Excel 97 vs. Excel 2002

What's the difference between Excel 1997 and Excel 2002 (in brief).
Is there a way to save a 2002 version file so it won't open in 1997 version
program?
Specific context:
  I have a 2002 file that doesn't allow users to access protected cells.
This is essential for the file to work as designed.
When I open it in a 1997 version almost everything seems to work correctly,
except
that the users can access protected cells.  Which f's everything up
completely!
I'd rather they weren't able to open it in 1997 version.
  Also when I save it it in 1997 it sometimes turns off the conditional
formatting
which is only 90% as bad as the above problem.
Thanks for any help.
--
Pete

The file format is the same, but 2002 has more protection options.  You
have probably not protected enough things for 97 to recognize that the
sheet is protected.

Jerry

Pdek wrote:

> What's the difference between Excel 1997 and Excel 2002 (in brief).
> Is there a way to save a 2002 version file so it won't open in 1997 version
> program?
> Specific context:
>   I have a 2002 file that doesn't allow users to access protected cells.
> This is essential for the file to work as designed.
> When I open it in a 1997 version almost everything seems to work correctly,
> except
> that the users can access protected cells.  Which f's everything up
> completely!
> I'd rather they weren't able to open it in 1997 version.
>   Also when I save it it in 1997 it sometimes turns off the conditional
> formatting
> which is only 90% as bad as the above problem.
> Thanks for any help.

0
post_a_reply (1395)
5/9/2005 6:48:19 PM
I'll go back in and try to protect everything,
but do you have any key things that have to be protected in order to make sure
a 97 user can't select (put his cursor on) a protected cell?
Thanks.
--
Pete

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> The file format is the same, but 2002 has more protection options.  You
> have probably not protected enough things for 97 to recognize that the
> sheet is protected.
>
> Jerry
>
> Pdek wrote:
>
> > What's the difference between Excel 1997 and Excel 2002 (in brief).
> > Is there a way to save a 2002 version file so it won't open in 1997 version
> > program?
> > Specific context:
> >   I have a 2002 file that doesn't allow users to access protected cells.
> > This is essential for the file to work as designed.
> > When I open it in a 1997 version almost everything seems to work correctly,
> > except
> > that the users can access protected cells.  Which f's everything up
> > completely!
> > I'd rather they weren't able to open it in 1997 version.
> >   Also when I save it it in 1997 it sometimes turns off the conditional
> > formatting
> > which is only 90% as bad as the above problem.
> > Thanks for any help.

There wasn't a whole lot left to protect
The protect/shhet box asked for things that I wanted to allow the user to do.
The key thing is that I want the user to be able to enter data into 6 and
only 6 cells.
So I had "select unprotected cells" checked.
Also sometimes the answers come out too large, so I had "format columns" and
"format cells" checked as unprotected.
I've just unchecked the "format cells"
so all that's left unprotected is "select unprotected cells" and "format
columns"
I'll see if that works upstairs now, but it will be a pain (for large
numbers) if I have to uncheck "format columns"
Thanks
--
Pete

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> The file format is the same, but 2002 has more protection options.  You
> have probably not protected enough things for 97 to recognize that the
> sheet is protected.
>
> Jerry
>
> Pdek wrote:
>
> > What's the difference between Excel 1997 and Excel 2002 (in brief).
> > Is there a way to save a 2002 version file so it won't open in 1997 version
> > program?
> > Specific context:
> >   I have a 2002 file that doesn't allow users to access protected cells.
> > This is essential for the file to work as designed.
> > When I open it in a 1997 version almost everything seems to work correctly,
> > except
> > that the users can access protected cells.  Which f's everything up
> > completely!
> > I'd rather they weren't able to open it in 1997 version.
> >   Also when I save it it in 1997 it sometimes turns off the conditional
> > formatting
> > which is only 90% as bad as the above problem.
> > Thanks for any help.

You could manually select the cells you want the users to be able to use,
then do format>cells>protection and uncheck locked, then protect the sheet,
now the cells you unlocked will be open, you can also use an event macro to
control the input.
Normally if you design a workbook for 97-2003 it's better to design it in
Excel 97, everything that is available in 97 is available in later version
(except the help which was far better in 97). That way you won't get surpised
with things that were added in later versions

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Pdek" wrote:

> There wasn't a whole lot left to protect
> The protect/shhet box asked for things that I wanted to allow the user to do.
> The key thing is that I want the user to be able to enter data into 6 and
> only 6 cells.
> So I had "select unprotected cells" checked.
> Also sometimes the answers come out too large, so I had "format columns" and
> "format cells" checked as unprotected.
> I've just unchecked the "format cells"
> so all that's left unprotected is "select unprotected cells" and "format
> columns"
> I'll see if that works upstairs now, but it will be a pain (for large
> numbers) if I have to uncheck "format columns"
> Thanks
> --
> Pete
>

> "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:
>
> > The file format is the same, but 2002 has more protection options.  You
> > have probably not protected enough things for 97 to recognize that the
> > sheet is protected.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > Pdek wrote:
> >
> > > What's the difference between Excel 1997 and Excel 2002 (in brief).
> > > Is there a way to save a 2002 version file so it won't open in 1997 version
> > > program?
> > > Specific context:
> > >   I have a 2002 file that doesn't allow users to access protected cells.
> > > This is essential for the file to work as designed.
> > > When I open it in a 1997 version almost everything seems to work correctly,
> > > except
> > > that the users can access protected cells.  Which f's everything up
> > > completely!
> > > I'd rather they weren't able to open it in 1997 version.
> > >   Also when I save it it in 1997 it sometimes turns off the conditional
> > > formatting
> > > which is only 90% as bad as the above problem.
> > > Thanks for any help.

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
5/9/2005 7:42:15 PM
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You could manually select the cells you want the users to be able to use,
> then do format>cells>protection and uncheck locked, then protect the sheet,
> now the cells you unlocked will be open,

That's what I did from the beginning, but 97 users are able to select the
protected cells.
I guess I'll see if 97 allows me to stop people from selecting the protected
cells
and I guess turn off the ability to format columns.
AS far as "event macros" go - I'm a virgin, but it sounds as if it would lead
the user by the hand too much.  I've got 6 cells and there's 10 things that
the user can do just by entering a few numbers (or changing a few numbers) so
it's
very easy to do (provided they are limited to just changing 6 numbers), but
much
longer to program - and impossible if they go wandering around the
spreadsheet.

By the way, what percentage of American users use the 97 version.
Maybe I should just say "fogetabodit." (sp?)

Pete

>you can also use an event macro to
> control the input.
> Normally if you design a workbook for 97-2003 it's better to design it in
> Excel 97, everything that is available in 97 is available in later version
> (except the help which was far better in 97). That way you won't get surpised
> with things that were added in later versions
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Pdek" wrote:
>
> > There wasn't a whole lot left to protect
> > The protect/shhet box asked for things that I wanted to allow the user to do.
> > The key thing is that I want the user to be able to enter data into 6 and
> > only 6 cells.
> > So I had "select unprotected cells" checked.
> > Also sometimes the answers come out too large, so I had "format columns" and
> > "format cells" checked as unprotected.
> > I've just unchecked the "format cells"
> > so all that's left unprotected is "select unprotected cells" and "format
> > columns"
> > I'll see if that works upstairs now, but it will be a pain (for large
> > numbers) if I have to uncheck "format columns"
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Pete
> >

> > "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:
> >
> > > The file format is the same, but 2002 has more protection options.  You
> > > have probably not protected enough things for 97 to recognize that the
> > > sheet is protected.
> > >
> > > Jerry

If you protect the sheet in code, it'll work for xl97+ (as long as the macro
runs):

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
    With Worksheets("sheet1")
        .Protect Password:="hi"
        .EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
    End With
End Sub

Excel won't remember these settings after you close it and reopen the workbook
(that's why it's in auto_open).

--

Dave Peterson
0

Still interested in whether any significant number of US users use 97, or is
it just here in Hungary?
--
Pete

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You could manually select the cells you want the users to be able to use,
> then do format>cells>protection and uncheck locked, then protect the sheet,
> now the cells you unlocked will be open, you can also use an event macro to
> control the input.
> Normally if you design a workbook for 97-2003 it's better to design it in
> Excel 97, everything that is available in 97 is available in later version
> (except the help which was far better in 97). That way you won't get surpised
> with things that were added in later versions
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Pdek" wrote:
>
> > There wasn't a whole lot left to protect
> > The protect/shhet box asked for things that I wanted to allow the user to do.
> > The key thing is that I want the user to be able to enter data into 6 and
> > only 6 cells.
> > So I had "select unprotected cells" checked.
> > Also sometimes the answers come out too large, so I had "format columns" and
> > "format cells" checked as unprotected.
> > I've just unchecked the "format cells"
> > so all that's left unprotected is "select unprotected cells" and "format
> > columns"
> > I'll see if that works upstairs now, but it will be a pain (for large
> > numbers) if I have to uncheck "format columns"
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Pete
> >

> > "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:
> >
> > > The file format is the same, but 2002 has more protection options.  You
> > > have probably not protected enough things for 97 to recognize that the
> > > sheet is protected.
> > >
> > > Jerry

97 does not have this level of protection.

Users can select protected cells but not enter anything into them

VBA would be required to stop users from selecting protected cells in 97.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:00:04 -0700, "Pdek" <pdek_man2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>That's what I did from the beginning, but 97 users are able to select the
>protected cells.
>I guess I'll see if 97 allows me to stop people from selecting the protected
>cells

0
Gord
5/9/2005 8:39:56 PM
"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> skrev i melding
> VBA would be required to stop users from selecting protected cells in 97.

Hi Pete

VBA would also be required to keep Excel97 users from operating the file.
Which is a pretty simple operation, once you ensured that macros are enabled
and running, that is.

But I can't for the life of me see how selecting a protected cell can "f up
completely", or even "slightly disturb", an application. Rethink your design
and/or your priorities. My 0.02 only.

Best wishes Harald

0
innocent (844)
5/9/2005 8:56:25 PM
"Pdek" <pdek_man2000@yahoo.com> wrote...
>What's the difference between Excel 1997 and Excel 2002 (in brief).
>Is there a way to save a 2002 version file so it won't open in 1997 version
>program?

Excel 97 can open workbooks created by newer versions. You could use macros
to check Excel version and close the workbook under Excel 97, but users can
disable macros.

Always best to design and implement for the *OLDEST* version of software in
use, meaning you should have developed using Excel 97. If your workbook
works in Excel 97, it's a near certainty it'll work in newer versions.

As for large numbers, always design for boundary conditions. Even if most of
your fields only need to show 5 or fewer digits, if some need 8 or 9, then
your column widths need to accommodate 9.

As for selecting protected cells, do you mean you have worksheets that look
like forms/dialogs, and selecting protected cells destroys the illusion?
Again, you could use macros, specifically SheetSelectionChange, to return to
the first unprotected cell if the user selects a protected cell.

0
hrlngrv (1990)

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Append data to table...Access to 97 conversion error
Error 2391, Field 'F1' doesn't exist in the destination table Why do I get this error when I try to append data from a .csv file into an Acces table code line: DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, , "Invoice", Filename, False Please help ...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Entering hour minute only 'now' in Excel (without day/date)
How to change Time now function to give only Hour/minute time 'now' in Excel Hi just format the cell with the custom format hh:mm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7A1AFC42-791F-4397-94F2-91DE0ADB34D7@microsoft.com... > How to change Time now function to give only Hour/minute time 'now' in > Excel ...

Excel to Excel Automation
Could someone please explain the best process for taking data that has been typed into certain cells in spreadsheet and sending this information to another spreadsheet, in a different location.. Is this possible thorough VBA. Thanks for any advice.. Larry Bargers -- lbargers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lbargers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211 You are really better off using the destination to pull the info from the ...