Excel is always opening the same file - how to fix?

Hi,

No matter what file I try and open, Excel launches and opens the sam
.xls file on the computer.  This occurs when trying to open an .xls o
.xlt file.

The Tools > Options default file location is pointing to the M
Documents folder which seems correct.

Any ideas why this would be happening or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Chri

Check your XLSTART folder.  Is the file there?

"newengland >" <<newengland.17wo52@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> No matter what file I try and open, Excel launches and opens the same
> xls file on the computer.  This occurs when trying to open an .xls or
> xlt file.
>
> The Tools > Options default file location is pointing to the My
> Documents folder which seems correct.
>
> Any ideas why this would be happening or how to fix it?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Chris
>

> ---

jtfreed1 (13)
6/15/2004 7:00:44 PM
this is Win XP - Office XP.

problem occurs whenever clicking on any file name or when opening Exce
itself.  once this specific file is open, however, you can then ope
any other xls or xlt file on the machine in the usual fashion.

you can close specific file in question, then use file > open to ope
any file in the usual way.

path to launch Excel is to Excel.exe /e with no file name appended.

thanks again for assistance

thank you, that solved the problem.  evidently this is a new feature t
excel xp that I was not aware of

Files opening from the XLSTART folder has been a feature of Excel through many
versions before XP.

You just never got bitten before.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:47:49 -0500, newengland
<<newengland.17yo5n@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

>thank you, that solved the problem.  evidently this is a new feature to
>excel xp that I was not aware of.
>

>---

Gord

Filter to select from various fields on opening a form
I have a form called TDC and want to filter data in the following fields on opening the form: DiaryAction (text field); DiaryCategory (text field); DiarySubCategory (text field); Company (text field); ContactType (text field); DiaryItemClosed (a Yes/No field). At the same time, I want the option not to select anything in each of these fields. Please could somebody give me the steps to do this. I am doing this in Access 2007, but am creating it as an Access 2003 database. Thank you for any help. I meant to say that I want this from dropdown boxes, but forgot to say becau...

Printing an Excel doucument

Can�t open some mail in Exchange 2003
Hi! I�m using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2000 and 2003 I have some mail that I can�t open, I get the error "Can�t open this item, The operation failed." I can view, delete or take backup on the mails. I have tried to resote an old backup, the I get two mails with the exact same name, I can open the restored mail, but still not the orginal. How can I delete the bad mails? Is their a tool to check all the mailboxes for errors in Exchange 2003. Best regards Joakim Sweden ISINTEG will help you. Make sure that you have usable backup before you start. Jocke wrote: > Hi! > &g...

Error opening form
Hi, I am trying to open a form from a switchboard and I get this error message: "MSACCESS exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I restart the computer and it's fixed. but it keeps happening. Does anyone know the solution? I have Microsoft Office 2000 thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200709/1 There are many, many things that could be causing this. Work through the list in this article: Preventing corruption ...

Windows Update

unable to open outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi , i'm unable to open my Outlook 2003 , it gives error = message as "cannot start microsoft office outlook 2003,unable to open = the outlook window. the set of folders could not be opened . the server = is not available " plz help me to fix this issue With Regards, Ramesh.C ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"...

excel axes

total size of files
I need a script to find out the number & total size of files based upon the file extention across about 30 servers. I'm searching for mdb files. The script will be run remotely against local drives on these servers. Thanks On Nov 18, 10:19=A0am, Tom1 <usernetu...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I need a script to find out the number & total size of files based > upon the file extention across about 30 servers. I'm searching for mdb > files. The script will be run remotely against local drives on these > servers. Thanks <warning> <aircode> with ...

Excel program

Money 2006 Budget Fixed?
I am the sucker that Microsoft creates their "New" and "Improved" versions of money for. I have bought each new addition of Money for the past 4 years now. Each year there are not very many differences from the year before but I use it so often I justify the $20 cost to buy it... Now, my biggest gripe is with the Budget Planner. My projected budget goes all out of whack when I make a change to one of my automatic payments. IE If I change my salary from 1k a month to 2k a month my budget will show that I now am suppose to make 3k a month (Basically it stores the old ...

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

When creating a new Budget, it always picks up my old pay stub information
I've been using MS Money since 2002 and have upgraded several versions up to 2006. In this version, when I try and create a new advanced budget, it automatically populates all the categories that are associated with my pay check (i.e. Gross Pay, Federal Taxes, Medicare, etc.). The only problem is, it's picking up my paycheck from several years back and I have no way of removing it. When I try and click on and edit those items in Budget, the screen just refreshes and nothing happens. I'm unable to delete those entries. What I want to do is enter all my budget items manually. B...

version excel

outlook .dbx files
I have old .dbx files/folders with as much as 654,000K in them. Are these old emails and if so, how can I access them to see what they contain? ...

Publisher 2007 crashes when trying to open website created with 20
One of my websites works with 2007 because it was named index.html within its file but the other doesn't that was named by its name.pub, I tried to rename it index.html but it didn't work, its icon became one of IE instead of Publisher like my first website. I ran office diagnostics and no error was found. Any help much appreciated. ...

double line spacing using excel 2000