excel vba - upon match entry, load macro?

I am setting up code for a macro which I want to test out, and i
successful would like to apply to certain old excel spreadsheets.
Here is some background info.

For my Macro1, It is set up as
If Range("D10").Value = "Autumn Brown" Then
Range("D11, D12") = "Brown"
etc.........
End If

The macro will work when I run it manually, IF autumn brown has bee
typed into cell D10 beforehand.  However, I would like to have it se
up so that when someone begins to type in cell D10, it will perform
match entry or lookup which will allow them to select the rest of th
word.  Once selected, the word will match the coinciding word I hav
set up in the macro and will automatically run.  Is this possible t
do?

Also, if this is possible, how would I go about applying this macro t
old excel file spreadsheets?  Does it have something to do with savin
it as an AddIn?

Thank

There's an option under Tools|Edit|EnableAutocomplete for Cell values

But that's used with values right above or right below your cell where you're
typing.

I think the solution that you might need is a small userform where the user can
type their values into one combobox.  You could use that value as the basis for
another combobox (if required) to show only those "valid" values for that first
value.

"chief <" wrote:

> I am setting up code for a macro which I want to test out, and if
> successful would like to apply to certain old excel spreadsheets.
> Here is some background info.
>
> For my Macro1, It is set up as
> If Range("D10").Value = "Autumn Brown" Then
> Range("D11, D12") = "Brown"
> etc.........
> End If
>
> The macro will work when I run it manually, IF autumn brown has been
> typed into cell D10 beforehand.  However, I would like to have it set
> up so that when someone begins to type in cell D10, it will perform a
> match entry or lookup which will allow them to select the rest of the
> word.  Once selected, the word will match the coinciding word I have
> set up in the macro and will automatically run.  Is this possible to
> do?
>
> Also, if this is possible, how would I go about applying this macro to
> old excel file spreadsheets?  Does it have something to do with saving
> it as an AddIn?
>
> Thanks
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
4/27/2004 12:38:08 AM
Thanks

I have decided to go without the match entry, but I have anothe
question though.  Here is what I want to happen:

If Range("D10").Value = "Autumn Brown" Then
'Run the macro'
Range("D12, etc").Value = "Brown"
Else If Range("D10").Value = "Charcoal" Then
'Run the macro'
Range......
End If

Now I have tried different codes such as Application.Run, and so on bu
nothing will work such that as soon as text is entered in Cell D10 an
the person moves onto the next cell it will run the macro and filte
information into the appropriate subsequent cells...without having t
manually run the macro.

I am somewhat of an amateur vba man.  Does anyone know if it i
possible to run the macro like this.

Thanks for any hel

Not sure i completely understand what you want to do but your option
are:

Use worksheet functions eg. vlookup to complete the blank cell
immediately especially if there will be multiple entries down col
that need to be calcualted.

Create a custom function in VBA if you can't ge the worksheet function
to do what you need

Trigger the macro using the worksheet_Selectionchange o
worksheet_calculate events.

Dunca

Thanks again for the help

Now that that has been figured out, is it possible to now take tha
module 1 macro and re-write it in a "personal.xls" project and have i
apply to all previous folders when a sheet is opened

There are things called application events.  You can tie into them so that you
could have one piece of code handle all the workbooks.  You may want to limit it
someway so it doesn't damage an unrelated workbook, though.

If you want to read about these application events, visit Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/AppEvent.htm

And some notes about "normal" events at:

"chief <" wrote:

> Thanks again for the help
>
> Now that that has been figured out, is it possible to now take that
> module 1 macro and re-write it in a "personal.xls" project and have it
> apply to all previous folders when a sheet is opened?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

CList problem: double entries...
I'm having trouble workin with a simple CList: the function always adds the first element twice and I don't know why. also, the later added elements do not appear immediately in the list, but only on the next function call... here is the code: ---------------- CList<CASystem, CASystem> AllCAS; CASystem *GetCreateCASystem(int ID) { bool bFound = false; CASystem *pCAS = NULL; // check if AS list exists if(AllCAS.IsEmpty()) { // create new AS pCAS = new CASystem; pCAS->ID = ID; ...

Printing an Excel doucument

Duplicate Entries #4
Hi All Can Excel somehow detect that you have two same entries within a different worksheet but in the same file? This may sound a bit ambigous, so here is an example of what I mean: say I had a file called "my_spreadshit.xls" and with in it, sheet1 and sheet2 contained some info that was the same. Can I highlight it or identify it using some search function? Cheers http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm you can use the same technique as in the above link or from the same website you can download compare.zip a utility written by Myrna Larson and Bill Manville -- Regards...

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Yet another macro question
This is what I get for trying this on my own. I just want a macro that will insert 2 blank rows at the current cursor position. Sub Insert2Rows() ' ' qrow = ActiveCell.Row Rows(qrow & ":" & grow + 1).Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown End Sub Any ideas? Thanks! Amy This should be close... Sub Insert2Rows() ActiveCell.Resize(2, 1).EntireRow.Insert End Sub -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "cvgairport" wrote: > This is what I get for trying this on my own. I just want a macro that will > insert 2 blank rows at the...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...