Excel Error: "Formula is too long" when modifying formula

Version:  Excel, Office 2002
Error:  "Formula is too long"
Details:  Select cell containing formula, choose EDIT/REPLACE. Enter
characters to replace, and choose to 'replace' (not replace all)
generates above error message.

Trouble shooting:  Move file to the root of C: incase the directory
path+filename was too long.  This did not help. Moved the 4 linked
tabs to new sheet and get same error.
This is a workbook that contains linked sheets.  Not sure if this
could be a limitation of excel or not.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Billy B.

Hi
you may post your formula. Excel limits the formula to 1024 characters.
So you may have used references to external files with a large
pathname. There are some solutions to prevent this error. e.g. Create
defined names but as said post your formula :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Billy B wrote:
> Version:  Excel, Office 2002
> Error:  "Formula is too long"
> Details:  Select cell containing formula, choose EDIT/REPLACE. Enter
> characters to replace, and choose to 'replace' (not replace all)
> generates above error message.
>
> Trouble shooting:  Move file to the root of C: incase the directory
> path+filename was too long.  This did not help. Moved the 4 linked
> tabs to new sheet and get same error.
> This is a workbook that contains linked sheets.  Not sure if this
> could be a limitation of excel or not.
>
> PLEASE HELP!!!
>
> Billy B.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Circumvent "Series formula is too long"
Hi, I have a weekly weekly data set that is the basis for a trend graph for one year. This works ok until about the 16th week, then I get "Series formula is too long". It seems the use of named range is the only way around this...? I have tried this, looked through previous posts and replies here, but this does not work for me. It seems only applicable to very simple data sets and graphs. The data set is as follows: There are two rows of headers (X) - the first is the week's number, the row below has the value of the week - for instance "Incoming&quo...

My formula is too long, What am I to do?
My formula given below needs to be modified and excel will not allow me to add digits. Is there another way to write this formula that would be more concise or can I extent the capacity of certain cells? Scott Miller University of Washington =SUMPRODUCT(--(DATA!$C$2:$C$1500=98061),--(DATA!$AB$2:$AB$1500>0),--(DATA!$AB$2:$AB$1500<=5))+SUMPRODUCT(--(DATA!$C$2:$C$1500=98110),--(DATA!$AB$2:$AB$1500>0),--(DATA!$AB$2:$AB$1500<=5))+SUMPRODUCT(--(DATA!$C$2:$C$1500=98311),--(DATA!$AB$2:$AB$1500>0),--(DATA!$AB$2:$AB$1500<=5))+SUMPRODUCT(--(DATA!$C$2:$C$1500=98315),--(DATA!$AB$2:$A...

Formula is too long
When I write a formula, that is truly long, I recieve a message "Formul is too long". Is there a way to remove this limitation so that I coul write long formulas? Any help is welcome. kra -- kra ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kras's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2866 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53407 There is no way (as far as I am aware) of removing the limitation. A work round would be to have two additional columns. Columns A and B should have par...

multiple sumproducts and now formula is too long
ok guys. here is my problem. i am using several sumproducts and adding them together to get a value. note that the range I am suming is the same column. =sumproduct((condition1=a)*(condition2=b),C1:C1000)+sumproduct((condition3=c)*(condition4=d),C1:C1000) Anyway I am also using indirects and the formula becomes too long and won't let me finish it. Is there a way to combine the sumproducts? =sumproduct(((condition1=a)*(condition2=b))OR((condition3=c)*(condition4=d)),C1:C1000) thanks in advance don't worry. all sorted. just had to put a "+" inbetween the di...

Excel Error: "Formula is too long" when modifying formula
Version: Excel, Office 2002 Error: "Formula is too long" Details: Select cell containing formula, choose EDIT/REPLACE. Enter characters to replace, and choose to 'replace' (not replace all) generates above error message. Trouble shooting: Move file to the root of C: incase the directory path+filename was too long. This did not help. Moved the 4 linked tabs to new sheet and get same error. This is a workbook that contains linked sheets. Not sure if this could be a limitation of excel or not. PLEASE HELP!!! Billy B. Hi you may post your formula. Excel limits the form...

How do I get around Excel formula is too long error message?
I am in the process of creating multiple links to multiple wookbooks (within one cell) and keep running into the problem that the formula will start giving me the error message that the formula is too long. Is there a way that I could disable this feature, thus allowing me to expand the formula to include additional links to additional workbooks. Please advise. Thanks Hi post yoiur existing formula. This is not a feature but a fixed restriction (no way around it). Some common solutions - split your formula - use defined names -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: &...

Error message "formula is too long"
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet that, when opened, executes some SQL queries against a SQL Server 2000 DB. This function works correctly. This spreadsheet is part of an automated process. This process starts Excel up in the background, the data is pulled since the spreadsheet is opened, and the results are saved to an HTML file. The thing is, my users have requested I setup the spreadsheet such that if someone opens up the spreadsheet, they can easily manually modify something such that it will pull data from a date/time of their choice. I can think of multiple ways of doin...

replace() "Formula is too long" VBscript
[COLOR=blue][COLOR=tomato][COLOR=orangered] Hi everyone: Im currently writting a vbscript which removes tags <*> from all cell within a worksheet. Problem is that when i use replace <*> with "" fo a cell that exceeds 1024 characters, an error of formula is too lon will pop up hence terminating the replacing method. This is urgent so please suggest what I can do to get around it, than you all : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com How about picking them up with the LEN function and splitting them int useable 1000 character chunks using conbinations of RIGHT...

"Formula is too long"?? Any way to make it longer?
I'm typing in a formula when, after about 8 or 9 lines a message pops up that says that the formula is too long. Is there any way to make it longer? I need it to be around 25- 30 lines long to complete the formula. Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to do and post your formula. DO NOT attach the file to the ng. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Joseph" <jdr99a@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0cde01c39d5d$1ec14d90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I'm typing in a formula when, after about 8 or 9 lines a > message pops up that ...