Excel Drop Down lists

I've created a spreadsheet with a drop down list, however, i want the user
to be able to select an from a list of options, which would then poplulate
the cell with an associated code

If they selected "slate" from the list below, the information put into the
cell would be SL, any idea or advice on how i do this?

Kindest regards

Marta

Slate                             SL

Begin by selecting that cell and choosing Data Validation again and go to the
[Error Alert] tab and clear the checkbox that says to show an error message
when an entry not in the list is entered into the cell.

Put code similar to this into the worksheet's event code module and edit it
as needed:
  'change this address as required
  'this is the address of the cell with
  'the list to select from in in and
  'for this purpose you must include
  'the $ symbol before the column & row
  'portions of the address
  If Target.Address <> "$D$1" Then
    'not the right cell
    Exit Sub
  End If
  Select Case LCase(Target.Value)
    'make sure you spell the
    'words in the list in
    'all lowercase for the
    'tests here
    Case Is = "slate"
      Target = "SL"
    Case Is = "steel"
      Target = "ST"
    Case Is = "silver"
      Target = "SI"
    'add more Case Is =
    'statements as needed
    Case Else
      'do nothing
  End Select

End Sub

To put the code in the right place, select that worksheet and right-click on
its name tab and choose [View Code] from the list.  That will open up the
proper code module and you can copy the code above and paste it into the
module, make needed edits and then close the VB editor.

"Marta123" wrote:

> I've created a spreadsheet with a drop down list, however, i want the user
> to be able to select an from a list of options, which would then poplulate
> the cell with an associated code
>
> If they selected "slate" from the list below, the information put into the
> cell would be SL, any idea or advice on how i do this?
>
> Kindest regards
>
> Marta
>

> Slate                             SL

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

Auto Number in List Control
What code can I use to automatically display a number, or preferably, text that will display the same "receipt number" as the previous record or the next successive number. For example, I enter a receipt number in a record...when I start the next record, on a form, I want to be able to click in a list box the same receipt number as before or the next receipt number, which would be just the next number in line. -- Gator ...

Excel program

Campaign & marketing list
Hi there again. If I have a Marketing list object, is there a way to get Campaign that Marketing list belongs to? There are no lookup fields, and in this code an exception is thrown: Dim qe As New QueryExpression() qe.EntityName = EntityName.campaign.ToString() qe.ColumnSet = New Query.AllColumns Dim le As New LinkEntity() le.LinkFromEntityName = EntityName.campaign.ToString() le.LinkFromAttributeName = "campaignid" le.LinkToEntityName = EntityName.listmember.ToString(...

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Creating a Chart from Cells that use a List Box
Hi, I am trying to create a number of charts (e.g., pie, line etc) based on data that is slelected from a list box (i.e., data validation). What i would like to do is create the charts before any data is entered (if that makes sense) and as data is entered the charts will display this. ...

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Multi-select from a dropdown list
I have a dropdown list but wish to select more than one item from it - is this possible? Not really. Could you replace it with a listbox -- and allow multiple selections? PaulaG wrote: > > I have a dropdown list but wish to select more than one item from it - is > this possible? -- Dave Peterson Hi Paula Only with code This code (not written by me) will allow you to make multiple selections from a data validation cell, and will insert a comma between each selected value Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim rngDV As Range ...

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Create Drop Down Box populated by a List
Would someone please tell me if I can Create a Drop Down Box populated by a List from another Worksheet which will Select an item from the Drop Down Box populated by the List from the other Worksheet as Input a given Cell. The Drop Down Box should appear and work that way for any selected Cell. thanks, Ted Hi Ted, You will need to name the list from the other sheet. So, select the list, name it and then in the data valadation allow list and in source box enter =TheNameOfTheList. HTH Regards, Howard "Ted_MD" <TedMD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...