Excel Values problems

I'm opening an exported Crystal Reports excel file in Excel.

The file opens properly with no problems other than cell values are not
being treated as cell values. Selecting several cells with numbers in
them gives no result in the status bar area.

If I press F2 (to edit a formlua) and then enter the value is treated
as a number.

As I have thousands of cells like this, has anybody got any ideas of
why this is happening and what I can do to fix this.

I have formulas that depend on cells being treated like numbers.

Regards

Sam Benson

Hi

It seems you have data formatted as text there. Simply setting the format
for range to general or number etc. isn't enough. Two possible solutions for
you there:

1. Reset the range format. Enter number 1 into some free cell, and copy it.
Then select the range, and then PasteSpecial.Multiply.
Or
2. In your formulas, embedd all references to mentioned range(s) into
VALUE() function - something like
=SUM(VALUE(A2:A100))
(I'm not entirely sure, can you use VALUE() on range or not, but you can try
anyway)

--
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee)
Arvi Laanemets

"sbenson" <sbenson.wih4z@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> I'm opening an exported Crystal Reports excel file in Excel.
>
> The file opens properly with no problems other than cell values are not
> being treated as cell values. Selecting several cells with numbers in
> them gives no result in the status bar area.
>
> If I press F2 (to edit a formlua) and then enter the value is treated
> as a number.
>
> As I have thousands of cells like this, has anybody got any ideas of
> why this is happening and what I can do to fix this.
>
> I have formulas that depend on cells being treated like numbers.
>
> Regards
>
> Sam Benson

garbage (651)
11/7/2003 8:13:47 AM
This has been a problem with Crystal Reports excel files for years.
Crystal exports numbers to Excel as text.  Perhaps yet another complaint
to them would be in order; maybe some day they will fix this proble.

In the interim, Arvi's instructions for converting text to numbers
should do the trick.

Jerry

sbenson wrote:

> I'm opening an exported Crystal Reports excel file in Excel.
>
> The file opens properly with no problems other than cell values are not
> being treated as cell values. Selecting several cells with numbers in
> them gives no result in the status bar area.
>
> If I press F2 (to edit a formlua) and then enter the value is treated
> as a number.
>
> As I have thousands of cells like this, has anybody got any ideas of
> why this is happening and what I can do to fix this.
>
> I have formulas that depend on cells being treated like numbers.
>
> Regards
>
> Sam Benson

0
post_a_reply (1395)

Exchange update problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Inserting form values into a table

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Border problems

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception

Excel DNS query

outputting values to a range from one formula
I wish to generate a table automatically by means of a single formula that applies an iteration on a starting given value with a given step, and the computed values are posted/entered automtically into cells from a given cell onwards, say below it, until the computed value reaches a certain given limt. This is somehow the inverse of INDIRECT or of OFFSET. These can pull values from a variable addresses of cells. What I need is to push values into a variable addresses of cells. Can anyone help me on that?? Thanks. :confused -- Shafe ---------------------------------------------------------...

How can I set an alarm Excel?
I would like to set an audible alarm in Excel based on a cell value. Try this in the worksheet VBA editor. If the value of A5 is greater than 50 you get a beep. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim frequency As Long Dim duration As Long If Target <> Range("A5") Then Exit Sub If Target.Value > 50 Then frequency = 4160 duration = 1500 Call Beep(frequency, duration) End If End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Annell" <Annell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFE8AA18-3F14-4A92-941D-053922417AB2@mic...