Excel formula divide list of #s by N to get a number above 40

I have a list of numbers.  I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers
are at least 40 or above.  Is there a formula that will find such a number?
0
JudyK (3)

Hi

=MAX(40,A1/N)

Arvi Laanemets

"JudyK" <JudyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of numbers.  I need to divide each of those numbers by the
same
> number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the
numbers
> are at least 40 or above.  Is there a formula that will find such a
number?

I am assuming yor list is in A1:A100, and all of the numbers are greater than
0. If we take smallest value in that range and divide it by N, choosing N so
that the result is = 40, then by definition all larger numbers, when divided
by N, will give a result > 40.

In other words, you want to start with this equation

  MIN(A1:A100)/N = 40

and solve it for the value of N:

  N = MIN(A1:A100)/40

So you want to divide by MIN(A1:A100)/40, i.e.

  =A1/(MIN(A1:A20)/40)

PS: This problem has no solution if the list contains both positive and
negative numbers: a negative number would have to be divided by a negative
number to get a result >= +40, whereas positive numbers have to be divided by
a positive number.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:05:02 -0800, "JudyK" <JudyK@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a list of numbers.  I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
>number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers
>are at least 40 or above.  Is there a formula that will find such a number?

0
anonymous (74717)
2/8/2005 10:59:44 PM
Hi, Arvi:

If I understand correctly, all numbers in the list are to be divided by N. She
needs to determine the value of N. I don't think your formula will do that,
will it? N is a variable in your equation.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:23:20 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <arvilaanemets@hot.ee>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>=MAX(40,A1/N)
>
>Arvi Laanemets
>

>"JudyK" <JudyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a list of numbers.  I need to divide each of those numbers by the
>same
>> number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the
>numbers
>> are at least 40 or above.  Is there a formula that will find such a
>number?

0
anonymous (74717)
2/8/2005 11:02:20 PM
Hi

OP can replace N with any value, or formula, or cell reference! Formulas can
depend on data type, but never on their orign . :-)

--
When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee
Arvi Laanemets

"Myrna Larson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Arvi:
>
> If I understand correctly, all numbers in the list are to be divided by N.
She
> needs to determine the value of N. I don't think your formula will do
that,
> will it? N is a variable in your equation.
>
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:23:20 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <arvilaanemets@hot.ee>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >=MAX(40,A1/N)
> >
> >Arvi Laanemets
> >

> >"JudyK" <JudyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a list of numbers.  I need to divide each of those numbers by
the
> >same
> >> number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the
> >numbers
> >> are at least 40 or above.  Is there a formula that will find such a
> >number?

0
garbage (650)

Arvi Laanemets wrote:
> OP can replace N with any value, or formula, or cell
> reference!

I would agree that Judy's question was very difficult
to understand.  But I think Myrna got it right.

Judy wrote:  "Is there a formula that will find such a
number?"

What number?  Judy wrote:  "I have a list of numbers.
I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in
which all of the numbers are at least 40 or above."

Translation:  Judy wants to find an N such that when
each number in a list is divided by N, the result of
the division will be no less than 40.

Myrna's formula will do just that.  It is very elegant
and very obvious at the same time.

Arvi's formula does force the result to be no less than
40.  But that does not seem to be what Judy asked for.

Of course, Judy might have simply misstated the problem
she is trying to solve.

0
joeu2004 (766)
2/9/2005 8:07:21 AM
Hi

<joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What number?  Judy wrote:  "I have a list of numbers.
> I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
> number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in
> which all of the numbers are at least 40 or above."
>
> Translation:  Judy wants to find an N such that when
> each number in a list is divided by N, the result of
> the division will be no less than 40.

My translation: Judy wants to create a new list of numbers, where every
value is N times less than previous one, but not less than 40, i.e. when
N=10 and old value was 800, then the new one will be 80, when old value was
400, the new value is 40, but when old value is p.e. 100, then the new value
will be 40 again.
Of-course OP has to copy mu formula to range (down the column).

--
When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee
Arvi Laanemets

0
garbage (650)
2/9/2005 10:54:49 AM
Yes, but the question is HOW TO CALCULATE N. What is the "value, or formula or
cell reference" supposed to be?

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:02:53 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote:

>Hi
>
>OP can replace N with any value, or formula, or cell reference! Formulas can
>depend on data type, but never on their orign . :-)

0
anonymous (74717)
2/9/2005 6:07:56 PM
I think your translation is faulty.

She said "I need to divide each of those numbers by the same number". I don't
see any ambiguity in that statement. N is a constant. Every number in the new
list

  =OriginalNumber/N

That's not what you are doing. You are dividing 800 by 10, and 400 by 10, but
you are dividing 100 by 2.5. N is 10 in the 1st 2 cases, 2.5 in the 3rd.

   10 <> 2.5

That's not what she said she wanted.

BTW, the formula I proposed for calculating N gives the SMALLEST possible
value of N. Any number, x, where 0 < x <=N will also suffice.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:54:49 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote:

>Hi
>

><joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> What number?  Judy wrote:  "I have a list of numbers.
>> I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
>> number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in
>> which all of the numbers are at least 40 or above."
>>
>> Translation:  Judy wants to find an N such that when
>> each number in a list is divided by N, the result of
>> the division will be no less than 40.
>
>My translation: Judy wants to create a new list of numbers, where every
>value is N times less than previous one, but not less than 40, i.e. when
>N=10 and old value was 800, then the new one will be 80, when old value was
>400, the new value is 40, but when old value is p.e. 100, then the new value
>will be 40 again.
>Of-course OP has to copy mu formula to range (down the column).

0
anonymous (74717)
2/9/2005 6:17:08 PM
Hi

For OP, as follows from message, N is some constant, the value of which she
didn't share with us

> Yes, but the question is HOW TO CALCULATE N. What is the "value, or
formula or
> cell reference" supposed to be?
>

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:02:53 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee>
wrote:

> >Hi
> >
> >OP can replace N with any value, or formula, or cell reference! Formulas
can
> >depend on data type, but never on their orign . :-)

Hi

"...that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers are at
least 40 or above."
So as I understood, she wants a list of different values. It isn't clear
from OP's message, how much different values in list will be - but it isn't
excluded, than for every original value a matching calculated value must be
given. Exactly what my formula does, in my opinion.

But really, the original message was somewhat messy, and allows different
interpretations - depending on which part of it you are concentrated (and
I'm afraid our 2 ones from this thread aren't all of them). I'm not saying
your answer is wrong, but we can't be sure, which one (when any of them) is,
what OP wanted, and there is no way to know it without her reporting back.

> I think your translation is faulty.
>
> She said "I need to divide each of those numbers by the same number". I
don't
> see any ambiguity in that statement. N is a constant. Every number in the
new
> list
>
>   =OriginalNumber/N
>
> That's not what you are doing. You are dividing 800 by 10, and 400 by 10,
but
> you are dividing 100 by 2.5. N is 10 in the 1st 2 cases, 2.5 in the 3rd.

No! I'm dividing all numbers with 10, but when the result is less than 40
(another constant), a constant 40 is returned instead of quotient

>    10 <> 2.5
>
> That's not what she said she wanted.
>
> BTW, the formula I proposed for calculating N gives the SMALLEST possible
> value of N. Any number, x, where 0 < x <=N will also suffice.
>
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:54:49 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee>
wrote:

> >Hi
> >

> ><joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> What number?  Judy wrote:  "I have a list of numbers.
> >> I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
> >> number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in
> >> which all of the numbers are at least 40 or above."
> >>
> >> Translation:  Judy wants to find an N such that when
> >> each number in a list is divided by N, the result of
> >> the division will be no less than 40.
> >
> >My translation: Judy wants to create a new list of numbers, where every
> >value is N times less than previous one, but not less than 40, i.e. when
> >N=10 and old value was 800, then the new one will be 80, when old value
was
> >400, the new value is 40, but when old value is p.e. 100, then the new
value
> >will be 40 again.
> >Of-course OP has to copy mu formula to range (down the column).

NO! She asked us how to calculate the value of N.

N is some number. By definition, it is a number that, if you use it to divide
each of a list of existing numbers, the result will be >=40.

I think you are misreading the OP's message.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:42:36 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <arvilaanemets@hot.ee>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>For OP, as follows from message, N is some constant, the value of which she
>didn't share with us
>

>Arvi Laanemets
>

>"Myrna Larson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, but the question is HOW TO CALCULATE N. What is the "value, or
>formula or
>> cell reference" supposed to be?
>>

>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:02:53 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee>
>wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >OP can replace N with any value, or formula, or cell reference! Formulas
>can
>> >depend on data type, but never on their orign . :-)

0
anonymous (74717)

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

outlook task's
i am running ol2002 with the connector for lotus notes. when i enter a task it disappears after a few hours. there doesn't seem to be any specific activity that triggers the problem. any suggestions? ...

Excel program

Auto Number in List Control
What code can I use to automatically display a number, or preferably, text that will display the same "receipt number" as the previous record or the next successive number. For example, I enter a receipt number in a record...when I start the next record, on a form, I want to be able to click in a list box the same receipt number as before or the next receipt number, which would be just the next number in line. -- Gator ...

Campaign & marketing list
Hi there again. If I have a Marketing list object, is there a way to get Campaign that Marketing list belongs to? There are no lookup fields, and in this code an exception is thrown: Dim qe As New QueryExpression() qe.EntityName = EntityName.campaign.ToString() qe.ColumnSet = New Query.AllColumns Dim le As New LinkEntity() le.LinkFromEntityName = EntityName.campaign.ToString() le.LinkFromAttributeName = "campaignid" le.LinkToEntityName = EntityName.listmember.ToString(...

Shift held too long key blocker on can't get it off
Can anyone help? Hi! I had this happen to me a while back. I can't remember what I had to do to fix it, though. This is an operating system setting. Maybe post in a Windows group. I did a quick search of Windows help and of course it was NO help! Biff "plumber1" <plumber1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD9437D5-5BC5-4315-A4A5-0BB4F85E142C@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help? > Maybe it was: windows start button|Control Panel|Accessibility Options|Keyboard tab Something to do with StickyKeys???? (But I don't know what key blocker is.)...

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

% complete not getting updated in project professional
We are usin Priject Server 2003. We have % complete as the default method for reporting progress on tasks. Resource updates the % complete in My Task and submits for Project Managers approvals. Project Manager accepts the changes. It then automatically opens the Project Professional. It is upoosed to update the % complete in the project. But it is not updating the % complete in project and gives updation is successful message. Also if we try to use "Actual work done and work remaining" method, the actual work and remaining duration columns are not seen in My Tasks view...

Error Message When opening Excel

Creating a Chart from Cells that use a List Box
Hi, I am trying to create a number of charts (e.g., pie, line etc) based on data that is slelected from a list box (i.e., data validation). What i would like to do is create the charts before any data is entered (if that makes sense) and as data is entered the charts will display this. ...

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

Publisher's future?
1) What do the big boys have mostly (InDesign and Quark) that makes them stand out from Publisher (no funny remarks here)? 2) Do you think MSPublisher will ever be able to play with the big boys? 3) I'm fairly well adept w/Publisher to have created a newsletter business w/pretty good success. I'm not intimidated by Quark or InDesign, but not interested in the long learning curve. So, I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for a more sophisticated version or if what the others offer are qualities that I'll never need anyway. Any and all opinions would be appreciated....

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Multi-select from a dropdown list
I have a dropdown list but wish to select more than one item from it - is this possible? Not really. Could you replace it with a listbox -- and allow multiple selections? PaulaG wrote: > > I have a dropdown list but wish to select more than one item from it - is > this possible? -- Dave Peterson Hi Paula Only with code This code (not written by me) will allow you to make multiple selections from a data validation cell, and will insert a comma between each selected value Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim rngDV As Range ...

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...