Excel; tabbing through protected worksheet

I have a protected worksheet with several sections of merged cells.  When
selecting cells prior to protecting I select in the order I want the user to
tab.

When leaving the first merged cell by tabbing, and the user is moved to the
next cell tabbing from that cell bring you back to the previous merged cell.
I am thinking that Excel thinks it needs to go to next row of the merged cell.

Can I get over this hurddle and convince Excel to continue moving forward?

Easy workaround.

Remove the merged cells which cause no end of problems and limit
functionality...............one of which you just discovered.

Merged cells have their place.

One place I can think of is for presentation only..........no other
manipulations or functions required on that sheet.

Maybe "center across selection" will give you the look you want and still
allow full functionality.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:26:02 -0800, rvtrails
<rvtrails@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a protected worksheet with several sections of merged cells.  When
>selecting cells prior to protecting I select in the order I want the user to
>tab.
>
>When leaving the first merged cell by tabbing, and the user is moved to the
>next cell tabbing from that cell bring you back to the previous merged cell.
>I am thinking that Excel thinks it needs to go to next row of the merged cell.
>
>Can I get over this hurddle and convince Excel to continue moving forward?

0
Gord
12/19/2009 8:08:00 PM
One more tip to make a group of cells "look" merged.

Place a border around the group and set the fill color to white, which
erases the gridlines in that range.

Gord

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:08:00 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Easy workaround.
>
>Remove the merged cells which cause no end of problems and limit
>functionality...............one of which you just discovered.
>
>Merged cells have their place.
>
>One place I can think of is for presentation only..........no other
>manipulations or functions required on that sheet.
>
>Maybe "center across selection" will give you the look you want and still
>allow full functionality.
>

>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
>On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:26:02 -0800, rvtrails
><rvtrails@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a protected worksheet with several sections of merged cells.  When
>>selecting cells prior to protecting I select in the order I want the user to
>>tab.
>>
>>When leaving the first merged cell by tabbing, and the user is moved to the
>>next cell tabbing from that cell bring you back to the previous merged cell.
>>I am thinking that Excel thinks it needs to go to next row of the merged cell.
>>
>>Can I get over this hurddle and convince Excel to continue moving forward?

0
Gord

Excel icon #4
Hi All, I recently installed office premium on my xp pro machine. I cannot see the excel "X" logo on the program menu. I can see for others like "W" for word, Key for aceess and clcok for outlook. but excel comes as blank. I can't even go in the property and change icon. I tried using cd again to repair but that did not solved the problem. This is really strange. All of the office programs are working fine. Can anyone help me here ? Thanks ...

Where can I get a spanish spelling dictionary for Excel 2003?
Spain? "ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0EFB010-3369-4C41-9004-EB11DAD28115@microsoft.com... > Use tools>spelling and from the dropdown select the dictionary or use Word which probably has Spanish and French built in already -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0EFB010-3369-4C41-9004-EB11DAD28115@microsoft.com... > ...

Sum of specific cell from several worksheets
I have a workbook with 12 worksheets, one for each month of the year. I also want to add a "year to date" worksheet. Is there a simple way to take the sum and/or average of a specific cell, over the 12 month period, and carry it over to the same cell on the YTD worksheet? Example: I have a "total pay" in cell A1, on each of the 12 worksheets. I want the sum of all of the A1 cells to compute in cell A1 on the YTD worksheet. Ensure that the YTD sheet is placed outside of the group of 12 monthly sheets. Ensure that the 1st month (eg: Jan 09) and last month...

Outlook Email Help: selecting Voting button option from excel VBA
Hi All, I had a question about sending email from excel. I know we can set certain properties of outlook from excel such as "Send Receipt" ect.. But can we set an voting button option from excel? I am able to send the voting buttons through excel by doing: ..VotingOptions = "Accept;Reject" But There is an option "Have Replies Sent To" in Voting Buttons section which I want checked everytime as I want the voting responses sent to the person who requested the vote AND to one more person. Is there a way to do this from excel? To select "Hav...

Excel Sharing Problem
Hello, We have a problem with Excel Files. In the past, if you opened a file that someone else had open, it would let you know, and ask you if you wanted to open as read only or notify. Now (and I don't know when this changed), it opens normally, even when someone else has it open, but when you go to close it, it then notifies you that "Your changes could not be saved to 'Book1.xls' because of a sharing violation..." and asks if you want to save a Temporary file or lose all changes. Everything I've found on this error addresses what could be causing the fi...

strange behavior excel templates (in comparison word templates)
Hello, I have a question, In word there is the possibility to attach a template to a *.doc file. That template is specific for that doc (attached template). If you open the doc the macros in the dot will be executed. In excel there's no such thing as attached template beneath a xls (workbook). I made an Addin application and placed a template in the templates directory or another start file in the start directory but in all that cases you start the macros in all the xls files you open. I want to open the macros only when a specific xls (example test.xls) is opened and not by another one (o...

Excel
Is it possible to convert day of year to date format (assuming all date are 2004) e.g. 001 to 01 January 2002 or 366 to 31 December 200 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try =DATE(2004,1,your_value) Frank > Is it possible to convert day of year to date format (assuming all > dates are 2004) > e.g. 001 to 01 January 2002 > or 366 to 31 December 2004 > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Thanks Frank this works perfectl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Farsi, Pashto, or Dari Excel 2007 Manual?
I am looking for a hard copy manual for Excel 2007 in Farsi, Pashto, or Dari. I'm in Afghanistan trying to help some folks with Excel basics. A manual would be great! I found some Arabic online training that I can print out, but have a real need for Farsi, Pashto or Dari. Thanks! ...

Transferring text from one worksheet to another
I am needing to know how to copy text from a column in one worksheet into a column in another worksheet based on matching information in a different column. For example, I have a list of names in two different worksheets. One list is about 3,200 rows long. The other list is 800 rows long. I need to searth the longer list to match up names from the shorter list and pull the employee numbers over from the longer list and paste them into a column in the shorter list. Hopefully this makes sense. See if this works for you. Assuming that your list of database is in Sheet 1 and t...

Worksheet Calc Gets Stopped When Sheet is Clicked
The worksheet I'm working with has thousands of formulas, so if the calculation stops, I need to restart the entire process. If I even attempt to access a menu item or drag the window around on the screen, even minimize the window, all calcs stop. Is there anyway to protect the spreadsheet from being interrupted so easily? I don't think so. In fact, I think many depend on this feature. Instead of waiting for the calculation process to finish, the user can just go to the next cell and start inputting more data. You may want to turn calculation to manual so xl doesn't even try...

changing tab color conditionally
I have a Workbook that contains several pages. Each page represents a different style of product. When my customer sends in an order I place the order quantity in a certain named cell on the corresponding worksheet. Is there a way that I can format the tab to change color if the quantity of the named cell is greater than 0? Thanks in advance. -- ldd ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ldd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19157 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=378510 You ...

Error Message When Opening Excel #3
Everytime i open Excel or an Excel document, i get the following error message: "SUMIF.XLA is already open. Reopening will cause any change you made to be discarded. Do you want to reopen SUMIF.XLA?" Whether i answer YES or NO, the application will open normally. It is just very annouying.. HELP -- W Walid You could try looking under Tools>Add ins... and then uncheck anything, then check back those that were checked one at a time, close and re-open excel, when the error comes back, that's the faulty add-in, either go to the vendor or unload the add-in if you don&#...

Excel to store history information and display a count of reschedules
Hi, I currently copy data from a system into an excel spreadsheet on a weekly basis, used to store a history of implementation records. For each record I store a unique ID, target date, owner, description, category, approval status and a result. Each week I create a new worksheet/tab with the date for the name. Each implemenation will take about 3 weeks and therefore the data will be repeated in about 3 worksheets, albeit with slight changes to approval status, target date or descriptions. What I want to do is to calculate, for each record (implementation), the amount of times the target dat...

How do I merge in a selected range of cells out of Excel?
copy / right click / insert copied cells ...

www.exciter.gr: Custom Excel Applications
For individuals and companies that search for powerful excel tools: you can visit www.exciter.gr and download some demos like Mail Label Printing, Decision Analysis tool, Personnel Shifts Programming, Dynamic Graphs and more. All tools are prices by the project and not by the hour! ...

Big Help Needed Excel '95
A friend has a simple spreadsheet with 6 tabs along the bottom. Win 95 and Office 95 installed. One of the Tabbed sheets had a HUGE list of items and he "hit some key" and wiped out the data in the sheet. Doesn't know what he did and worse still saved the file and exited. Has no back-up! He can't duplicate what he did or even know what he did. I appreciate the data is probably lost, but my query is that the sheet, when you click the Tab shows no cell lines at all, no data obviously, but no cells at all? There are line numbers down the left side that you can click...

in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?
When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the background color of cells that are selected? Thanks. Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it. I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help some. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely >tell whic...

Password Protect
I'm sure there is a simple process for this but.. I want to Password Protect an Excel file so that the user is unable t see any data until the correct password has been entered. I do not wan the user to have a Read-Only option either. Any suggestions? Thanks And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com All you need to do when protecting an Excel file is: 1. File 2. Save As 3. Tools (Top right hand corner) 4. General Options 5. File Sharing >> Passwor -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Copy data from one worksheet to another.. but not contiguous data
I have searched through everything looking for a simple answer to what seems a simple task.. but I have not been lucky thus far... Worksheet1 Column G Row 1-14 nothing needed Row 5 Data #1 Row 10 Data #2 Row 15 Data #3 .... Row 2200 Data ... I am trying to take data from worksheet #1 starting at G5 then every 5 cells until row 2200 and put it in a seperate Worksheet in order... Worksheet2 Column C Row 1-10 nothing pasted Row 11 Data #1 Row 12 Data #2 Row 13 Data #3 .... Row 370 Data #... I could do it by hand, but it is a pain to do 370 entries. I have been trying with Indirect and Offse...

Excel auto opens last saved file.
How do I stop excel from opening the last file that was saved prior to closing Excel? There has to be a check box some where, right?? This isn't usual behavior. Where are you storing this file and how are you starting excel? Ducky wrote: > > How do I stop excel from opening the last file that was saved prior to > closing Excel? > There has to be a check box some where, right?? -- Dave Peterson ...

how to open email from opt on line to excel
We have optimum on line as our internet server and have purchased the MIcrosoft 2003 Standard office version.. have installed the programs but now have received an email which would require excel program and can't seem to open the spreadsheet .. do we need to collate our email address with excel in order to open this email or can we still use opt on line email and get it to open in excel.. we need this explained in very laymans terms as we are not computer literate.. Danny Is the Excel spreadsheet an attachment? If you aren't sure, perhaps you need to check with your ISP ...

converting .rtf info to excel 2002
Thank you in advance for your help. I have an address label file in .rtf format. It has 3 X 10 labels on one page totally about 14,000 address labels. I wanted to convert it into MS Excel 2002 so i can get under one column the first name, the second column the last name, the thrid column the street address and so on. How do I do this in excel 2002? I tried using the Edit, Past Special, Paste as Text function but the data is not user friendly. By using this approach, I will have to use brute force in cutting and pasting names and addresses in the respective columns described above. N...

Excel opening but file does not open with Application
Using Excel in Office XP running on Windows XP Double Click on *.xls file, Excel opens but does not open the file. Must then click on File Open. No errors are displayed. Tried Un-Install and Re-Install, Also looked at file associations. And you're sure the workbook isn't being opened??? Windows|arrange|tiled doesn't show it??? If no, then sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver &...

Adding gifs to excel
Hello all excel mates Id like to know if its possible to add gifs to excel, when i add them as a image the gif is show with out motion. I do not want to save the file as html because then i can not search the whole document / sheets for a single word as when i search for a word on an excel file and not html i can select the search in work book from the advanced options. Please help. -- rmetanes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rmetanes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28615 View this thread: http://www....

Analyse With MS Excel
Any help on this one would sure be appreciate, we are completely stumped. We have a user with one of our clients running Windows XP with a full copy of Access 2000 installed on her system. If she tries, from any of the reports she pulls up in the MDE that we have written, to use the built in Access analyze with Excel button an error pops up saying: "[PROGRAM NAME] can't complete the Output operation. The Visual Basic code you entered contains a syntax error or the Output procedures are not available. Make sure that there isn't a syntax error in your code. If the syntax is c...