File Converision, (a lot of them)!

I want to find and convert all excel 2000 files to excel
95-97 and 2000 that are on my pc so they can be read with
excel 95. I have about 400 files to convert! Is there a
program that will convert all of my files or do I have to
do them one at a time?

Try FILE>SAVE AS  and then open the file type box and choose "Excel 5.0/95
Workbook".

--
RMC,CPA

"Rick" <rstandiford@comcast.net> wrote in message
I want to find and convert all excel 2000 files to excel
95-97 and 2000 that are on my pc so they can be read with
excel 95. I have about 400 files to convert! Is there a
program that will convert all of my files or do I have to
do them one at a time?

0
rchoatecpa (136)
8/9/2003 11:48:33 PM
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:48:33 -0500, "R. Choate" <rchoatecpa@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>Try FILE>SAVE AS  and then open the file type box and choose "Excel 5.0/95
>Workbook".

Ummm... I think he knows how to do that, Richard. He's asking if
there's a way of automating the process. I don't think that I'd care
to do Save As on 400 files...

>"Rick" <rstandiford@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I want to find and convert all excel 2000 files to excel
>>95-97 and 2000 that are on my pc so they can be read with
>>excel 95. I have about 400 files to convert! Is there a
>>program that will convert all of my files or do I have to
>>do them one at a time?

You can use a simple VBA macro to do it. Bear in mind that this may
take a while to run, so you may want to leave it running overnight or
at least over lunch time. Also I'd recommend that you do it with
copies of the files rather than the originals just in case; if
anything goes wrong, you're covered. Finally, bear in mind that the
multi version files will be larger than their Excel 97 onwards
cousins, since the file has to contain data for both formats. (I'd
really consider whether you should still be using 95; it's just too
old now. However that's your call.) Finally, this assumes that all
files are in one directory. That's the easiest way of doing it.

Sub ConvertAllFiles()

Dim l_FileCounter As Long
Dim s_CurrentFileName As String

'Change the following to the drive and path
'containing the files
ChDrive "H"
ChDir "H:\EXCEL\Tests_Development\FilesToConvert"

'Get the first xls file in the directory.
s_CurrentFileName = Dir("*.xls", vbNormal)

'This will prevent the "Are you sure" dialog from appearing
'when you SaveAs the new format.
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

'This will make the code faster.
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Do While s_CurrentFileName <> ""

    l_FileCounter = l_FileCounter + 1
    'You can tell how many files there are through
    'Windows Explorer. The status bar will tell you
    'how many have been done.
    Application.StatusBar = "Converting file no. " _
     & CStr(l_FileCounter) & " (" & s_CurrentFileName & ")"

    'Open the file.
    Application.Workbooks.Open s_CurrentFileName

    'Save in the older format
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
        "H:\EXCEL\Tests_Development\FilesToConvert\" _
        & s_CurrentFileName, FileFormat:= _
        xlExcel9795, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
        ReadOnlyRecommended:= _
        False, CreateBackup:=False

    'Close it.
    ActiveWorkbook.Close False

    'Get the next name.
    s_CurrentFileName = Dir

Loop

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.StatusBar = False

End Sub

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
8/10/2003 6:01:17 AM
Hi, Hank:

A couple of comments:

This one's trivial ... If the OP's goal is to allow the files to be read with XL95, why not just
save in XL5/95 format? That should produce less "bloat".

This one isn't. You use the Dir$() function to get the file names. That function "gets confused"
if you do anything that changes the directory between calls to the function. Unfortunately,
opening a file and resaving it, even under the same name, falls into this category.

You need to (a) use a separate function to get all of the file names into an array before you
start to convert them, or (b) use FileSystemObject to get the file list. (c) I don't mention
FileSearch because it's flaky on Excel XP, but if he's using XL2000, it may be OK.

To that end, here's a function that will get all of the file names into an array. You would call
this first, then read the names from the array and process the files. The function returns the
number of found files.

  Function GetFileList(Pattern As String, FileNames() As String) As Long
    Dim f As String
    Dim n As Integer

    n = 0
    Erase FileNames()

    f = Dir$(Pattern)
    Do While Len(f)
      n = n + 1
      ReDim Preserve FileNames(1 To n) As String
      FileNames(n) = f
      f = Dir$()
    Loop

    GetFileList = n

  End Function 'GetFileList

Myrna Larson

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:01:17 +1000, Hank Scorpio <ApolloXVIII@Hates.Spam> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    'Open the file.
>    Application.Workbooks.Open s_CurrentFileName
>
>    'Save in the older format
>    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
>        "H:\EXCEL\Tests_Development\FilesToConvert\" _
>        & s_CurrentFileName, FileFormat:= _
>        xlExcel9795, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
>        ReadOnlyRecommended:= _
>        False, CreateBackup:=False
>
>    'Close it.
>    ActiveWorkbook.Close False
>
>    'Get the next name.
>    s_CurrentFileName = Dir
>
>Loop
>
>Application.DisplayAlerts = True
>Application.ScreenUpdating = True
>Application.StatusBar = False
>
>End Sub

>Hank Scorpio
>scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
>* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *

myrnalarson (223)
8/10/2003 6:33:54 AM
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:33:54 -0500, Myrna Larson
<myrnalarson@charter.net> wrote:

Hi Myrna,

>Hi, Hank:
>
>A couple of comments:
>
>This one's trivial ... If the OP's goal is to allow the files to be read with XL95, why not just
>save in XL5/95 format? That should produce less "bloat".

True. I seemed to recall that there WAS a reason for using the dual
format type in preference to the earlier type alone when you would be
working in both environments. Yes, yes, vague, I know... but it was
something that I read quite a while ago now and I can't quite recall
the specifics, or even where I saw it. If I can find the relevant
reference in the black hole that passes for my library and filing
system, I'll post what it was.

>This one isn't. You use the Dir$() function to get the file names. That function "gets confused"
>if you do anything that changes the directory between calls to the function. Unfortunately,
>opening a file and resaving it, even under the same name, falls into this category.

I think it may be more a case of "can" get confused than "will" get
confused. I tested it with 20 files and it performed as I expected,
but granted that's a long way from the 400 that the OP is looking at.
Thanks for the tip; I hadn't heard of that problem before.

>You need to (a) use a separate function to get all of the file names into an array before you
>start to convert them, or (b) use FileSystemObject to get the file list. (c) I don't mention
>FileSearch because it's flaky on Excel XP, but if he's using XL2000, it may be OK.

I'm quite partial to the FSO myself these days (it's amazingly
powerful, with my one grumble being the lack of support for wildcard
searches except through "brew-your-own" code in conjunction with the
Files collection), though I seldom answer questions in those terms;
there are too many old, old Win95 installations still floating around,
even in major corporations.

>To that end, here's a function that will get all of the file names into an array. You would call
>this first, then read the names from the array and process the files. The function returns the
>number of found files.

OK Rick, do like Myrna says. 8^>

If you have any problem integrating her code with mine, just post
again and I'll do an integrated version of it for you.

> [...]
>>
>>    'Open the file.
>>    Application.Workbooks.Open s_CurrentFileName
>>
>>    'Save in the older format
>>    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
>>        "H:\EXCEL\Tests_Development\FilesToConvert\" _
>>        & s_CurrentFileName, FileFormat:= _
>>        xlExcel9795, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
>>        ReadOnlyRecommended:= _
>>        False, CreateBackup:=False
>>
>>    'Close it.
>>    ActiveWorkbook.Close False
>>
>>    'Get the next name.
>>    s_CurrentFileName = Dir
>>
>>Loop
>>
>>Application.DisplayAlerts = True
>>Application.ScreenUpdating = True
>>Application.StatusBar = False
>>
>>End Sub

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
8/10/2003 7:02:46 AM
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:02:46 +1000, Hank Scorpio
<ApolloXVIII@Hates.Spam> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:33:54 -0500, Myrna Larson
><myrnalarson@charter.net> wrote:
>
>Hi Myrna,
>
>>Hi, Hank:
>>
>>A couple of comments:
>>
>>This one's trivial ... If the OP's goal is to allow the files to be read with XL95, why not just
>>save in XL5/95 format? That should produce less "bloat".
>
>True. I seemed to recall that there WAS a reason for using the dual
>format type in preference to the earlier type alone when you would be
>working in both environments. Yes, yes, vague, I know... but it was
>something that I read quite a while ago now and I can't quite recall
>the specifics, or even where I saw it. If I can find the relevant
>reference in the black hole that passes for my library and filing
>system, I'll post what it was.

AHA!!! NOW I REMEMBER!!! Well, partly, anyway. I think that there was
a second, more significant reason, but this one is still bothersome
enough to warrant a mention.

If you save a file in xl5/95 format alone, then when you're working on
it in xl97+ the first time you go to save it, EVERY time you open it,
you'll get that bloody annoying "This file was saved in a previous
version, do you want to convert it" dialog. You don't get that with
the dual format version, and IIRC there's no option to turn the dialog
off. Obviously there's always a risk of the file being accidentally
converted back up to the later file format if you let that dialog run,
which would again make it inaccessible to the Excel 95 users until
someone with 97+ opened it and re-saved it in the 95 format.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
8/10/2003 7:21:36 AM
Ummm, I guess you're right, Hank. I should have given the OP a more
thoughtful response, as you seem to be, ummm, suggesting. Yes, 400 files
would be a pain, manually. It is interesting that the OP asked for "a
program", and not specific code which he could have gotten in the
programming group. But, ummm, what do I know? At least he did get some good
code.
--
RMC,CPA

wrote:

> [...]

    'Open the file.
    Application.Workbooks.Open s_CurrentFileName

    'Save in the older format
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
        "H:\EXCEL\Tests_Development\FilesToConvert\" _
        & s_CurrentFileName, FileFormat:= _
        xlExcel9795, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
        ReadOnlyRecommended:= _
        False, CreateBackup:=False

    'Close it.
    ActiveWorkbook.Close False

    'Get the next name.
    s_CurrentFileName = Dir

Loop

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.StatusBar = False

End Sub

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel?
how can i restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel? and how can i restrict him from saving an excel file as DBF? thanks ...

Problems importing pst file...
One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an error message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt. After running the Inbox repair tool to no avail, as well as picking up a copy of their pst from yesterday's backup, I'm still unable to do anything with it! When trying to import it, I get the message "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" & after hitting ok, I get a message that the file isn't a personal folders file! I have read several long-winded posts in other forums, which basically have given me no...

CRM data migration problem (from excel or text files to cdf_mscrm database)
Bonjour all, I'm sure you must have experience in importing the data to MS CRM cdf_mscrm database using the DTS utility in SQL server... Would you mind share with me and guide me how to do it? I read a book and it sounds easy. Moreover, I can successfully import data from a text or excel files into the SQL server sample database. However, I encounterd a problem when using the DTS service in MS SQL to migration data into the MS CRM data migration framework database (cdf_mscrm database). All data are in either excel files or text files. Error messages received when importing the dat...

Cannot open file
I was working on an 8 page document in Publisher 2003 and I tried to change from 1 page view to 2 page view. The computer then said it was short of virtual memory and closed publisher. Now I cannot open the file. File size is about 14Mb Any help would be gratefully appreciated - don't want to start again. ...

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files