EXCEL: Separating data from 1 cell into multiple cells

I have thousands of cells in a report with information that I need to
separate into different cells.

Ex. one cell:    Arch  |  South  |  All Points  |  Extreme

I need an automated way to get each of the 4 names separated by "|" into its
own cell.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Heather  (heatherjoslyn@yahoo.com)

Hi,
Highlight the column, Text to columns, Delimited, next, check only the Other
box and copy your | in the box beside it, next, finish

"HeatherJ" wrote:

> I have thousands of cells in a report with information that I need to
> separate into different cells.
>
> Ex. one cell:    Arch  |  South  |  All Points  |  Extreme
>
> I need an automated way to get each of the 4 names separated by "|" into its
> own cell.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Heather  (heatherjoslyn@yahoo.com)
Just in case you are having trouble finding the | to insert in the delimiter
box, it's the upper case of the key directly below the Backspace key on a
standard US keyboard.  It shows as a vertical broken line on my keyboard.
(Lower case on that same key is the back-slash)

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"HeatherJ" <HeatherJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have thousands of cells in a report with information that I need to
> separate into different cells.
>
> Ex. one cell:    Arch  |  South  |  All Points  |  Extreme
>
> I need an automated way to get each of the 4 names separated by "|" into
> its
> own cell.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Heather  (heatherjoslyn@yahoo.com)

Thanks, perfect!

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Hi,
> Highlight the column, Text to columns, Delimited, next, check only the Other
> box and copy your | in the box beside it, next, finish
>
> "HeatherJ" wrote:
>
> > I have thousands of cells in a report with information that I need to
> > separate into different cells.
> >
> > Ex. one cell:    Arch  |  South  |  All Points  |  Extreme
> >
> > I need an automated way to get each of the 4 names separated by "|" into its
> > own cell.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Heather  (heatherjoslyn@yahoo.com)
Called a "pipe"

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:44:07 -0800, "L. Howard Kittle"
<lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote:

>Just in case you are having trouble finding the | to insert in the delimiter
>box, it's the upper case of the key directly below the Backspace key on a
>standard US keyboard.  It shows as a vertical broken line on my keyboard.
>(Lower case on that same key is the back-slash)
>
>HTH
>Regards,
>Howard
>
>"HeatherJ" <HeatherJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have thousands of cells in a report with information that I need to
>> separate into different cells.
>>
>> Ex. one cell:    Arch  |  South  |  All Points  |  Extreme
>>
>> I need an automated way to get each of the 4 names separated by "|" into
>> its
>> own cell.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thanks,
>> Heather  (heatherjoslyn@yahoo.com)

0
Gord
11/19/2009 5:57:07 PM
I've never heard of that... thanks, learn something every day.

Howard

> Called a "pipe"
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:44:07 -0800, "L. Howard Kittle"
> <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Just in case you are having trouble finding the | to insert in the
>>delimiter
>>box, it's the upper case of the key directly below the Backspace key on a
>>standard US keyboard.  It shows as a vertical broken line on my keyboard.
>>(Lower case on that same key is the back-slash)
>>
>>HTH
>>Regards,
>>Howard
>>
>>"HeatherJ" <HeatherJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have thousands of cells in a report with information that I need to
>>> separate into different cells.
>>>
>>> Ex. one cell:    Arch  |  South  |  All Points  |  Extreme
>>>
>>> I need an automated way to get each of the 4 names separated by "|" into
>>> its
>>> own cell.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Heather  (heatherjoslyn@yahoo.com)

Extract emails from cells with text
I have a row in column A which includes an email address in the text that I'd like to extract to column B. Is there a formula I can use to accomplish extracting the email address only to column B? Here's an example of different cells in column A: Please email example@law.ufl.edu to contact us...... OR Schedule an appointment for assistance, or email example@uga.edu with your questions... Thank you Try this... All on one line: =TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND (" ",A1&" ",FIND("@",A1))-1)," ", REPT(" ",...

CRM 1.2 Too Slow to be usuable
This application is just to slow to be usable in a production environment. If a user has not done a query recently, it takes 2-3 minutes to bring up data. This makes it useless, for all intents and purposes, live while on the phone. Do you have any third party tools added to CRM? "John" wrote: > This application is just to slow to be usable in a production environment. > > If a user has not done a query recently, it takes 2-3 minutes to bring up > data. > This makes it useless, for all intents and purposes, live while on the phone. > Nope. This is an out-o...

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

how do i form 2 lines in 1 row?
I'm guessing you're looking to force text in a cell to wrap into the next line of the same cell. If that's true...... Edit the text and move the insertion point to where you want to wrap the text. Hold down the [Alt] key and press [Enter] Does that help? ---------------------------------- Regards, Ron Microsoft MVP (Excel) "MSEXCELROOKIE" <MSEXCELROOKIE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:951AA059-1613-4A62-AAA6-7890AF6F84A6@microsoft.com... > In one cell type this is line one then Alt + ENTER then type this is line two. The Alt ...

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Creating a Chart from Cells that use a List Box
Hi, I am trying to create a number of charts (e.g., pie, line etc) based on data that is slelected from a list box (i.e., data validation). What i would like to do is create the charts before any data is entered (if that makes sense) and as data is entered the charts will display this. ...

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

import data to sales
Hello! I'm relatively a newbie to GP (less than a year; used SQL much longer). I have to import data from our order software into GP (by way of Access): TRX > SALES TRX > SALES TRX ENTRY > ORDER (before anything is transferred to an invoice and posted). I have done database traces and have come up with an overwhelming # of tables where I'd enter data directly into GP SQL tables. I think I only need the SOP10103, SOP10100, SOP10200, SOP10104 tables but am afraid of missing tables (such as where the Distribution > Distribution Reference accounts info is). The trace als...

Email from Excel #3

Exporting CRM data/cases
Hi...I'd like to export my data/cases from CRM and need help in identifying a table (SQL) that would contain all data, including notes and attachments. I know there's an AnnotationsBase table and assume that's where the notes/attachments are but cannot find a way to link them back to the actual case. Thoughts? For each entity you have a so called "filtered view" in the <company name>_MSCRM database. This views are "supported" way of getting data from CRM. KTF wrote: > Hi...I'd like to export my data/cases from CRM and need help in identifyi...

version excel

How can I set up a student data base using word 2003?
I am a music teacher and would like to set up a data base for my students including information regarding - exams, competitions and results. Names, ages, birthday reminders, parents details and goods and services delivered. I use Microsoft Office 2003. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks. Decide what you want to keep track of and put each piece of information into separate cells. And one row per entry--don't put the data for one person on multiple rows. Try to keep your data on a single worksheet. If you thought that you'd want multiple worksheets (one for each class),...

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Don't Plot Point but leave in Data Table
I don't want to plot a couple of points in my chart but like to keep them in the data table. How can I accomplish in MS 2007? EXCEL 2007 Try the following (I have a bar chart on the screen in front of me as I do this. It has 9 countries on the Y axis; I will remove 2 of those countries). 1. Click the graph to highlight it. 2. Select Data. Select Data Source window launches. 3. Hit the:- Switch Row / Column button 4. I now have my countries in a list on the left hand side. - click on France and hit Remove - click on Germany and hit Remove 5. Hit t...