outlook share calendar 02-15-10
Version: 2008 Email Client: Exchange Hi, <br> I have an user that share his calendar with some users, but the calendar in share isn't the principal but another calendar. The users that use Outlook client don't have to open the share calendar, but the Entourage client can't open the calendar because Entourage client try to open the principal calendar but the user don't have the permission. How to set Entourage for open another share calendar and not the principal. <br> Thanks. ...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Format a worksheet based on column widths of another ?
Can this be done ? I am importing data form txt files produced by an old dos program and I want every sheet (holding an imported txt file) to have columns the same widths as other shetts I have already formatted. Any help appreciated. Thanks Edition>Copy Edition>Paste special>Column width HTH -- AP "Isis" <isissoftNOSPAM@btinternet.com> a �crit dans le message de news: Xns97C8760B53432ISIS@216.196.109.145... > Can this be done ? > > I am importing data form txt files produced by an old dos program and I > want every sheet (holding an imported txt ...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...