Excel Spreadsheets Reformat Question

I have a disk full of Excel files; I suspect they were created by exporting
from an accounting program to Excel to share the financial information with
others.  Each of these files needs to be PDFd and Bates stamped for
production in a legal matter.  The problem is this: every single one of these
Excel files is not formatted to display all of the information - in order to
get a readable page, the columns need to be reformatted to display all of the
information contained in each of them, then saved.  There are literally
hundreds of these files; would there be an easier way of getting these things
formatted so all of the information is readable besides opening every single
one of them, reformatting, and then saving again?

Thanks very much.

JeanneJo.

Probably the easiest way would be to take just one of them and record a macro
while going through it and performing all of the reformatting that has to be
done.

At that point (and assuming all of the others are generally laid out the
same way: have same sheet names that need to be worked with, and same columns
used for same purposes, etc), you'd probably come back here and ask "I have
this great recorded macro... how do I get it to work on all workbooks in a
folder?"  And you'd post the macro code that was recorded.

Then someone is going to come along and show you how to 'wrap' that macro
inside of a routine that will let you identify the folder with all of the
files in it and open each file in turn and process them with the code from
your macro, and save the reformatted file.

Yes, you can get in touch with me about this at (remove spaces)
Help From @ JLatham Site.com
(but preferably not until after you've recorded the macro).

Of course, if each workbook is really unique with regards to sheet naming
and layout, then you could be in for a really long weekend.

"JeanneJo" wrote:

> I have a disk full of Excel files; I suspect they were created by exporting
> from an accounting program to Excel to share the financial information with
> others.  Each of these files needs to be PDFd and Bates stamped for
> production in a legal matter.  The problem is this: every single one of these
> Excel files is not formatted to display all of the information - in order to
> get a readable page, the columns need to be reformatted to display all of the
> information contained in each of them, then saved.  There are literally
> hundreds of these files; would there be an easier way of getting these things
> formatted so all of the information is readable besides opening every single
> one of them, reformatting, and then saving again?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> JeanneJo.
Wow - I was afraid of that.  I've run into this many times and finally
decided to ask, although I was pretty certain "simple" wasn't going to be the
answer.  There are, of course, a variety of types of information exported to
Excel in this particular project - usually 12 months worth of for instance
check reconciliation, receivables, income, and so forth.  I'll have to delve
a little deeper into what exactly I have here - I just picked a folder and
started in.

I will contact you if I can't get this mastered on my own.  I appreciate
your response, and thanks very much.

JeanneJo

"JLatham" wrote:

> Probably the easiest way would be to take just one of them and record a macro
> while going through it and performing all of the reformatting that has to be
> done.
>
> At that point (and assuming all of the others are generally laid out the
> same way: have same sheet names that need to be worked with, and same columns
> used for same purposes, etc), you'd probably come back here and ask "I have
> this great recorded macro... how do I get it to work on all workbooks in a
> folder?"  And you'd post the macro code that was recorded.
>
> Then someone is going to come along and show you how to 'wrap' that macro
> inside of a routine that will let you identify the folder with all of the
> files in it and open each file in turn and process them with the code from
> your macro, and save the reformatted file.
>
> Yes, you can get in touch with me about this at (remove spaces)
> Help From @ JLatham Site.com
> (but preferably not until after you've recorded the macro).
>
> Of course, if each workbook is really unique with regards to sheet naming
> and layout, then you could be in for a really long weekend.
>

> "JeanneJo" wrote:
>
> > I have a disk full of Excel files; I suspect they were created by exporting
> > from an accounting program to Excel to share the financial information with
> > others.  Each of these files needs to be PDFd and Bates stamped for
> > production in a legal matter.  The problem is this: every single one of these
> > Excel files is not formatted to display all of the information - in order to
> > get a readable page, the columns need to be reformatted to display all of the
> > information contained in each of them, then saved.  There are literally
> > hundreds of these files; would there be an easier way of getting these things
> > formatted so all of the information is readable besides opening every single
> > one of them, reformatting, and then saving again?
> >
> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > JeanneJo.
Ok, if you do need to get in touch, go ahead, just be sure to reference this
discussion and maybe even copy your initial post into the email, or provide a
link to this to remind me of what it's all about.

Of course, you could start an "Intern Program" and get some
wanna-be-a-federal-judge-someday to come in and do the work for cheap! <g>

Responding in this discussion is pretty useless - it no longer sends
notifications that responses to posts have been made!

"JeanneJo" wrote:

> Wow - I was afraid of that.  I've run into this many times and finally
> decided to ask, although I was pretty certain "simple" wasn't going to be the
> answer.  There are, of course, a variety of types of information exported to
> Excel in this particular project - usually 12 months worth of for instance
> check reconciliation, receivables, income, and so forth.  I'll have to delve
> a little deeper into what exactly I have here - I just picked a folder and
> started in.
>
> I will contact you if I can't get this mastered on my own.  I appreciate
> your response, and thanks very much.
>
> JeanneJo
>
> "JLatham" wrote:
>
> > Probably the easiest way would be to take just one of them and record a macro
> > while going through it and performing all of the reformatting that has to be
> > done.
> >
> > At that point (and assuming all of the others are generally laid out the
> > same way: have same sheet names that need to be worked with, and same columns
> > used for same purposes, etc), you'd probably come back here and ask "I have
> > this great recorded macro... how do I get it to work on all workbooks in a
> > folder?"  And you'd post the macro code that was recorded.
> >
> > Then someone is going to come along and show you how to 'wrap' that macro
> > inside of a routine that will let you identify the folder with all of the
> > files in it and open each file in turn and process them with the code from
> > your macro, and save the reformatted file.
> >
> > Yes, you can get in touch with me about this at (remove spaces)
> > Help From @ JLatham Site.com
> > (but preferably not until after you've recorded the macro).
> >
> > Of course, if each workbook is really unique with regards to sheet naming
> > and layout, then you could be in for a really long weekend.
> >

> > "JeanneJo" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a disk full of Excel files; I suspect they were created by exporting
> > > from an accounting program to Excel to share the financial information with
> > > others.  Each of these files needs to be PDFd and Bates stamped for
> > > production in a legal matter.  The problem is this: every single one of these
> > > Excel files is not formatted to display all of the information - in order to
> > > get a readable page, the columns need to be reformatted to display all of the
> > > information contained in each of them, then saved.  There are literally
> > > hundreds of these files; would there be an easier way of getting these things
> > > formatted so all of the information is readable besides opening every single
> > > one of them, reformatting, and then saving again?
> > >
> > > Thanks very much.
> > >
> > > JeanneJo.

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

mail-enabled user question
Hi, everyone. I created mailbox-enabled user accounts for all employees and mail-enabled user accounts for external clients. when i tried to forward those mail-enabled accounts with their external account like abc@hotmail.com, there is no such an option on the client account properties panel. i was told to setup mailbox enabled accounts for the clients and disable those accounts. I can certainly do that, but just want to differentiate two types of accounts by creating mail-enabled accounts for them. Is there anyway to use mail-enabled account to do mail forwading. i'm pretty new...

excel axes

Removed content in right columns and limited size of spreadsheet
I was trying to get rid of the contents in the columns to the right of my spreadsheet and instead I accidently deleted everything to the right (area is now grey). Now I can't insert new columns because I have limited the size of the spreadsheet. How can I recover columns to the right? I can't just click undo because I have saved and gone out of the spreadsheet. The data in deleted columns is lost I do not understand how you think you have limited the size of the worksheet That is not possible tell us more best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/...

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

a few basic Exchange 2003 questions
Hello all, I have been given the responsibility of implementing Exchange 2003 for our company in March this year. I will be going on a five day training course soon and have been doing some reading - I also have experience in the administration (not installation/configuration) of Exchange 2000 some years ago. There are a few questions I would like to ask, if anyone can answer them of the top of their heads. 1. what is the basic capacity of a single Exchange 2003 Standard - I'm thinking it can cope with about 500-2500 mailboxes/users 2. can the OWA part of it use pass-through authentifi...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Was this post helpful to you?
Hi gang, Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post helpful to you? " In a case where I posted a question and received numerous helpful responses, which collectively provided the final solution, do I select Yes for each response that was helpful, or just select Yes on the very last post when the topic has ended? Thanks Peter On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:44:01 -0700, Petermgr <Petermgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi gang, > >Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post >helpful to you? "...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Yet another macro question
This is what I get for trying this on my own. I just want a macro that will insert 2 blank rows at the current cursor position. Sub Insert2Rows() ' ' qrow = ActiveCell.Row Rows(qrow & ":" & grow + 1).Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown End Sub Any ideas? Thanks! Amy This should be close... Sub Insert2Rows() ActiveCell.Resize(2, 1).EntireRow.Insert End Sub -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "cvgairport" wrote: > This is what I get for trying this on my own. I just want a macro that will > insert 2 blank rows at the...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...