File access error in Excel

I just started having a weird problem in Excel.   I go to save a file that I
recently opened and updated, and I get an error message that access to the
file is denied for a file sharing error.   If I save the file to another file
name, and then immediately "save as" back to the original name, it works
fine.    I tried uninstalling and reloading Excel (a very laborious process
because I must uninstall and reinstall all of Office Pro, and then download
all updates since my CD copy).  This seems to fix the problem for a while,
but it returns a few weeks later.   I am baffled.  I am running Windows XP
SP3 with Office 2007 Pro.   Any suggestions?

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

excel 2000 336 error
I am running Excel 2000 on a windows 2000 machine that's on a network. All the other machies on the network access this Visual Basic file but when I try I get a 336 error stating that the "Microsoft Visual Basic component not correctly registered". Clicking the "Help" button revelas that the "ActiveX component has not been properly registered in the system registry" I've tried "repairing" the installation, "reinstalling" through the setup procedure without uninstalling and finally an uninstall and reinstall of Office 2000 but s...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Access 2000 on Vista 08-20-07
Hi, Just bought new laptop with Vista Home Premium and have installed Office 2000. Access gives VirtualBasic Compilation error - "cant find project or library" when trying to resolve references. Tools/references is greyed out Is there anything that can be done to rectify this problem (e.g.copy across the reference (.dll?) files from WIN XPPro where everything works fine), or is it a basic unresolvable office2000/Vista incompatibility? Thanks in advance Hugh thanks Tom - apologies for duplicate posting - did the 2nd one via M/S web communities without relising it was the s...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Error when i split a database
I created and split a database. When i did this it caused the bitmap i was using as the background to be distorted. When I open the particular form the top of the graphic appears but when it gets to the tabbed section on the form it turns white and then reappears after the tabbed section. Before I split the database it appeared as one solid graphic. I've tried changing the graphic around but the same problem occurs. Anyone have any idea on a solution? You do have a copy of the complete mdb right? Try splitting it again but this time remove the graphic from the form and try placing...

Outlook error #35
"an extension failed to initialize. Can't open file: extend.dat" Try deleting or renaming the extend.dat file. Outlook will just recreate it and that should fix the problem. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:1bd7e01c420f7$ddff6610$a101280a@phx.gbl, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > "an extension failed to initialize. Can't open file: > extend.dat" ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

Error propagation
How can I found the error value of a and b (from the tendence line y=ax+b) obtained when I plot some data? Mauro: You can calculate the errors with Excel's LINEST function. This post gives an overview of six Excel regression tools. http://processtrends.com/toc_trend_analysis_with_Excel.htm Excel's help menu has a very good discussion of the LINEST function. Kelly O'Day "Mauro" <Mauro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:641912F2-02F8-4227-84A3-8BCFB53E7340@microsoft.com... > How can I found the error value of a and b (from the tendence lin...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

"this is an unexpected token" error
I have an XML file that starts like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions"?> <Authors> <Author> <ID>2</ID> <UserName>Whoever</UserName> <Title>Whatever</Title> <Internet>email</Internet> <Office>email</Office> </Author> It has multiple "<Author>" nodes. I have VB.NET code that looks like this: Dim doc As new XPathDocument(_fileName) Dim nav As XPathNavigator = doc.Crea...

How to block users access to Exchange 2003 (during virus outbreak)
I am writing up a guide to help us during a virus outbreak situation. I'm following some ideas that Microsoft has already written regarding cleaning up Exchange servers... however, one suggestion they have is to block all user access to a server by simply unplugging the network cable. This works ok ifan admin is local to the server and/or an organization is not very large or global. However, we require remote admin access to many of our servers so this is not an option. I need a better plan to quickly block all user access to all Exchange servers. Thoughts were to use the registry set...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Query Access
I am using VB.net 2008. I have a access database with 2 tables in it tblTeacher and tblStudent. I create a recordset (rsTeacher) one of the fields (TeacherName) in tblTeacher using distinct. Then I loop through the rsTeacher and then create another recordset (rsSchedule) and pull the Period and StudentID then I want to use that StudentID to query the tblStudent with the StudentID to get the StudentLastName, StudentFirstName and etc. then order by period, studentlastname, studentfirst. I usually cheat and use the query function in Access to do them but it doesn't seem like this...

How do I restrict Access to all mail groups on my Domain
Guys, How do I disable external mail access to all mail groups on my domain. Assuming I dont want anybody on the net to send an email to mail groups on my domain.I have checked the Exchange System Manager but I havent found anything explicit from global settings.Can anyone help? Thanks in Advance. Regards, -- Buchi Hi, hit properties of distr.group (Exchange general tab) and select Accept messages from authenticated users only... -- Regards, Sasa Milovanovic MCSE:Messaging sasa.milovanovic(at)exchangemaster.net "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...