Excel Newbie-Simple Question Regarding Numbers Formats

Trying to enter positive numbers (no decimal places)
into cells that start with the number zero.No luck.

Tried "Help"...couldn't figure it out (after 30 minutes).

Can somebody walk me through it? I'm using Excel 2000.

TIA!

The only way I know a number starting with zero (0) can be entered in
cell without losing the 0 is to put an apostrophe before entering th
number, e.g.

'012345

and this will register in the cell as 012345. But then, technically
this is not in a number format. This will be a text.

BTW, how can a number starting with 0 not have a decimal place in fron
of it? I am just wondering.

Frank Lodge wrote:
> *Trying to enter positive numbers (no decimal places)
> into cells that start with the number zero.No luck.
>
> Tried "Help"...couldn't figure it out (after 30 minutes).
>
> Can somebody walk me through it? I'm using Excel 2000.
>
> TIA!

I don't know if this'll work, but can you format the cell(s) a 'special
and then zip code. I know it will then keep the 0 in the eastern zi
codes

If the numbers won't be used for calculations, you can type an
apostrophe at the start of the number, e.g.  '0123
The apostrophe won't be visible in the cell.

Or, use a custom number format:
Select the cells
Choose Format>Cells
On the Number tab, select the Custom category
In the text box, type zeros for the number of digits that you need.
   For example, for 00034 in your cells, type  00000
    in the text box
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Printing an Excel doucument

Newbie: How to Access Controls on a Dialog
I'm making my first stab at an MFC program. Basically a dialog box with some controls. I started out with basic edit boxes placed on the main dialog using the resource editor in VC++ (6.0). To set text, I have been using the SetDlgItemText(IDC_MYEDITBOX, "Sample Text"). Works fine. Now I working with Check Boxes. Okay, placed it using the dialog editor. Looked for some sort of equivalent to SetDlgItemText to check and uncheck the box using the control ID ("IDC_MYFIRSTCHECKBOX"). Nothing. Reading through Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC"...

Windows Update

Inclusive number of days and running total
Hi, I have a column of start dates (B) and a column of end dates (C). I would like to have the inclusive total of days. I would then like to have a running total of days for the callendar year as well as the total for any year and a grand total. Have been playing with DATEDIF but no luck so far. Cheers, Chris Just subtract the date in C from the date in B and format as General. Then SUM as required. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.c...

mail-enabled user question
Hi, everyone. I created mailbox-enabled user accounts for all employees and mail-enabled user accounts for external clients. when i tried to forward those mail-enabled accounts with their external account like abc@hotmail.com, there is no such an option on the client account properties panel. i was told to setup mailbox enabled accounts for the clients and disable those accounts. I can certainly do that, but just want to differentiate two types of accounts by creating mail-enabled accounts for them. Is there anyway to use mail-enabled account to do mail forwading. i'm pretty new...

excel axes

Auto Number in List Control
What code can I use to automatically display a number, or preferably, text that will display the same "receipt number" as the previous record or the next successive number. For example, I enter a receipt number in a record...when I start the next record, on a form, I want to be able to click in a list box the same receipt number as before or the next receipt number, which would be just the next number in line. -- Gator ...

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

How to turn whole page into JPEG format
I want to send a page made with Publisher 2000 with email. Because of the amount of the pictures it is 89 MB so I have to make it smaller and I do not want the receiver to be able to change anything on the page. Somebody told me to do this I can save the whole page as a picture and it will be secured and small file size. But how can I do this? Suzanne, Crete, Greece <Suzanne, Crete, Greece@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to send a page made with Publisher 2000 with email. Because of > the amount of the pictures it is 89 MB so I have to mak...

configure hyperlink formatting
I have added a special formatting to a cell and also the value it shows. When I make this cell as a hyperlink to another sheet (Ctrl-K) then Excel automatically changes the formatting of the cell (It achanges the font size, added underline, and when one clicks the hyperlink - the color also changes.) I want the hyperlink *to change nothing in the formatting* Is there a way to do that? Thanks! -- snoach ------------------------------------------------------------------------ snoach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23795 View this thread: http...

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

a few basic Exchange 2003 questions
Hello all, I have been given the responsibility of implementing Exchange 2003 for our company in March this year. I will be going on a five day training course soon and have been doing some reading - I also have experience in the administration (not installation/configuration) of Exchange 2000 some years ago. There are a few questions I would like to ask, if anyone can answer them of the top of their heads. 1. what is the basic capacity of a single Exchange 2003 Standard - I'm thinking it can cope with about 500-2500 mailboxes/users 2. can the OWA part of it use pass-through authentifi...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...