excel crashing #3

I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I am
trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4
times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a
different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the
whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that it
is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could copy
all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few files
from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts, etc. I
could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I have
just not the floppy drive.

Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying to a
floppy?
0
robin (55)

Hi

You should never save an Excel sheet directly to a floppy - or open one
directly from a floppy. Always copy to the hard drive and open - or save to
the hard drive and copy to the floppy.

Andy.

"robin" <robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I
>am
> trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4
> times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
> computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a
> different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the
> whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that
> it
> is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could
> copy
> all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few files
> from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts, etc.
> could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I
> have
> just not the floppy drive.
>
> Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying to a
> floppy?

0
Andy
7/7/2005 7:50:24 PM
Bottom line:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/working_with_floppy_disks_in_microsoft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"robin" <robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I
am
> trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4
> times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
> computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a
> different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the
> whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that
it
> is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could
copy
> all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few files
> from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts, etc.
> could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I
have
> just not the floppy drive.
>
> Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying to a
> floppy?

0
ng1 (1444)
7/7/2005 7:57:05 PM
Ok thanks for the heads up but do you or anyone out there no why it is
locking excel up? I can save to a floppy on other machines but not to this
particular one. Any help would be appreciated...

"Andy" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You should never save an Excel sheet directly to a floppy - or open one
> directly from a floppy. Always copy to the hard drive and open - or save to
> the hard drive and copy to the floppy.
>
> Andy.
>
> "robin" <robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I
> >am
> > trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4
> > times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
> > computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a
> > different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the
> > whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that
> > it
> > is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could
> > copy
> > all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few files
> > from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts, etc.
> > could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I
> > have
> > just not the floppy drive.
> >
> > Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying to a
> > floppy?

0
robin (55)
7/7/2005 8:01:04 PM
Robin: My guess is that the file is now too big...
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

> Ok thanks for the heads up but do you or anyone out there no why it is
> locking excel up? I can save to a floppy on other machines but not to this
> particular one. Any help would be appreciated...
>
> "Andy" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > You should never save an Excel sheet directly to a floppy - or open one
> > directly from a floppy. Always copy to the hard drive and open - or save
> > the hard drive and copy to the floppy.
> >
> > Andy.
> >
> > "robin" <robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs.
When I
> > >am
> > > trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or
4
> > > times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
> > > computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies,
copying a
> > > different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling
the
> > > whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice
that
> > > it
> > > is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I
could
> > > copy
> > > all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few
files
> > > from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts,
etc.
> > > could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I
> > > have
> > > just not the floppy drive.
> > >
> > > Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying
to a
> > > floppy?

0
ng1 (1444)
7/7/2005 8:38:32 PM
I have the same problem as Robin. I have two users. User 1 has Windows 2000
and Office 2000 and user 2 has Windows 2000 and Office 2003. Both have been
doing the same routine for years without a problem. All of a sudden they both
have problem with Office freezing when saving to floppy. User 1 is using
Excel and user 2 with Word. I know everyone says don't save directly to
floppy but these users do. The problem is from a Windows Update but I don't
know which one. Can anyone help figure this out? Thanks!

"robin" wrote:

> I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I am
> trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4
> times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
> computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a
> different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the
> whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that it
> is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could copy
> all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few files
> from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts, etc. I
> could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I have
> just not the floppy drive.
>
> Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying to a
> floppy?
0
Michael5492 (655)
7/14/2005 5:21:03 PM
See also:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843504#XSLTH3364121123120121120120

its a tips list, so look at "Do not open and save directly from
floppy disk

--
Jonathan Ma
Jonathan May's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1092

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

New CRM 3.0 Server
I am currently running CRM 3.0 on Server 2003 Sm. Biz. 2003. For various reasons I am moving to a newer, larger Sm. Biz. 2003 server. On the new server I plan to install CRM 3.0. Is it possible to merge the data from server1 to server2? Both versions of SQL and and CRM 3.0 are the same. If not, how do I move the current database from server1 to server2? Thanks! you can try the CRM Redeployment tool "Christian" <Christian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:892E09CC-6828-44BE-A08E-F22B6C5EA4F7@microsoft.com... >I am currently running CRM 3.0 on Serv...

Email from Excel #3

version excel

MS CRM 3.0 - Availability of User for Assignment
Hello All, I am having this unusal requirement. I am having 3 Businsss Units with its User base. I have set Roles for all the Users from All the BU such that they can view/read Users from their own Business Units. So whenever User assigns the record they can assign it to any User withing their BU. However I have requirement where a specific User can be assinged to the record by Users in any BU. This user can be in any BU (it can have its own BU also). So special Incidents can be assigned to this Special User by Users in any BU. How to achieve this by Roles configuration? I tried all...

Publisher 2007 crashes when trying to open website created with 20
One of my websites works with 2007 because it was named index.html within its file but the other doesn't that was named by its name.pub, I tried to rename it index.html but it didn't work, its icon became one of IE instead of Publisher like my first website. I ran office diagnostics and no error was found. Any help much appreciated. ...

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...