Excel 97 - Group and Outline on a Protected Worksheet problems.

Hi all.

I'm currently designing an Excel spreadsheet at work, and everything is
exactly the way I want it when unprotected. However, my group and
outline (1 group for each Quarter of the year (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4) and 1
group for Yearly summary (QSummary)) does not expand when I protect the
worksheet. The worksheet MUST be protected as I have some extremely
large formulas and chart data that I need locked / hidden, but I want
the users to be able to select what quarter they enter data into.
Currently, I have to unlock the worksheet every time I want to expand a
new section.

Does anybody know a way that I can protect my formulas from being
changed while still allowing me to expand / contract outlines?

An afterthought. Maybe it is possible to unprotect the worksheet when I
click on the EXPAND button, and reprotect it when I click on a cell
with a formula. The problem I have with the protect when clicked (if a
formula exists in that cell) (which I can use, but don't want to) is,
that I have to be in a non-formula cell to expand, and I cannot protect
things like labels.

Thanks,
-Bob

---

You need to add code to momentarily unprotect the sheet while changes
are made, and then re-protect.

Therefore a custom button or whatever will be required.

---

I already came up with a temporary solution, but shot it down once I
finalized the sheet.

My solution was this.

Using code from Exceltip, I did the following.

Dim rng As Range
For Each rng In Target.Cells
If rng.HasFormula Then
ActiveSheet.Protect
Exit Sub
Else
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
End If
Next rng
End Sub

And then made it so that all my "Labels" that I did not want changed
were =IF(A1="","LABEL NAME,""). This worked fine, as long as I did not
protect the sheet with a password. But once I put a password on the
sheet, clicking in a cell with out a formula (hence, one I want users
to put data into) asks for the password.

Is there any way to either a) Use the above code, but input a password,
even into the code, and then password protect the code to hide it, so
that, to manually unprotect the sheet, I would still have to input my
password, or

b) Another was to do what I require?

Thanks for reading,

-Bob

---

Hey, cool, I figured it out.

My workstation doesnt have VBA_XL8.hlp, so I have to figure it ou
manually, but I found out that ActiveSheet.Protect has a passwor
argument.

So,

ActiveSheet.Protect ("passwordname")

and

ActiveSheet.Unprotect ("passwordname")

Now replace the code seen previous. My next question starts a ne
thread.

Thanks for the help!

-Bo

Possible MSVCRT.dll problem
I get these errors when trying to install any version of Iomega's EMC = Retrospect Express HD for Windows. Using Windows 2000 Prof. =20 Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pls post and also email to me = at brotherdave@bigfoot.com. Thanks! Bob MSVCRT.dll for Win32 Error: MSVCRT.dll is not compatible with Win32s. The application failed to initialize properly [0xc0000142]. Click on OK = to terminate the application. How does your question pertain to Outlook Express functionality? EMC� Retrospect� Express HD - System Requirements http://www.retrospect.com/pro...

CList problem: double entries...
I'm having trouble workin with a simple CList: the function always adds the first element twice and I don't know why. also, the later added elements do not appear immediately in the list, but only on the next function call... here is the code: ---------------- CList<CASystem, CASystem> AllCAS; CASystem *GetCreateCASystem(int ID) { bool bFound = false; CASystem *pCAS = NULL; // check if AS list exists if(AllCAS.IsEmpty()) { // create new AS pCAS = new CASystem; pCAS->ID = ID; ...

Printing an Excel doucument

Beware apparent Tax Estimator problem in M+
The Tax Line Manager shows a "tax category" (my term for lack of a better name--these are kinda cryptic like budget groups) called "State taxes" as being associated with Schedule A. I have a category "Taxes : State Income Tax - previous year" associated with "State taxes". Tax Line Manager shows amounts from transactions categorized as "Taxes : State Income Tax - previous year". So far so good. And there it stops. Tax Estimator doesn't add the amounts from this "State taxes" tax category into the "Deductible Taxes"...

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

WOrksheets 12-21-09
I have one file with two worksheets. They are both the same, but one worksheet needs to be re arranged to be easier to read alter information while the other has to remain in a certain format so it can be uploaded into my accounting system. They have been successfully linked, but when I g to re arrange the first worksheet, it automatically re arranges the second worksheet when I dont want it to. The current formula I have is =Worksheet!$D$2 Thanks Hi Smirlface, Re-arrange the second worksheet instead. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Smirlface...

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Function Problem 12-07-07
Hello...ok I have a form with a button that I am trying to get to call on a function. I have been able to do this and the funtion processes but I keep getting an error. Now, the funtion works perfectly if I run it from the switchboard/menu, but when run from the form button I get this error: "The action or method requires a Table Name argument" Here is the code I have: Private Sub Update_All_Records_Click() On Error GoTo Update_All_Records_Click_Err DoCmd.OpenFunction Public_Income_Update_Step_1 Update_All_Records_Click_Exit: Exit Sub Update_All_Records_Click_Err: M...

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Append data to table...Access to 97 conversion error
Error 2391, Field 'F1' doesn't exist in the destination table Why do I get this error when I try to append data from a .csv file into an Acces table code line: DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, , "Invoice", Filename, False Please help ...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...